User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 351, where is the transfer switch?

You know, if would be real nice if the owners manual included locations of things, like, for example, the stupid router that took me hours to find. And now I'm on the hunt for something else, the transfer switch between genny and shore power. I looked in the gen compartment and didn't see it, and I wondered if anyone knew were it was? I'm installing an automatic gen start switch, if the rig loses shore power, it'll kick in the genny automatically, but I need to find the switch to do the wiring! <would give my right arm for a detailed wiring schematic on these things!>

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely on the floor behind the false wall in the basement.

On a side note, you have a new unit, are you sure the generator menu on the MyRV control panel doesnt include an auto start capability?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I never even looked! I do seem to have a "auto start" in my menu. I can set it "when needed by HVAC". Will that do what I want, if the shore power cuts out and the temp rises (or falls) the genny will kick on? That would be very nice.

Interesting, when I try to turn on auto start, I get a "device could not be found" on my phone. Not sure what exactly that's all about, but I guess I need to go out and give it a shot, see if the autostart function on the device will do what I want.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the One Control only does it for HVAC call and low batteries.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Overtaxed On my 2019 381 (which is just a longer version of the 351) I have played with the auto-start on the OneControl. I don't know if your 351 is older or newer than mine, so take this for what it's worth. When you use the "when needed for A/C" function, it will start the genny whenever the A/C needs to come on (whatever you have the A/C set to) regardless of whether or not you're connected to shore power. The other function you can use is when the battery voltage drops to a certain point. You can set it to 12v for example, and when the battery voltage drops to that voltage or below, the genny will start. The caveat is if you're plugged in to shore power, in theory your batteries will not drop since they are charging. If you lose shore power, the battery(ies) will eventually drop and the genny will start. It's not the best system, but it will essentially do what you want. The transfer switch is in the basement behind the false wall. I found it when I installed my hard wired surge protector. You can pinpoint it by following the # 6 cable from the shore power plug and the genny cable. They both terminate at the transfer switch.

John
    Last edited by LV Naturist; 12-23-2019 at 12:07 PM.
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks guys, I'll get out there and take a look when it stops raining. Any tips for how to get the false wall out? I know where you're talking about, just not sure how to get in there, unscrew it, or is there a way to drop it down/out of the way?

Given the responses, I'm still going to put the RVAutomations switch in. I want this dead simple, switch thrown to enable autostart, shore power lost, just start the genny. I think the OneControl method is interesting, but I really don't care if a burn a few gallons extra because the genny started when it wasn't needed (and, of course, I could still use the OneControl function for dry camping with my wife and I in the rig). I just want something stupid simple, if A->B, if B->C functionality. I'd never forgive myself if a sensor failed and the genny didn't start because it didn't think it was "hot enough" in the rig to need AC. And, of course, having OneControl does give me a secondary backup, if I forgot to enable the autostart on shore power loss, if I set OneControl to start at a certain temp, that would give me a backup (to the backup!). That's the way I like things, have multiple layers of redundancy built in.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To remove the wall, there 5 screws (going by memory here). Basically one in each corner of the wall on the entrance door side of the compartment, and 3 on the water closet side, each corner and one in the center. The wall will be free to move out of the way, although you will have to unplug and disconnect the built-in vacuum if equipped to fully remove the wall.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]