User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Portable Generator - Advise / Recommendations

Hope everyone is safe today! I'm looking for generator advise or recommendations. Looking to power up our Solitude S-Class 3350RL-R as well as utilizing the same generator as a back up for my home. Here is the generator that's winning in my research:

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...8500-generator

My Questions:

- I want to see if anyone is currently using one of these? And how they like it?

- This generator provides less than 5% THD which is very clean power, would this be sufficient for the AC's and sensitive electronics?

Any information would be GREAT! Thanks in Advance and Stay Safe out there!

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be heavy and noisy for RV use. Fine for home back up. I had similar generator for home back up at one time but would never want to use it with my RV due to its weight and noise level.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that thing will sound like a rusty chainsaw running. IMO, NOT for RV use.....Honda, very quiet.....Other very quiet gen sets available for less....
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want an inverter generator that has rpms to match the electrical load. They're quiet and efficient. Only RV's I've seen use those contractor generators were the rednecks at the Talladega racetrack.

Checkout the Champion model 3000 watts. It's 90% as good as the Honda or Yamaha comparable unit for 40% of the price. You can get it with remote control too. They're for sale online too but Advance Auto Parts sells them. Really good company with good customer service.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToothHunter View Post
    Hope everyone is safe today! I'm looking for generator advise or recommendations. Looking to power up our Solitude S-Class 3350RL-R as well as utilizing the same generator as a back up for my home. Here is the generator that's winning in my research:

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...8500-generator

My Questions:

- I want to see if anyone is currently using one of these? And how they like it?

- This generator provides less than 5% THD which is very clean power, would this be sufficient for the AC's and sensitive electronics?

Any information would be GREAT! Thanks in Advance and Stay Safe out there!

Brian
    Lots of fake reviews are posted online so take those with a grain of salt.
    I ran a poll a couple months ago on the Grand Design Boondockers Facebook group asking which brand inverter generator people currently own.
    The people answering this post were all Grand Design owners.
    I listed every brand I could think of including the Westinghouse.
    The vast majority chose the Honda.
    I own the Honda as well, but I was surprised to see those results, because of the cost. But obviously most Grand Design owners don’t mind paying for quality.
    About half chose Champion, a little less run the Harbor Freight, the numbers dwindled from there.
    3 chose the Westy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	25804

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	25806

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda is the best I have a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 it is a Honda clone ... super quiet ... we have 4 in our RV family ... simple plug in with 30 amp adapter .... later Frank Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200228_110240.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25807 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200228_110221.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	25808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200229_132910.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	25809
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not an Onan? Not an issue of cost.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
    Honda is the best I have a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 it is a Honda clone ... super quiet ... we have 4 in our RV family ... simple plug in with 30 amp adapter .... later Frank
    Same here...I even mount my Predator 3500 on a bumper carrier just like Frank!

You can’t beat the amps for the money with the Predator! I got it on sale plus an extra discount for joining the Harbor
    Freight buyers club that got me the generator plus a 2yr extended warranty for under $800 out the door.

I’ve put ~100hrs on it in 16mo and not a single complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John and Jessica - Plus 3 Kids...2 Cats...2 Dogs
    Tucson, AZ - Sabino Creek

2019 Imagine 2800BH
    Towing with 2018 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Super Crew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ToothHunter one thing I wanted to point out is even though the Westinghouse genny is rated at 8500 watts, you don't have all of that available to run your RV. Looking at the control panel, you'll notice both the L5-30R plug and the L14-30R plug is only rated at 30 amps (or 3600 watts). The circuit breaker the plug is wired through is going to be your limiting factor. With my old travel trailer, we used a Champion 3600 watt (it was a 30 amp trailer) and still had to use some power management techniques to make it work. Your 5'er is 50 amp, so just be aware you will have limited power available no matter which genset you get. Unless you go with a dedicated RV genset like the Onan 5500.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like the L14-30R plug is 240VAC, so you will have up to 7200 available. The problem would be balance between the legs though, as I doubt the Westinghouse will want to run with one leg loaded and not the other. This would be a good question for Westinghouse to answer. It would be nice to hook up each leg of the camper if it can do it with unbalanced loading on the gen.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast