User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long does the battery last using lights and water pump?

Hi all,

We've never used our camper without an electrical source. We are going to be camping for 4 days with no power. I only have one battery. I'm guessing we won't be able to use lights at all given the need to open and close the slides and use the water pump? Will just the water pump be a risk?
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any type of solar, even just a cheap one that clips to battery leads. If so you may be ok. If not another option is to plug trailer into truck and run truck for a while to charge trailer battery. It won't charge very fast but will charge it. Or hook booster cables from truck battery to trailer battery. Just don't leave truck hooked up without it running or you could kill truck battery too then really be stuck.
    If at all possible I park where booster cables will reach from truck battery to trailer batteries, had to boost truck off trailer before when interior light got left on in truck

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

We've never used our camper without an electrical source. We are going to be camping for 4 days with no power. I only have one battery. I'm guessing we won't be able to use lights at all given the need to open and close the slides and use the water pump? Will just the water pump be a risk?
    Can't give much of an estimate, not knowing the size of your battery, how many lights for how long, or how often you'll use the water pump....

But, my previous 5th had two 6v batteries. Running the LED lights, only in the areas we were actually in (just kitchen, then off, just bathroom, then off, etc.), keeping water use to a bare minimum (saves water and pump running), fridge on gas (but it does use a bit of 12v too), using the TV for 2 hrs a night off an inverter, and a cpap set for minimal power off the inverter....I could get 2 1/2 days.
    If the battery is what the dealer installed, you likely have 1/2 the power to begin with. But my inverter stuff took a good chunk of power. So as a very wild guess, you might last 3 days. Maybe the 4 if very, very frugal. LED lights use very little power. The pump does suck a lot, but only when running, and it does not run all the time, only on demand. BTW - fans also suck a fair pit of power, so avoid their use.

As noted, if you do run it down, hook up to the truck to power slides/jacks. Or even to slowly put some charge back in the trailer. Test this before hand - some trucks do not have a fuse installed for the power circuit from their charge system to the trailer plug. Bring the jumper cables, just in case.

It shortens life to run battery down below 1/2 capacity. And can be very bad if you run it until it is dead.

Do a search, and you can come up with the power usages that other measured on their trailers for each device, and do some math to figure out an estimate for how long they can run based on the capacity of the battery.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I do not have any solar equipment. We are a family of 5 so I'm thinking the pump will get a fair amount of use. I'm thinking if I have time i might run and get a 2nd battery.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 AGM group 31 batteries in my 5th with family of 4. Kids use lots of power and don't always understand turn lights off as soon as your done in a room. We have gone 4 days and still had power using water pump, fridge, lights, power inverter and charging 4 tablets and 4 phones

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider getting one of the 2000 watt inverter generators to charge the battery when needed.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's one on-line article about calculating amp-hour usage and battery capacity. http://trailertraveler.net/calculate-rv-amp-usage/
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested this out when I first got the 2800bh. We acted normally, ie. did not try to save energy, and we drained the stock battery in 36 hrs. The battery was a junk deep cycle with like 72 amp hrs. Now I have 2 6v batteries in series, which makes 1 big 12v, and I can get 230 amp hrs. I bet 4 days normal use will be achievable.

I always have a battery pack in my truck. 1000 amp. Whatever needs a boost, I can make it happen. Whatever you do, get one. Also get a 300 watt inverter...you can use that with the power pack for stuff if needed.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I would consider getting one of the 2000 watt inverter generators to charge the battery when needed.
    I wouldn’t even consider it...... ......I’d already have it ordered.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    Hi all,

Today's RV's are power hungry. You will be lucky to get thru 1 day before your battery is dead.

I agree with the others. GET a small generator. Get a quiet one, like a 2000i Honda. Get a long fat extension cord too. The battery will take a long time to charge with the stock converter, so bring a 5 gallon can of gas too. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast