User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries Dead in 3 weeks

Hello, I have a 2020 399TH. I put it in storage and turned off the red battery key in the passenger side basement 3 weeks ago.

Today my batteries are dead. Am I missing another switch or procedure?

Thank you for any help or advice

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a common problem unfortunately. There are a few things that draw power even when the battery switch is off. The solution is to either disconnect a battery cable or add a true battery cutoff switch like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply. That looks like a Boston Switch. I’m going to order it.

Any idea what item(s) could be drawing power in the interim?

Thank you again.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandseahawk View Post
    Any idea what item(s) could be drawing power in the interim?
    It depends on the rig but it's usually the CO detector and stereo (clock only). The rear camera (if installed) was powered on some models.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with everything off, a conventional flooded cell battery loses about 15% of its charge in 30 days In moderate temperatures, so it’s best to either keep the battery on charge in storage or bring it home unless you use the trailer often.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    This is a common problem unfortunately. There are a few things that draw power even when the battery switch is off. The solution is to either disconnect a battery cable or add a true battery cutoff switch like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hi,

The switch that you have linked is to be used with two seperate batteries for switching the load between batteries or combining batteries to the load. My understanding is that for the trailer shut off you want a single circuit switch, on off, to completely shut off the powere from the battery. Wouldn't the Blue Sea single circuit 6006 be more appropriate?

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...g-goods&sr=1-1
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    The switch that you have linked is to be used with two seperate batteries for switching the load between batteries or combining batteries to the load.
    Correct. The switch I linked to is for a double battery system. You can choose battery 1, battery 2, both or OFF. It was just an example as it's the one I use. If you have two batteries this switch is nice because you can bypass a dead battery using the switch. There are several other types of switches available using that link depending on your specific needs.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Correct. The switch I linked to is for a double battery system. You can choose battery 1, battery 2, both or OFF. It was just an example as it's the one I use. If you have two batteries this switch is nice because you can bypass a dead battery using the switch. There are several other types of switches available using that link depending on your specific needs.
    So you have two batteries in your Solitude connected together with this switch instead of having a hard wire parallel connection between them. Never thought about connecting two batteries like this. That is why I read this forum, always something new to think about.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&J___ View Post
    So you have two batteries in your Solitude connected together with this switch instead of having a hard wire parallel connection between them. Never thought about connecting two batteries like this. That is why I read this forum, always something new to think about.
    Correct. But, it wasn't my idea. I got it from another forum member :-)

I re-wired the battery compartment of my last Solitude and added the battery cut off switch. I'm about ready to do something similar with my new Solitude. It's a little more involved because it has the factory solar package. Just waiting for a few more parts. In the end there will be only one cable going to each battery. When I picked my RV up from the dealer, there were cables all over the place. One battery post had five cables on it!
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Even with everything off, a conventional flooded cell battery loses about 15% of its charge in 30 days In moderate temperatures, so it’s best to either keep the battery on charge in storage or bring it home unless you use the trailer often.
    That's a little too general. Here's a typical chart of how fast a lead-acid battery self discharges based on ambient temperature:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery self discharge.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	25945

At almost room temp, it takes about 9 months to get to 50% charge level. Depending on how cold it averages over a winter, can be far, far longer before it is something to worry about.
    Texas in the summer, still several months.

With a battery that is in good shape, and starts off with a full charge, there is almost never a need to keep it plugged in, whether with the onboard charger or using a trickle charger, unless one will be storing it for a very long time. Eliminates any risk of damage due to over charge/or too low water levels.
    Fully charged batteries will not freeze until they get to -74(F).

Things that can draw power, even with the red switch flipped:
    1. Smoke detector
    2. Propane/CO detector.
    3. Entertainment Center.
    4. Backup camera (on many units).
    5. Antenna amplifier (if not turned off, on some units).
    6. Emergency brakes (if pin pulled).
    7. Tongue jack on a travel trailer.

So best is to install a true cut-off switch, or disconnect all leads coming off the positive terminals.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast