User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    ^^^^ what Xrated said.

We have this 30 ft 50 amp extension cord. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F17QD9O/. We are currently using it at our cabin since the connection is on the house which faces the entrance side of the trailer. The connection is currently under the trailer and I have it elevated to keep it off the ground so it doesn’t rest in a puddle if it rains.

That cord is very well built. I recommend it.

Jerry

Here is the one I have.....Camco with a carry handle....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Seems like it was a little cheaper back then....late 2016, but at any rate, it is a very flexible cord with handles on both ends and has served me well.

I also have one of these items. If something would happen to the cord that came with the trailer,....and you have a 30' or so extension cord, you can use this, along with the extension cord and still be able to plug your trailer in. The regular extension cords do NOT have the correct plug on the end to plug directly into the camper....this item converts it... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by xrated; 04-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how long my original cord is, but I have bought a 25' extension. I had one site where the box was at the back of the site and I barely made it with the original cord, but I only had a foot of space to spare.
    Jerry & Kelly Powell
    Zebulon, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R :target:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we purchased our 285BHTS, it came with a 30 foot 50 Amp power cord. I had a 50A to 30A adapter for the times I would only have 30 Amp service. However, when my wife or I make a reservation somewhere, we simply ask for a 50 Amp service and location of service pole. For instance, our main place most services are towards the rear of the site but not out of the way. The supplied 30 foot cord generally works. However, we have a 15 foot 50A extension same brand as xrated and Jerryr have. Easier to store than the 30A 30 foot cord I had from the previous trailer. I might have used it once since owning the current trailer. Personally, I get giddy when the services are right on the side of the trailer no more than 5 feet away. One site was perfect as in I could have gotten away with 15 feet of electric, water and Coax.

good luck.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to use a 30amp extension 3 times last year, in addition to my OEM 50amp cord. Once was at a COE campground we frequent every year. New site with the power and water shared between two sites, but 50 feet away.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the replies. It sounds like most folks just use the extension cord option. I hadn't considered propping it up off the ground and/or covering it. And thanks for the links. I'll check those out.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much of the need for an extension is impacted by the length of the rig and the placement of the electrical. On my 379, which is over 42 ft long, the electrical is near the front of the unit. On a back in-site with pedestals in the back, I absolutely need an extension. I have used my extension several times; not an option for me.

All that said, no question; get an extension over one long. Even when the length is needed, easier to handle it in two pieces.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten years ago we took our first trip with a brand new travel trailer. The campsite for our maiden voyage was huge... meant for a large class A or fifth wheel. The power pedestal was on one end and the sewer was on the other. No chance I was going to reach both. Fortunately my brother in law was at the same campground and loaned me his extension. First thing back home I ran out and bought my own extension and swore I would never get caught short again. And I never did. Not because I had an extension, but because I never ran across that situation again. That extension never saw the light of day.

Now I have a 2020 Reflection 295RL sitting in the backyard waiting for the pandemic to clear out so we might start our travels. That 50 A chord is pretty long so I have no plan at this point to buy an extension. A lot of money for something I might use once every 10 years.
    Last edited by finz04; 04-18-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    Mike C.

2023 GD Imagine AIM 15RB - 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Platinum CrewMax 4x4 shortbed twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve 3.4-liter V-6

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Ummm...the cord that came with is a beast by itself. Not something you want to wrestle with on an ongoing basis let alone twice as long. Would be one thing if you're staying longer term, or seasonal, at a site. Then go with the longer. But for break-camp-and-move every few days camping, you will quickly appreciate those sites where you only need the shorter. Generally, I have found it easy enough to find something to keep the plugs out of any potential water - extra leveling blocks that were not being used, a convenient rock, or even chunks of firewood (not directly under the plugs).

You didn't mention the specific model, but generally with the Imagines you don't need the 50 amp cord at all unless you went with (and want to run) a second AC. I've never plugged my 2670MK in to 50 amps, although I still carry it. I had a 30 ft. 30 amp extension left over from my old RV, so with an adaptor, have used that on the rare times when a longer length is needed. Starting last year, I bought a 90 degree very short (6"??) Camco adaptor that fits the 50 amp socket on the trailer with a 30 amp socket on the other end, and now exclusively use the 30 amp cord. Only break out the 50 if the length is needed.

I'd guess that it is only one out of 15 or so campsites where I need a longer cord. When you need it, you need it - but it is not all that often. Longer sewer, definitely. Two water hoses, not as often as sewer, but not as infrequently as power..
    Agree with this! I do not have the 2nd AC on my Imagine 2670MK. I have a 30 amp receptacle to plug into at home. I bought a 30' cord with a fifty amp female on the camper end and a 30 amp male on the pedestal end so I do not need a separate adaptor. Both ends also have 90 degree connectors on them so there is no strain on either end. I have a 30 amp x 25' extension from my previous camper so I carry that. The 50 amp cord is a real beast to handle. If I was going to someplace where I knew I would have 50 amp power I would take the 50 amp cord, but if I needed longer I could use a dogbone and plug into 30 amp using the extension.
    2022 Reflection 150 series 295RL
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab Long Bed, 7.3 Godzilla & 3.73 rear end
    (previous) 2018 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 Ford F250 Lariat Supercab, 6.2 gasser, 3002 lbs payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=My question has to do with the power cord ~ which is better 2 - 25’ cords or 1 - 50’ cord?

In our opinion(s), having a variety of lengths is the best unless you go to the same place every time. Shorter cords are much easier to deal withOne park we go to has the power pole behind the next campsite over on the opposite side of the RV receptacle. We had 30-amp service and had 3-25 footers connected. 5 days later one of the connections burned up so always make sure the prongs on your plugs are cleaned and shiny.

Our Solitude came with one 50 amp 25-footer and a 15-foot extension, but end of the 25 footer had the twist-lock for the side of the RV. so at minimum we had to use the 25 footer. Also, that female plug sticks straight out from the wall and with all that weight I could just imagine the screws pulling out. Buy yourself a 50 amp dog-bone. This 18 inch connector has a 90 degree female that connects to the RV and hangs straight down. I cut the twist-lock off the longest cord and added a 50-amp female connector (to connect to the dog bone) so we can use either the long cord, the short cord, or both together as necessary. You should also get or make adapters to go from a 30 amp service to your 50-amp cords, and an adapter to plug everything into 110 volt receptacle.

All that being said, we mounted two METAL hose-hangers in the storage area with which to hang the cables. It is not very difficult to make your own cables, but your hands may be sore afterward. Ebay and Amazon are the least expensive places to purchase male and female connectors in 30 and 50-amps, as well as the dog bone. Lowes, Home Depot, or an electrical supply house will have the best prices for cable, although I have seen 50-amp 25 footers cheaper than I can make them. We have two air conditioners, electric hot water, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and fans. With everything turned on I measured no more than 35 amps per phase. Most 50 amp cords have #4 wire. With a maximum under 40 amps per phase #6 should be sufficient up tp 50 feet. All of the separate connector terminals are color coded or marked for the wire except for the 30 Amp to 50 amp adapter where there needs to be a jumper between the black and red terminals inside the 50-amp female plug. Just our 2-cents...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many feet of cord do you carry? The 5th wheel I'm looking at is 40'.
    Case24

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast