User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon NP

Okay Utahns, or anyone else familiar... We have reservations at the KOA in Cannonville UT for the 4th of July weekend. We'll be traveling from Vegas. Googlemaps is routing me up I15 to 20 to 89, then south to 12. My paper map shows 20 as being a "Secondary Highway", and I'm not sure that road is suitable pulling a full sized rig. I was thinking about taking 9 from St George to 59, down around the loop through AZ and catching 89 in Fredonia, then up through Kanab to 12. Going the later route looks like about 30 minutes more, but I don't think I'm comfortable with a secondary highway. Also, are there any height issues on 12 I should know about? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight! @[email protected] any advice?

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm planning a similar route for our trip out west next year. We will be going to the Grand Canyon first, then up to Zion. From Zion to Bryce. The segment from Zion to Bryce has be doing the same thing....going up I-15 to SR 20, then down 89 to 12. I had orginally thought about leaving Zion and cutting across 9 and going to 89, then north to Bryce....THEN, I discovered the "Tunnel" on nine that I definitely would not fit through.....so my plan changed and used the I15 to 20 to 89 then south to 12. I'll be watching this thread to see what others post about that route as well as your proposed route.

Update:....I just fired up google maps and zoomed way in on that area....SR20. I switched to satellite view and "drove" the entire road by scrolling all the way from I-15 to where it ends at rt 89. The road looks to be well paved, AND.....when the google satellite photos of the area were taken, there were cars, trucks, big campers, and at least 8 or 9 full sized tractor trailers going across the route. That did it for me, but you need to make our own judgement. If a tractor trailer (multiple tractor trailers) can make it through, then that's the route I'll be taking. And just for reference.....I'm driving a 2016 F350 diesel Dually and towing a Momentum 394 .....so a big truck with a big trailer. I obviously couldn't tell from the satellite views about the change in elevations across the entire road, but between tow haul mode and using the engine braking system, I feel it should be very doable....especially after seeing the large RV going across as well as the tractor trailers.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-31-2020 at 07:18 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Okay Utahns, or anyone else familiar... We have reservations at the KOA in Cannonville UT for the 4th of July weekend. We'll be traveling from Vegas. Googlemaps is routing me up I15 to 20 to 89, then south to 12. My paper map shows 20 as being a "Secondary Highway", and I'm not sure that road is suitable pulling a full sized rig. I was thinking about taking 9 from St George to 59, down around the loop through AZ and catching 89 in Fredonia, then up through Kanab to 12. Going the later route looks like about 30 minutes more, but I don't think I'm comfortable with a secondary highway. Also, are there any height issues on 12 I should know about? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight! @[email protected] any advice?

John
    I've done that route several times with my 303rls pulling with a F350. This is trip from Vegas to Bryce staying at Ruby's. No problems whatsoever. Have not pulled down the grade to Cannonville but from what I recall that was no issue as well. The only "dicey" area is the top of 20 there is a couple of tight turns coming down towards 89. No issues with my setup going up or down the hill. The first time we did the trip I wasn't sure about the two arches on 14. It shows 13'6" clearance but that is at the sides so no issue if you hug the middle. Enjoy your trip.
    Allyn & Sue
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2016 F350 Lariat PS 6.7
    Andersen Ultimate Connection 2

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been back and forth between St George and Kanab. We took UT9 to UT59, to AZ389, to US 89A to 89. We wanted to avoid the crowds in/around Zion and UT59, AZ389 is a a better, wider, road.

We've been up and down 89 from Kanab to Bryce, and Panguitch. No problems there.

We haven't been on UT9 in many, many years; I think there is a tunnel there that is one way due to low clearance. I would think that is more of a secondary road than 20.

We haven't been on 20 but know others who have. No problems there.

We've been up and down 12 too. As long as you expect the grades and curves there is no problem with that road either.

I'll bet you could even take UT14 from I-15 to 89 without much trouble but never drove that entire length.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    We've been back and forth between St George and Kanab. We took UT9 to UT59, to AZ389, to US 89A to 89. We wanted to avoid the crowds in/around Zion and UT59, AZ389 is a a better, wider, road.

We've been up and down 89 from Kanab to Bryce, and Panguitch. No problems there.

We haven't been on UT9 in many, many years; I think there is a tunnel there that is one way due to low clearance. I would think that is more of a secondary road than 20.

We haven't been on 20 but know others who have. No problems there.

We've been up and down 12 too. As long as you expect the grades and curves there is no problem with that road either.

I'll bet you could even take UT14 from I-15 to 89 without much trouble but never drove that entire length.
    From stuff I've read, the mile long tunnel on SR 9 is about a mile long AND the maximum height is 13' 1".....and that is at the very center of the tunnel. So what the Park Rangers do (they are set up there for traffic flow) is to radio the Ranger at the other end and clear the tunnel and then allow the large vehicle through...by himself, driving exactly in the center of the tunnel. This will cost you $15 for that privilege of them clearing the tunnel and your passage. My Momentum is 13' 5" so it ain't going through no matter what.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with everything said above. My knowledge points on the area.

9 through Zion has that little tunnel thing and mega-traffic. Also width restrictions. They sometimes close half the road through the tunnel to get bigger vehicles through. You couldn't pay me to pull a camper through there.

9 to 59 to 389, 9 to 59 coming out of Hurricane there is a steep hill about 2 miles long while you climb to the top of the plateau, after that rolling hills till you leave Kanab. 89 Has some good steep hills. 3 miles of 6%. A little bit cheaper gas on the reservation, also a kind of neat historical mormon ranch.

14 across has 8% grade and 25mph curves, I wouldn't take this either unless it was the only choice.

20 has 8% grade on both sides of the ridge. It's a good 2 lane road with a couple of tight turns. I took this one. Coming down the east side seemed steeper to me than the west side.

12 Cannonville to Escalante there are some steep but short hills. You'll get a taste dropping into Cannonville. There is one 14% grade from Cannonville to Escalante, but it's only about 1/2 mile long. Escalante to Boulder has a lot of 14% grade and the road gets narrow and poorly maintained.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input! It looks like from the inputs here and looking on my own that I15 to UT 20 is very doable, as is the southern route through AZ. We're still undecided and it will most likely depend on how pressed for time we are when we leave Vegas. There is also UT 14 through Cedar City (which we recently did on the Spyder to Navajo Lake). Very scenic and rises to just under 10,000'. That's doable also but there are some sharp turns. It appears the arches on UT 12 won't be an issue if one keeps to the center line. I have been on UT 9 through the tunnels many years ago and it is very scenic and a fun drive...in a car...not a rig! Again, thanks everybody!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    John
    , do you have the Mountain Directory? I have found it to be very useful.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dallas, I'll have to check that out. Currently we use the Benchmark series for both on and off road travel.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I agree with everything said above. My knowledge points on the area.

9 through Zion has that little tunnel thing and mega-traffic. Also width restrictions. They sometimes close half the road through the tunnel to get bigger vehicles through. You couldn't pay me to pull a camper through there.

9 to 59 to 389, 9 to 59 coming out of Hurricane there is a steep hill about 2 miles long while you climb to the top of the plateau, after that rolling hills till you leave Kanab. 89 Has some good steep hills. 3 miles of 6%. A little bit cheaper gas on the reservation, also a kind of neat historical mormon ranch.

14 across has 8% grade and 25mph curves, I wouldn't take this either unless it was the only choice.

20 has 8% grade on both sides of the ridge. It's a good 2 lane road with a couple of tight turns. I took this one. Coming down the east side seemed steeper to me than the west side.

12 Cannonville to Escalante there are some steep but short hills. You'll get a taste dropping into Cannonville. There is one 14% grade from Cannonville to Escalante, but it's only about 1/2 mile long. Escalante to Boulder has a lot of 14% grade and the road gets narrow and poorly maintained.
    Great Information on the roads in that area. Thank you for posting that!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast