User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    How much is more than enough? Would 3270lbs be enough payload to haul a 303, or would that be barely enough?
    Sorry, not going to play. Go pick a fight with someone else. I could care less what you spend you money on or what you consider "good enough". I spent my money on a truck that I knew would have a large safety factor for the type of fifth wheel we were looking at. I played the "just good enough" game for several years and it was a miserable experience to tow in the mountains. Each to their own.
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2282 View Post
    Sorry, not going to play. Go pick a fight with someone else. I could care less what you spend you money on or what you consider "good enough". I spent my money on a truck that I knew would have a large safety factor for the type of fifth wheel we were looking at. I played the "just good enough" game for several years and it was a miserable experience to tow in the mountains. Each to their own.
    Not picking a fight, just posting factual numbers directly from Ford.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a "150 series 295RL", approximate same floor plan as the 303. There is no way that a real RV couple could pull that with a 1/2 ton truck, only without batteries, no water, no underwear, empty refrigerator. Luckily I got a steal of a deal on an F350 and it is just right. Let me explain using %of max vs actual numbers.

I have taken our Reflection 295RL to a CAT scale and carefully measured everything with our full complement of gear, including a full fresh water tank. We even unhooked the trailer and got just the truck weights to be sure of the pin weight. Fuel tank full, generator in back of truck, food for 2 weeks (start of COVID mess). As heavy as we will ever get. What I found was the pin weight was at 78% of the rating. The total truck weight was at 91% of max. Where I was most surprised, the total weight of the trailer exceeded the GVW by 8%. But the tires+axles were within specs at only 88% allowing us to run the tires a bit lower pressure than max to get a better ride for the trailer. This means we are probably heavy in the front of the trailer with gear in the pass-through and front storage, i.e. more weight on the pickup.

I believe this would have exceed some of the specs of a 3/4 ton F250.

We run dead level on the trailer with no modifications to the truck. We can't wait to get out on the road again as states loosen the restrictions.
    2015 Ford F350 6.7L TurboDiesel, Crew Cab, short bed SRW, 4x4, Lariat
    2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 337
    Pullrite Superglide hitch, TST507 TPMS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juiceman View Post
    I have a "150 series 295RL", approximate same floor plan as the 303. There is no way that a real RV couple could pull that with a 1/2 ton truck
    I know of at least one person who tows a Reflection 303 with an F-150 with the optional Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) and he's within the trucks payload rating. It can be done with an F-150 but the HDPP is very rare. Most people have never heard of it. I called a few dealers to see about getting one for my brother but none of the dealers were aware of the HDPP option. With 5th wheels, it's all about payload ratings....
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks - Rob @Cate&Rob has the HDPP (as Brian shared in his post #18 ) and max tow (I think that is the term) in his ecoboost V-6 F150. Rob is a retired auto industry engineer very conscientious about capacities, ratings, safety, etc. He and Cate winter in Fl and have pulled their 303 over 5 seasons back and forth to Canada along with other places in the country. I seem to recall a few other folks over the years with the same truck and similar fivers/trailers.

The reason for sharing this is that the truck has the ratings/capacities for their 303 and does well. Certainly mountain driving would be more of a challenge than with a diesel but for their travels and loaded weights they do well.

Rob has shared many posts on this combination over the years. If you search key terms using Rob's user name you will find some (several) threads/posts communicating the capabilities, heavy duty build components, and much more of the F150 with these two HD packages. It is a very capable heavy half P/U.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    How much is more than enough? Would 3270lbs be enough payload to haul a 303, or would that be barely enough?
    But, what are the Axle rates? tire rate and total combined payloads. Not saying it wouldn't but would be surprised if those numbers were in the range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take what you need and go up one!

Ultimately you own the decision. Ton's of great information here, both technical and informative, personal choice and factual, but at the end of the day you own the decision. I've always over built, over engineered and sometimes over PAID,,,, lol .... but I'll always error on the side of safety and better to have and not need, then need and not have. Love my 2019 F-450 DRW 4X4, street, sand, woods or mud, we don't worry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5537.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	27164
    Todd & Helona and Chloe the dog (-:
    2019 Ford F450 4x4 DRW Custom
    2020 Grand Design 381M
    US ARMY Combat Vet (101st Airborne!)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 303 and a 2017 F350 short bed diesel as well as a Pullrite Superlite. I love the combination and am able to make 90 angles (in the rare situation u need to) - perfect setup for me.
    Best of luck.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by da7heaven View Post
    After much research, we have picked our new 5th wheel, the Grand Design Reflection 303RLS! But first, we need to decide on a truck. We know our 2006 F150 short bed is a definite "NO", so we will first be shopping for a new truck. We plan on keeping this RV and truck for a long time, so we want to make a good choice. I've owned multiple F150's over the past 35 years, but I am not wed to the brand. I'd like to hear from other 303RLS owners and what they tow with, their experience and any advice. Thanks in advance!!!
    We pull our 2018 303RLS fifth wheel with a 2019 GMC 3/4 ton Denali Duramax. Truck hardly knows that the trailer is there. Engine braking feature on the duramax really saves your brakes and makes towing very easy and safe. It’s our 4th Duramax and we just love them. We see Dodges in our rear view mirror going up the mountains in west Virginia😉

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have the PullRite Super Glide 16K hitch and the 6.5’ box on our Duramax. Really handy for tight turns.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast