Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rear Sag

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
    Sumo springs don`t level a camper or truck. They help when you have over loaded your truck and it sags ( over loaded ) add leaf springs up to your axle rating, buy a bigger truck.
    I can't speak to Sumo springs but to say that because a truck sags it is overloaded is completely false. All trucks come from the factory with rake to account for the sagging that will inevitably occur when loaded. If the initial spring deflection rates were enough to absorb 2400 pounds of pin weight without sag, the unloaded ride would be unbearable. Sag is the inevitable consequence of having a truck that can both haul your fifth wheel and provide comfortable transportation to see the sights after you have unhitched.

If your truck has overloads, Torklift StableLoads bring them into play sooner, thus limiting the amount of squat. I have had them of two Super Duties. My current truck, with StablLoads installed, sat level with my 303 hitched. My only real complaint was that the overloads were noisy (squeaking) when engaged. I eventually installed air bags and a wireless compressor. I am very happy with this setup. It levels the truck and makes for a better ride when loaded. Because I opted for the bags with an internal jounce, I can air them down to 5 psi and the unloaded ride is the same as stock. Because I still have the StableLoads sitting in the garage, I am considering using them in conjunction with the air bags, just to check it out. That is a somewhat popular setup with folks that haul heavy slide in campers.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjpatter View Post
    A couple of questions that I don't see in any of the responses. How much does your bed sag when you load it? I would expect 1 - 1 1/2 ". How much clearance do you have between the cap and the bed? My hitch has 3 height positions which allowed me to level the trailer.
    I stated in my first post that the truck sags about three inches when hitch to the 5h wheel.
    My hitch has to stay where it is. I have to clear a Retrax cover and the hitch is set at the lowest position.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    In Cali, my 1 ton which carries a GVWR of 11,500 pounds is registered as a commercial vehicle.
    Did you have to get the special endorsement to your drivers license? I'm still trying to figure out if I need it or not.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tgunter5 View Post
    MY 2500 has a GVWR that's over 10K? Would this also be classifies as a commercial vehicle? Just curious what state/states this is? In Texas, I believe this is not true, any clarification is helpful!
    Arizona for one charges significantly more for registration/annual license for over 10,000. Ford has an option to "de-rate" an F350 to 10K.

Thankfully, Texas understands that not all pickups are for commercial. I pay $60 a year for my Texas DV plates.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Did you have to get the special endorsement to your drivers license? I'm still trying to figure out if I need it or not.
    Yes, but not because of my truck. I got the endorsement because of the weight of my trailer, which is over 10k. I got a trailer endorsement. Just a written test.

My trailer reg cost 500 bucks and my truck is just under 1k to register. Added fun, because my truck will be two years old in November, in the wonderful state of CA, I get to smog test it. Oh joy.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Yes, but not because of my truck. I got the endorsement because of the weight of my trailer, which is over 10k. I got a trailer endorsement. Just a written test.

My trailer reg cost 500 bucks and my truck is just under 1k to register. Added fun, because my truck will be two years old in November, in the wonderful state of CA, I get to smog test it. Oh joy.
    Is the weight based on the GVWR of the trailer? If so I probably would need it too.

Yep, over $900 for the truck this year and $400+ on the trailer. I thanked the governor for that as we were bouncing down 99N on the crappy roads.

I also had to smog my truck this year. They charge extra for a diesel too! And if all that wasn't bad enough, they never sent me my DMV renewal so I had to go down to the DMV in person and straighten all that out. That was a few hours of my life that I will never get back.
    Oh well....
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Is the weight based on the GVWR of the trailer? If so I probably would need it too.
    Straight from the CA DMV website:
    A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a commercial or noncommercial Class A driver license.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234