Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Imagine Dometic water heater keeps spewing water

Hello all!!
    I have had my Imagine 2500RL for 5 months with no issues. I am set up currently as a full timer RVer. This is my first RV and plan on traveling year round.
    This RV has a Dometic water heater that gets super hot super fast.
    This morning, after my shower, I heard the pump running and checked all inside faucets. Went outside and tons of steam/water was spewing from the water heater. I tried to let off as much steam as I could.
    I have not used the water since but it has spewed another 3 times.

What is happening and how can I correct it?
    I have read over the owners manual and have tried my luck with Google.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Where exactly was it spewing? Was it the drain plug, or is it possible the relief valve was stuck open?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! Excited to join this life style...but with that comes a lot of unknowns!

It looks like it comes out of the relief valve. I have tried to let off as much steam as I could.
    My shower was at 9 and it is now 5:30 and has spewed on and off 4 times now since then. No other water has been used.
    I just randomly hear the water pump or water and look outside and see water coming from the heater door.

I have the compass connect system at my entrance door and it shows water pump is on and water heater is on electric.

Never experienced this issue, so any help for this newcomer is greatly appreciated.

I also called the dealership service department and never got through, finally left a message and no return calls (it is now passed their closing time).

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. It could be a few things, these come to mind.

Bad relief valve (replace)

Piece of debris stuck in relief valve (manually open it all the way and then shut it to see if it flushes out dirt)

Relief valve is doing its job, and the water heater keeps raising temperature past its setpoint (try leaving it on gas instead of electric and see if it does the same thing; if this corrects it, there is more troubleshooting to do)

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Interesting. It could be a few things, these come to mind.

Bad relief valve (replace)

Piece of debris stuck in relief valve (manually open it all the way and then shut it to see if it flushes out dirt)

Relief valve is doing its job, and the water heater keeps raising temperature past its setpoint (try leaving it on gas instead of electric and see if it does the same thing; if this corrects it, there is more troubleshooting to do)

It currently sounds like a boiling pot.

After speaking to my Dad is suggests I turn if off, thinking the thermostat has gone bad (again 5 months old) and he is afraid it will "blow"?!?!

I sent out a few calls to come local RV mechanics as well but no response today, must be a busy time of year with winterizing RVs?!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JD2500RL View Post
    It currently sounds like a boiling pot.

After speaking to my Dad is suggests I turn if off, thinking the thermostat has gone bad (again 5 months old) and he is afraid it will "blow"?!?!

I sent out a few calls to come local RV mechanics as well but no response today, must be a busy time of year with winterizing RVs?!
    If it's a bad thermostat, then the relief valve is doing its job and it wont blow up. If your not using it, def turn off electric. If it was me, I'd definitely try gas operation, with electric off, and see if the results are the same or not.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think @FT4NOW and your dad might be on to something. As mentioned, try to run it on propane only to see if there's a difference. The relief valve is either faulty or doing its job. Thermostat is also a possibility. Since your FT I'd probably try my luck with a mobile tech. Since your rig is only 5 mths old, call GD and get a file number going for warranty.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note, are you on city water or running off the freshwater tank? I only ask since you said the water pump was on, so im assuming you're running off the tank. Any chance the freshwater tank is empty, and then the water heater isnt full, so its overheating the little water that's in the water heater?

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've lost the air head so any diagnosis now will just be puzzling. Need to restore the air head and then run propane only. If that's OK, switch back to electric. If it happens on electric, the thermostat has gone out. If it happens on both, the over-temperature/over-pressure relief valve would be a strong candidate.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    On another note, are you on city water or running off the freshwater tank? I only ask since you said the water pump was on, so im assuming you're running off the tank. Any chance the freshwater tank is empty, and then the water heater isnt full, so its overheating the little water that's in the water heater?

Yes...I am running off the tank and YES...it had gotten low from my shower! I have since refilled the tank and will see if that helps! I have never let the fresh water get to empty and today it WAS on empty after the shower.

I am set up on some of my parents property to test out if I can make it as a single full time traveling rv'er.
    This water heater is my first major roadblock, so thank you all for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast