User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The seals that flip in and out are just wiper seals. The real sealing is done by the bulb seals around the flange of the slide and opening. Most folks like the wiper seals out when the slides are out - looks neater and probably sheds water better as a first line of defense.

Rob
    Thanks, Second Chance. I wasn't aware of an inner seal but it does make sense to have more than just the outer. Having them out does look better, IMO too.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    We R B.O.B. (Boomers on Bikes)
    2020 Momentum 349M
    2019 Ford F450 6.7L PowerStroke

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    out is what I have seen. I wonder if the 303 is making them too slick as it is only friction that turns them.

If they don't fold in while bring the slide in I think that would even be a bigger issue as they get jammed up under the flange
    Thanks, llr2800. You may correct, but I do not use enough of the 303 to make them overly slick. I could be wrong though.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    I was having that happen occasionally and would use the old handle from my previous TT that was used to hook & pull the awning strap down to pull them to the out position....you want them out. Since I waxed the slideout sides with a quality polish they don't seem to do it anymore.
    Thanks, IBEW Sparky. I'll be waxing the rig this weekend so I'll run the slides in and out to see if that was indeed the case. I normally use an extension pole with a soft rubber tip to flip them out.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    I like mine to be flipped out when slides are out for wind and rain defense. Also, we get a lot of heat around here and I don't want them to get deformed by being half flipped so I always make sure they are flipped out.

A few years ago I ran a bead of lap sealant on the top of the slides to aid in the flipping process. Works great, always flips. If I were to do it again I would run the bead at a bit of an angle to make the flip a little at a time instead of all at once. The sides flip most of the time from passing over the windows but when they don't I use my "vent stick" to run under and flip them out.

I have seen some other brands that have added the plastic "flippers" from the factory. The stick on "sliders" that Rob mentions look like the ticket for areas that don't flip.
    Thanks, JCR GD. I am also worry about them becoming deformed. So it's good to know I am not the only one with that line of thinking.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the slides are out I go around all three and adjust any seals not flipped all the way out with a wooden yardstick.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastn View Post
    After the slides are out I go around all three and adjust any seals not flipped all the way out with a wooden yardstick.
    Thanks, coastn. That's a good idea, too. Probably easier to handle and store.
    Carl & Jacqueline
    2020 Momentum 349M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Thanks, JCR GD. I am also worry about them becoming deformed. So it's good to know I am not the only one with that line of thinking.
    When I did my walk through the day we picked it up from our dealership one of them was rolled half way in. The dealership actually pointed it out and said to always check them and make sure that they are rolled out so the don't become deformed and cause a problem.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastn View Post
    We do the same thing. At least one will be partially out only.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I do also.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather Seal

Quote Originally Posted by We R BOB View Post
    Greetings all -

I've noticed that whenever our slides are open, some of the seals are turned in, and others are turned out. Our thinking is that the seals should be turned out as it would provide better rain protection.

So our question is; Does it really matter?

We regularly lubricate the seals with 303 Protectant to try and keep them in top condition. Seems that it works on some seals but not on others. Sometimes, half of a seal on a slide is turned in, while the other half of it is turned out. When that happens, we usually wind up getting on a ladder and turn them all out.

So, what say you? How do your slide seals react to being opened? Does it really matter which way they are turned when the slides are open?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    They should be turned out when slide is fully extended, open position. You may need to run your fingers up or down them occasionally to get them to extend out. One of the first things I do when setting up is to ensure they are pointing out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12