User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ProPride, mixed results.

After a significant problem with someone else at the wheel I elected to have a ProPride hitch installed on my new trailer in the event that my wife would ever have to drive it. I called ProPride and a hitch with 1400 lb. bars was suggested but the RV dealer wanted to install one with 1000 lb. bars. I called ProPride back and was assured that the 1000 lb bars were more than adequate for the trailer. Well I've setup WDH systems on and off for over fifty years but I elected to accept there word on it. Well I was correct in being concerned because with everything to the max I couldn't get the front below neutral and that was with an unloaded truck and lightly loaded trailer. There was simply no wiggle room for any changes that might occur. I called ProPride customer service and was informed that: 1. The jacks would go to 11.5 inches (They stopped at 10.3) 2. I was in error in trying to put any weight on the front of the truck (in direct contradiction to their own setup manual, he said it was a misprint) 3. My experience and the fact that the front end felt light while towing was of no consequence.
    I wasn't asking for the moon just a discount on the correct bars, since they were the ones who said it was OK. It was clear that after multipule emails and a phone call that this conversation was going nowhere so I just ordered the proper bars and paid full retail plus shipping.
    The 1400 lb. bars arrived quickly and I intalled them without hassle. Was able to set the system up with proper weight distribution and the ability to add or subtract as needed for future changes.
    Both ProPride and Hensley make great hitches that take the white knuckles out of towing and while I'm too old to change at this point in my life I might have gone with the Hensley Arrow if I had to do it again. Customer service should be real service and not just lip service. ProPride was never nasty but refused to take any responsibilty for the issues I presented.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bit the bullet this week and ordered a propride. Ordered on Tuesday and arrived today (sat). I ordered the 1000 because my tounge wt is 645 empty, but I have a feeling I may need the 1400s.
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride 3P #1400
    2024 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 4110 payload.
    6.7 Diesel, Ult Lariat, 5th wheel prep, Block heater, iconic Silver.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original designer of both is one in the same. Hasn't been involved with Hensley since the happening that caused Propride to be founded. Don't think he's active in it, or as active as the past. I believe the spring rates for suspensions of new trucks is not being addressed and the design reverified and refreshed as it probably should.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The original designer of both is one in the same. Hasn't been involved with Hensley since the happening that caused Propride to be founded. Don't think he's active in it, or as active as the past. I believe the spring rates for suspensions of new trucks is not being addressed and the design reverified and refreshed as it probably should.
    Thanks Rob, Propride was tempting but, now I'll just keep my Blue Ox.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billn59 View Post
    I bit the bullet this week and ordered a propride. Ordered on Tuesday and arrived today (sat). I ordered the 1000 because my tounge wt is 645 empty, but I have a feeling I may need the 1400s.
    You should be fine. Your actual TW with the PP mounted and loaded for travel will likely be around 900 lb. (Mine is actually about 925, but I have 2 6v batteries up front). Heavier spring bars serve to reduce the amount of travel the lift jacks have to move when applying the weight distribution. I have to crank them fairly high to get the truck back to the unloaded front fender height, but I still have room for more. BTW - Ford towing guides (at least older ones) note that you only need to restore 50% of the weight back to the front. I've found on mine that getting back to 100% results in a much better tow. I haven't seen any additional improvement going more, though.
    Tips: A 24v drill has enough "oomph", smaller ones may run out of gas before you get to full distribution. Set the jack heights BEFORE retracting the front trailer jack, it is much easier. I carry a stick with a tape mark on it to use as a height gauge. (It also has a second tape mark for measuring ground to hitch, to easily see what the tongue height should be for hitching/unhitching).

To DocRob804 - Very surprising to hear about your issues with ProPride. I've had several interactions with them and received the best service from them of any company I have ever dealt with. You may want to contact Sean Woodruff (owner) directly about the problems you had. They've had explosive growth, and he would want to know.
    What trailer and what Tow Vehicle do you have? Surprising that you want to increase the steer weight to be above the unloaded amount.
    Last edited by sande005; 12-19-2021 at 01:19 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    You should be fine. Your actual TW with the PP mounted and loaded for travel will likely be around 900 lb. (Mine is actually about 925, but I have 2 6v batteries up front). Heavier spring bars serve to reduce the amount of travel the lift jacks have to move when applying the weight distribution. I have to crank them fairly high to get the truck back to the unloaded front fender height, but I still have room for more. BTW - Ford towing guides (at least older ones) note that you only need to restore 50% of the weight back to the front. I've found on mine that getting back to 100% results in a much better tow. I haven't seen any additional improvement going more, though.
    Tips: A 24v drill has enough "oomph", smaller ones may run out of gas before you get to full distribution. Set the jack heights BEFORE retracting the front trailer jack, it is much easier. I carry a stick with a tape mark on it to use as a height gauge. (It also has a second tape mark for measuring ground to hitch, to easily see what the tongue height should be for hitching/unhitching).

To DocRob804 - Very surprising to hear about your issues with ProPride. I've had several interactions with them and received the best service from them of any company I have ever dealt with. You may want to contact Sean Woodruff (owner) directly about the problems you had. They've had explosive growth, and he would want to know.
    What trailer and what Tow Vehicle do you have? Surprising that you want to increase the steer weight to be above the unloaded amount.
    Thanks. I think I will be OK with the 1000 bars. I can always upgrade if I need to. We pack lightly will not fill up the fresh water tank. I unboxed my 3P yesterday and found out I have a 3" instead of a 2". Checked my invoice and sure enough $75.00 was charged for the 3in. I must have checked the box by accident. Hopefully I get this resolved this week. I am parked for the winter, so I have until March to install and set up.
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride 3P #1400
    2024 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 4110 payload.
    6.7 Diesel, Ult Lariat, 5th wheel prep, Block heater, iconic Silver.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    BTW - Ford towing guides (at least older ones) note that you only need to restore 50% of the weight back to the front. I've found on mine that getting back to 100% results in a much better tow. I haven't seen any additional improvement going more, though.
    I have never heard why the 50% figure (at least this was still the same for Ford in 2019) is specified by a number of product manufactures but the standard on this forum seems to be getting back to 100%. I also tried 50% and 100% and found 100% much better. Could Ford and others say to use 50% so that maximum GVW /payload specifications can be met and little to do with towing performance?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    I have never heard why the 50% figure (at least this was still the same for Ford in 2019) is specified by a number of product manufactures but the standard on this forum seems to be getting back to 100%. I also tried 50% and 100% and found 100% much better. Could Ford and others say to use 50% so that maximum GVW /payload specifications can be met and little to do with towing performance?
    The 50% number is the minimum safe. My GMC says the same thing. Absolutely not comfortable at 50%.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad we went with the Hensley - again. I’ve had discussions with 4 folks there and they’ve always been correct.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a good customer experience with Sean at ProPride a few years ago. We bought the P3 hitch and it made towing a night and day difference. But my wife was gun shy because before the ProPride it was all white knuckle trips towing our 2800bh with a 2016 F150.

After a few months we decided to trade the 2800bh in on a Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel and trade the F150 in on a F350 Diesel.

After the new RV and truck arrived I contacted Sean asking to return the hitch under his “90” day return policy. He informed me that the return policy was only for 60 days but he would still honor it even though we were almost 30 days passed the 60 day mark.

I packed the hitch and chain extension kit up and sent it back to him. It cost me $200 to ship the 200 lbs box. Sean refunded me what I paid except for the shipping costs even though I was passed the. 60 day period.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast