User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    In actuality it does not switch tanks, it draws from both at the same time. That is exactly why many people leave it to one or the other.

With the selector in the middle it will draw from both tanks at the same time until they are both empty. If one tank empties first it will draw from the one that has gas remaining.
    Not entirely accurate. It depends on the regulator. I have a 21 397TH and mine will switch automatically from one to the other. The selector just tells the regulator what one to pull from first.
    2018 Ram CC,LB DRW Longhorn 6.7, AISIN, 4.10s

2021 Momentum 397TH-R

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfiredog377 View Post
    Not entirely accurate. It depends on the regulator. I have a 21 397TH and mine will switch automatically from one to the other. The selector just tells the regulator what one to pull from first.
    Agree with this statement. Mine unfortunately does pull from both as I camp unless I leave it to one side or the other, at the end of the trip both tanks will be partially full.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In actuality it does not switch tanks, it draws from both at the same time. That is exactly why many people leave it to one or the other.

With the selector in the middle it will draw from both tanks at the same time until they are both empty. If one tank empties first it will draw from the one that has gas remaining.
    I'll have to disagree, also. Our regulator most definitely empties one tank (the side the lever is pointing to, the indicator turns red, and it starts drawing from the other tank. I can watch this process on my Mopeka tank monitors and this is the way it has worked during numerous cold winters in the Northeast.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with this statement. Mine unfortunately does pull from both as I camp unless I leave it to one side or the other, at the end of the trip both tanks will be partially full.
    Why would you do this?
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Why would you do this?
    My thoughts too. What would be the point of having both tanks partially full?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    We full time and are going to be leaving the RV for a week for a vacation. It is in the Carolinas and the temps have been around 40 during the day and mid 20s at night. Propane has been lasting 4-5 days max before we have to switch tanks (30lb). We do have tank heaters, and it is 2021 solitude with the insulating layer underneath, but it is not skirted in the location we are right now. With this, and a heated water hose we have had no issues whatsoever, but it is forecasted to get slightly colder this coming week (low of 19).

Things we have read say that pipes can burst and you should winterize, etc.... but how can the pipes burst if we turn the water off and all tanks are drained? Also, how do you “winterize” if you are living in the RV full time? Any help is appreciated.
    The pipes can burst because there is always water in the pipes unless you blow them out or fill them with antifreeze. For a quick winterize you could blow the lines out with an air compressor set to 35 or 40 lbs. You will need at least 1 gallon of antifreeze. Suck some antifreeze into the water pump and pour the rest into the sink and shower traps. Don't forget to open the low point drains and the outside shower and empty the water heater. That whole business should take less than 1/2 hour. Or you could follow Rob's advise and just leave the heat on low say 45 or 50 deg. Leave both tanks open and point the lever at one tank. Keeping the lever in the center may not let the automatic change over to work properly.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you do this?
    A possible reason to do this is when it is very cold out propane shrinks and the pressure in the tanks gets lower and may have trouble keeping up with demand. Pulling from both tanks could help this. Now its got to be real cold for this to be an issue (never actually experienced it, I guess I don't camp when its cold enough). It stops turning to gas completely at about -44F. I do not know if there is a sliding scale of pressure as it gets colder or just stops at -44.

So that's what I have heard, but it just may be a myth also. ??
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you do this?
    @huntindog and @Hoopy Frood,

It’s not what I do. I discovered this about my regulator and due to that I run on one side or another, not in the middle. Only made that mistake once.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leechantee View Post
    yes, that is our problem there will be nobody here to switch the knob over to the other side, and the 30lbs has been running out in about 4-5 days
    Here is how the regulator is designed to work, and why...

The regulator is auto switching like Rob said.

Let's say you have two full tanks and each tank will last 4 - 5 days like yours are. So, day one with new tanks, you point the knob at the Passenger side tank. On day 5 at 3:45 am the passenger tank runs out of gas. In the old days, you would be out in your PJ's switching the tanks in the cold dark night. With the auto switching regulator, nothing happens, Propane is automatically pulled from the Driver's side tank.

Now on day 6 you decide to go into town and you take your empty Passenger side Propane tank with you to get it filled. You place the full tank on the passenger side and you switch the regulator knob to point at the driver's side tank.

Now on day 9, again at 3:30 am the Driver's side tank runs out of Propane, again nothing happens because the regulator automatically switches over to the Passenger side tank.

The idea is that you keep Ping-Ponging between the two tanks and you never run out of Propane at 3:30 am (because Propane always runs out in the middle of the night).

So, between knowing that each tank will last 4-5 days (8-10 days total) and that you will use much less Propane by setting your Thermostat to around 45 degrees, you should be able to enjoy your vacation.

PS: also, it is a good idea to pick up your water hose and stow it in the hold while you are gone.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the selector set to one side or the other, that is the way it's supposed to work. Just some confusion about what has been posted.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast