User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coastn View Post
    I have reservations in Feb. at Paisano for a week to be close to the park then moving to Maverick for a few days to play their golf course. Ill try to remember to report back on my observations. Looking forward to the trip as it's blowing and snowing at this moment.
    Much appreciated.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2024 GMC 3500HD CC-SRW-SB Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have reservations in Feb. at Paisano for a week to be close to the park then moving to Maverick for a few days to play their golf course. Ill try to remember to report back on my observations. Looking forward to the trip as it's blowing and snowing at this moment.
    Make atrip to the bank before you go to the golf course. I payed it once and it is not worth the money.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from Big Bend and stayed at Paisano. Small, but new with great hookups and great wifi. In addition, a food truck resides at the entrance and you have to get the breakfast burritos!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Make atrip to the bank before you go to the golf course. I payed it once and it is not worth the money.
    Well it's a golf course in the desert.. If you didn't like Maverick's you'll definitely HATE the Conchas Dam golf course at Conchas Lake, NM!
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasMooseport View Post
    Just got back from Big Bend and stayed at Paisano. Small, but new with great hookups and great wifi. In addition, a food truck resides at the entrance and you have to get the breakfast burritos!
    Appreciate all the intel on Big Bend. Looking forward to our first trip there. Was there any diesel fuel or grocery supply shortages to be concerned about? Being this remote in a desert has me a little concerned.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman2 View Post
    Appreciate all the intel on Big Bend. Looking forward to our first trip there. Was there any diesel fuel or grocery supply shortages to be concerned about? Being this remote in a desert has me a little concerned.

Dutchman2
    There's an Alon fuel station in Study Butte with a small market as well as a small general store and Sunoco fuel in Lajitas.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cottonwood Market is about 1/2 mile from Paisano. Amazingly well stocked. Maybe a little pricey, but you are 80 miles from a grocery store in Alpine. They also do propane exchange in case you need. Yes, fuel in Study Butte. Also fuel in the park, but very expensive, so fill up before going in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My observations having just left the area: Stayed at Paisano for 7 nights at both the original site and their new site across the street. Had a problem with neighbor's truly obnoxious noise and asked to be moved. They moved me to the new sites across the street. Loved the new sites. Fewer in number, a little tighter but less road noise and a new bathhouse with a marvelous waterfall shower. Both locations have really long swept cement patios so you track less dirt into your rig. Great to sit and watch the sunset! Staff from hosts to owners were very friendly and accommodating. Close to park, fuel, grocery store, restaurants. This will be my go-to place for next visit. Starlight theater is a bucket list kind of place. Got there along with the outside porch filled crowd at the 5:00 opening bell. Place filled up fast and when I left there were more people waiting on the porch than were seated inside which was still full. This was at 6:15. Stayed a little longer than usual to hear the start of the live music. Ate next at High Sierra..no crowd but good food. There are plenty more options and all were in the Terlingua Ghost Town I believe about 7 miles from Paisano. Checked diesel fuel prices one day: Study Butte Alon $4.17, Panther Junction Alon in the park $4.19, Rio Grande Village at far end of park $4.07 (go figure). Grocery store had plenty of inventory including a good selection of produce. Prices of course elevated. Moved on to Maverick Ranch in Lajitas. No question this was a nice park at one time but the grass at the sites had been let go to browned out leftovers in major dirt and in some cases mud. You do park on asphalt and have a cement patio but the dust is incredible. they have 100 sites so you have to expect the noise associated with a large park. Did not investigate their clubhouse or bathhouse facilities as was pretty far from my site. You do have the hotel with the usual facilities a little ways up the street. Golf course is another bucket list item. A real green oasis in the desert with great views from some elevated tees. Was in great shape compared to the RV park. Pricey yes..$225 for non-guests, $150 for guests of the Hotel and RV park. New personal record for me as far as greens fees. Lajitas General Store nearby has little stock and outrageous prices. $6.99 for a box of original size Wheat Thins, as example. Fuel available there but did not check the price. Not as convenient to Big Bend as a sign says it's 50 miles to Park Headquarters at Panther Junction. Won't be back. Went up to Alpine from there. Really enjoyed the Park as I live high (elevation 11,004 ft.) in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Whole different world in the West Texas mountains. Went solo this trip but will take my better half back there in the near future. That's my report, as promised, and I'm sticking to it!
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My observations having just left the area: Stayed at Paisano for 7 nights at both the original site and their new site across the street. Had a problem with neighbor's truly obnoxious noise and asked to be moved. They moved me to the new sites across the street. Loved the new sites. Fewer in number, a little tighter but less road noise and a new bathhouse with a marvelous waterfall shower. Both locations have really long swept cement patios so you track less dirt into your rig. Great to sit and watch the sunset! Staff from hosts to owners were very friendly and accommodating. Close to park, fuel, grocery store, restaurants. This will be my go-to place for next visit. Starlight theater is a bucket list kind of place. Got there along with the outside porch filled crowd at the 5:00 opening bell. Place filled up fast and when I left there were more people waiting on the porch than were seated inside which was still full. This was at 6:15. Stayed a little longer than usual to hear the start of the live music. Ate next at High Sierra..no crowd but good food. There are plenty more options and all were in the Terlingua Ghost Town I believe about 7 miles from Paisano. Checked diesel fuel prices one day: Study Butte Alon $4.17, Panther Junction Alon in the park $4.19, Rio Grande Village at far end of park $4.07 (go figure). Grocery store had plenty of inventory including a good selection of produce. Prices of course elevated. Moved on to Maverick Ranch in Lajitas. No question this was a nice park at one time but the grass at the sites had been let go to browned out leftovers in major dirt and in some cases mud. You do park on asphalt and have a cement patio but the dust is incredible. they have 100 sites so you have to expect the noise associated with a large park. Did not investigate their clubhouse or bathhouse facilities as was pretty far from my site. You do have the hotel with the usual facilities a little ways up the street. Golf course is another bucket list item. A real green oasis in the desert with great views from some elevated tees. Was in great shape compared to the RV park. Pricey yes..$225 for non-guests, $150 for guests of the Hotel and RV park. New personal record for me as far as greens fees. Lajitas General Store nearby has little stock and outrageous prices. $6.99 for a box of original size Wheat Thins, as example. Fuel available there but did not check the price. Not as convenient to Big Bend as a sign says it's 50 miles to Park Headquarters at Panther Junction. Won't be back. Went up to Alpine from there. Really enjoyed the Park as I live high (elevation 11,004 ft.) in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Whole different world in the West Texas mountains. Went solo this trip but will take my better half back there in the near future. That's my report, as promised, and I'm sticking to it!
    Coastn,
    Much appreciated! Looking forward to our trip. Your insight/observations are greatly appreciated. We have reservations at Maverick. Sounds like we need a good broom and pack the trailer full of groceries!

Thanks,
    Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from a week in Big Bend. I think every post was spot on so we had a good idea on what to expect. No issues with fuel and honestly we thought the pricing was inline with what we expected to see in a remote area like this. The Maverick RV park was great for being located in a desert setting. The pool was awesome as it was cold to keep the 107 degree days in check. Solid WIFI connections and power. No complaints. Facilities onsite were clean. The electric bikes were great to zip up to the Lajitas golf resort. Good food there and very reasonable pricing for breakfast and lunch. Had a good rain on one day and as mentioned it was muddy for a few hours after. Both the State park and the National park were amazing to see. The night sky was crazy as the stars are so bright. Great trip and we will return in the future.

Dutchman2
    Jim & Patricia
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12