Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Slide Toppers

Hey all. As you can see I don't post here often but I've found everyone on here to be a valuable resource of information. I'll try to keep this brief, but my apologies if it gets long-winded. I purchased a new 2022 Solitude 380FL last October from a dealer 350 miles from me. There's a dealer closer but their service department rubs me the wrong way. Besides, the dealer we went to had what we were looking for. Anyway, soon after we purchased it, we decided we wanted to have slide toppers installed. So I called the dealer we purchased from and they said no problem. It will be 8 to 10 weeks to get them in stock. So in January they called to say they were all in stock so I set up an appointment for February 25th. I took it in and a week later they called me to say that the toppers they ordered didn't come with the mounting hardware. It will take another week to get them in and of course more $$$. They told me they normally order them from Solara and they come with the hardware. But these they ordered from Carefree (since that's who made the awnings and they wanted the toppers to match) and didn't know they didn't come with the hardware. (it might be the other way around) Another week goes by and I call them to find out if it's ready, expecting to pick it up this weekend. No. They're having some problems. Call back later. I called again yesterday to see if it's ready. No. They had 1 installed but it was rubbing so they had to order extension brackets. The rubbing would have caused the fabric to wear out prematurely. I was told they've been going by the Grand Design book for the installation. Now it's going to be another week and by the time it's done, they'll have had it for 4 weeks. I'm frustrated but I don't know who I should be frustrated with. The dealer apologized for not having the mounting hardware and said they'd work with me on the cost. I understand the situation they're in. Especially if they're getting guidance from the GD book. I'm frustrated with GD and I've thought about calling customer service, but I don't know what my expectations should be. An apology at least? Monetary compensation? I don't know what I'm being charged yet by the dealer for labor. Maybe I should be frustrated with myself. And maybe this is just a typical experience. I don't know. That's why I'm seeking guidance from all of you who are a lot smarter about this and may have had similar experiences. Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your shoes I would be very upset with the dealer, but I don't know that Grand Design is at fault, or responsible, for any of it. And the Solara comes with hardware since that is what I ordered for our Momentum. But I knew, from doing some looking and reading, that the Carefree doesn't come with hardware. Your dealer is completely at fault for also not knowing that in advance.

Since the dealer didn't know in advance that the Carefree didn't come with hardware, he may have thought that he was getting a great deal on the price of the toppers. From what I've seen all the toppers look about the same, so using the excuse "they wanted the toppers to match" is pretty bogus. I think they did it strictly for the price. They pay less, but charge the same. Plus they should have realized there was no hardware when they received the toppers in the first place.

This an excellent example of why I avoid dealers if at all possible. At the very least they should abide by their first quote for the toppers. Just because they screwed up and didn't know the hardware wasn't included should be on them. You definitely need to be compensated for all their errors, not penalized for them. Just my opinion of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. You make some very good points. I can make most repairs myself but thought I would have this done by someone "who knows what they're doing." I think I'll be having a conversation with the dealer owner. thanks again

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you be upset with GD? I doubt they ordered from GD, and even if did they're coming from Carefree directly. It's your dealer's fault all the way around. In fact, very few toppers come with the hardware because of the different lengths needed. If any consolation, took me 8 mos to get my toppers last year and one from Carefree was damaged before crating and "rush" replacement was almost 4 months. Still waiting on my replacement awning 1.5 years later!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason that I find some fault with GD is that the dealer is going by the GD manual for the installation. The fact that the dealer now has to order these extensions makes me think there is an error in the GD manual. Maybe this is all just par for the course. I don’t know. That’s why I thought I’d see if this is common. The saving grace is that we didn’t have any plans to take it out. So it would either be sitting in our driveway or at the dealer.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dosmith View Post
    The only reason that I find some fault with GD is that the dealer is going by the GD manual for the installation. The fact that the dealer now has to order these extensions makes me think there is an error in the GD manual. Maybe this is all just par for the course. I don’t know. That’s why I thought I’d see if this is common. The saving grace is that we didn’t have any plans to take it out. So it would either be sitting in our driveway or at the dealer.
    There's no manual. It's a parts lookup system and it's quite clear. You can actually look them up yourself online in the owners section of GD's website. They are clearly separate, and there's no mystery, either - short or long brackets are needed. Pretty much everything GD builds requires long because of the slide-out trim used.
    What you have, is an unfamiliar dealer parts manager that looked up toppers in the parts list not reading or understanding the part code,, but they come just material on the tube. No mounting rail, no mounting brackets. Carefree retails exactly the same - separately. I get your frustration, seriously, but it's completely on the dealer. What you may want to invest your time in is if the dealer is to be trusted mounting them if not knowing how to order them! The Solitude line has been using Carefree quite a few years... Simple install, but absolutely need the rails screwed into the aluminum header above the slide box.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I appreciate your insights. I knew I could count on this forum for a lot of valuable information.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 20:20 hindsight, this install might have been good work to give to the closer dealer to test them out. Since it isn't warranty work, you may have been surprised with them.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dosmith, I feel it it highly unlikely that your dealer has communicated at all with GD other than getting part numbers.

Agree with the others, this is all on the dealer. I bet you can take it back and finish up whatever they started.

Wish you good luck on this and hope to see some pics of the finished product.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS