Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reese Goosebox or Gen-Y WITH a Roll-n-Lock Tonneau Cover.

Anyone running with a Reese Goosebox or a GEN-Y AND a Roll-n-Lock cover on their truck bed?

I'm interested in first hand experience with bed rail clearances.

Thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larry,
    Did you get an answer to your question?
    I have an F450 and Momentum 351MS on order. The Momentum will have a Reese Goose Box and I want to add a tonneau cover to the truck. I am considering a rollup type cover. Hoping to get some advice from the folks on this forum.
    Regards,
    John
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    Hi Larry,
    I have an F450 and Momentum 351MS on order. The Momentum will have a Reese Goose Box and I want to add a tonneau cover to the truck. I am considering a rollup type cover. Hoping to get some advice from the folks on this forum.
    Regards,
    John
    John, @BrokeDown
    I forgot I hd that question posted. No one ever answered. Probably because I was pretty specific about the exact hitch and the Roll-n-Lock cover.

Regardless, I have decided when (if?) I get my new truck (waiting on a long bed) I will be using the Reese Gooseneck and a Roll-n-Lock cover.

There are a few other threads here on this site with info on various covers and clearance. Lots of folks seem to say it comes close but few said it hits whatever they had for a cover.
    Larry KE4DMG

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I created a more general question about covers. The answers are all over the board at this point.
    Take care...
    -B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Anyone running with a Reese Goosebox or a GEN-Y AND a Roll-n-Lock cover on their truck bed?

I'm interested in first hand experience with bed rail clearances.

Thanks.
    Good morning Larry

Be careful considering the Gen Y goose box. It is shorter than the Reese by several inches (distance between truck and trailer), and it vertical adjustment is very limited.

Fortunately they list exact dimensions on thier web page. So double check. You should also note the bed rail clearance changes with the GenY as the suspension of the coupler head works.

I have the Retrax roiling bed cover that can be locked in any position. It great as I can roll it close to my 5th wheel hitch and lock in place keeping stuff in the front bed dry. When disconnected the cover clears the hitch head protecting everything in the bed.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    Hi Larry,
    Regards,
    John
    John - I have the Retrax rolling cover. No issues from 2004. You can lock it in any open position so it can be partially extended right up to the hitch when towing. I just ordered a new one, Retrax Pro, for my new truck.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Good morning Larry

Be careful considering the Gen Y goose box. It is shorter than the Reese by several inches (distance between truck and trailer), and it vertical adjustment is very limited.

Fortunately they list exact dimensions on thier web page. So double check. You should also note the bed rail clearance changes with the GenY as the suspension of the coupler head works.

I have the Retrax roiling bed cover that can be locked in any position. It great as I can roll it close to my 5th wheel hitch and lock in place keeping stuff in the front bed dry. When disconnected the cover clears the hitch head protecting everything in the bed.

Hope this helps
    yup... I agree, Powerscol. I decided on the Reese for the very reason that is is a bit longer. I don't want my rig too close to mu truck; there already isn't a lot of room between the rig and the tailgate when it is down.

Thanks for heads up on the vertical adjustment too.
    Larry KE4DMG

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since a Gen-Y is what I want, when I get a long bed, in the case of the clearance, you can get the longer goose ball. Would that make up the difference, if needed?
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Since a Gen-Y is what I want, when I get a long bed, in the case of the clearance, you can get the longer goose ball. Would that make up the difference, if needed?
    I'm not sure I know what "...get the longer goose ball...' means. In the case of the pin box from Gen-Y there is only one size of their pinbox (with different weight ratings). The hitch length is fixed. Same goes for the Reese goosebox.

When measuring distance from where the goosebox connects to ball to the center of where they connect to the center point of the pin box mounting point on the RV the Reese Goosebox is longer than the Gen-Y. That is what I was referring to.

If the distance of a pin box from the ball connection in the bed to the center point of where the pin box bolts to the RV is shorter than the truck will be closer to the RV. I want as much distance from the truck to the RV as I can get.
    Larry KE4DMG

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'm not sure I know what "...get the longer goose ball...' means. In the case of the pin box from Gen-Y there is only one size of their pinbox (with different weight ratings). The hitch length is fixed. Same goes for the Reese goosebox.

When measuring distance from where the goosebox connects to ball to the center of where they connect to the center point of the pin box mounting point on the RV the Reese Goosebox is longer than the Gen-Y. That is what I was referring to.

If the distance of a pin box from the ball connection in the bed to the center point of where the pin box bolts to the RV is shorter than the truck will be closer to the RV. I want as much distance from the truck to the RV as I can get.
    Guess I didn't say it correctly, you can get a taller ball, one with a longer shank so it sits higher in the truck. The ball itself will sit several inches higher than a standard one, giving more height.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast