User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Grand Design Reflection 150 290BH vs 2021 Reflection 28BH

I've spent the last few months researching 5th wheels and ultimately it seems like it's coming down to these 2 models. But my question is, what's the difference between the 2 aside from the obvious?

From looking at Grand Design's website and videos on YouTube, it seems like the 28BH has the following over the 290BH:

Bigger fridge
    Bigger water tanks
    Extra windows over the stove and by the couch
    Full aluminum frame
    Nicer bathroom sink
    Slide in the bedroom
    Swinging doors as opposed to sliding for the bedroom and bathroom

I know it sounds absurd to go "IS THAT IT?!" but to me really the only thing that is selling me on the 28BH is the swinging doors and I just want to make sure there's nothing else at all that I'm missing. Like, are the materials used in the 28BH of higher quality? More durable? Nicer finishes? Maybe some weird niche features? I'm really curious about every tiny small difference it has that could potentially have me set on the 28BH. I just don't want to end up with a 290BH and find out that the 28BH has something that I absolutely wanted. But I also don't want to potentially spend more money on a 28BH and find out it doesn't have anything over the 290BH that I actually care about. I really want to find a dealer that has both models so I can check them out back to back, but I haven't had any luck so far.

And a somewhat related question, how hard would it be to mod swinging doors into the 290BH? I can't imagine it would be difficult, but not sure if there's any kind of unknown limitation I don't know of.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

My understanding is that all of the models in the 150 series are similar in fit and finish. I think you may be correct: This is it.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

My understanding is that all of the models in the 150 series are similar in fit and finish. I think you may be correct: This is it.
    Thank you! Glad to find this forum.

But I was under that impression as well. We were able to check out a 290BH in person a few weeks ago and it definitely felt pretty nice, and at least in photos and videos, they look identical. So it would seem the biggest weight-saving difference would be the frame and extra features then and not so much of tiny little weight differences from materials? Cause I could easily see the 1300lb difference all coming from the frame, bigger fridge, extra 34 gallons (282.2lbs in that alone), and that slide out.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogsGoMoo View Post
    I've spent the last few months researching 5th wheels and ultimately it seems like it's coming down to these 2 models. But my question is, what's the difference between the 2 aside from the obvious?

From looking at Grand Design's website and videos on YouTube, it seems like the 28BH has the following over the 290BH:

Bigger fridge
    Bigger water tanks
    Extra windows over the stove and by the couch
    Full aluminum frame
    Nicer bathroom sink
    Slide in the bedroom
    Swinging doors as opposed to sliding for the bedroom and bathroom

I know it sounds absurd to go "IS THAT IT?!" but to me really the only thing that is selling me on the 28BH is the swinging doors and I just want to make sure there's nothing else at all that I'm missing. Like, are the materials used in the 28BH of higher quality? More durable? Nicer finishes? Maybe some weird niche features? I'm really curious about every tiny small difference it has that could potentially have me set on the 28BH. I just don't want to end up with a 290BH and find out that the 28BH has something that I absolutely wanted. But I also don't want to potentially spend more money on a 28BH and find out it doesn't have anything over the 290BH that I actually care about. I really want to find a dealer that has both models so I can check them out back to back, but I haven't had any luck so far.

And a somewhat related question, how hard would it be to mod swinging doors into the 290BH? I can't imagine it would be difficult, but not sure if there's any kind of unknown limitation I don't know of.
    After looking at your post it appears that your question is what are the differences between a 150 Reflection and a full reflection. These are two different lines of trailers built to two different standards. If you can’t find a dealer with the exact models you want then compare the build quality of any 150 series to Reflection they have on their lot. I think the counter tops are different, plastic in the 150 and resin in the Reflection. I have read that the wall thickness may be different but not sure on that. Check out the floor construction, the Reflection is a plywood floor, is the 150 plywood or composite? Do they both have the same frame size? You need to talk to someone that knows the construction differences between the two lines. Start with Grand Design and ask them the construction differences between the two lines. Call dealers and ask the same question. Also do you have enough truck to haul the heater trailer?

I know this does not answer your questions but hopefully gives you something to think about.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    After looking at your post it appears that your question is what are the differences between a 150 Reflection and a full reflection. These are two different lines of trailers built to two different standards. If you can’t find a dealer with the exact models you want then compare the build quality of any 150 series to Reflection they have on their lot. I think the counter tops are different, plastic in the 150 and resin in the Reflection. I have read that the wall thickness may be different but not sure on that. Check out the floor construction, the Reflection is a plywood floor, is the 150 plywood or composite? Do they both have the same frame size? You need to talk to someone that knows the construction differences between the two lines. Start with Grand Design and ask them the construction differences between the two lines. Call dealers and ask the same question. Also do you have enough truck to haul the heater trailer?

I know this does not answer your questions but hopefully gives you something to think about.
    That is a good point you bring upon not having to stick to comparing to just those 2 models when for the most part it could potentially just be a Reflection vs Reflection 150 comparison. But really the reason is to eliminate any possible differences between the 2 Reflection models especially since we're not in a rush to buy one. So maybe I'll be able to get lucky enough to find a dealer with both on the same lot. But if it gets close enough I'll just do the Reflection vs Reflection 150 comparison.

I believe you are correct about the countertops being different materials. Honestly, we did a quick walk-through of the 290BH and I'm wanting to do a much more thorough walkaround next time to really get a feel out of it. But at least visually it looked nice. But obviously, it makes a difference when you actually spend time in it especially after towing it for thousands of miles!

My only issue with asking Grand Design themselves or dealers is that they might try to put me in a brand new 28BH since it's a more expensive model. Not saying they will, but it's just my personal experience from people who want to sell you something.

As for the tow vehicle, I'll probably get a 3500 to simply open the doors for the ability to maybe upgrade to a Solitude one day. But to start with I just want to get what covers all my needs and get a feel of it before I drop big cash on something I'll use twice. :P

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogsGoMoo View Post
    That is a good point you bring upon not having to stick to comparing to just those 2 models when for the most part it could potentially just be a Reflection vs Reflection 150 comparison. But really the reason is to eliminate any possible differences between the 2 Reflection models especially since we're not in a rush to buy one. So maybe I'll be able to get lucky enough to find a dealer with both on the same lot. But if it gets close enough I'll just do the Reflection vs Reflection 150 comparison.

I believe you are correct about the countertops being different materials. Honestly, we did a quick walk-through of the 290BH and I'm wanting to do a much more thorough walkaround next time to really get a feel out of it. But at least visually it looked nice. But obviously, it makes a difference when you actually spend time in it especially after towing it for thousands of miles!

My only issue with asking Grand Design themselves or dealers is that they might try to put me in a brand new 28BH since it's a more expensive model. Not saying they will, but it's just my personal experience from people who want to sell you something.

As for the tow vehicle, I'll probably get a 3500 to simply open the doors for the ability to maybe upgrade to a Solitude one day. But to start with I just want to get what covers all my needs and get a feel of it before I drop big cash on something I'll use twice. :P
    Search the web for comparisons between 150 and reflections. This forum has had previous discussions. The 150 has the turning point hitch. It looks like the Reflection has a higher carrying capacity. Lighter is not always better in a trailer unless you have a truck that will not pull the bigger trailer. With a 3500 you have plenty of truck. Good luck with your search.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ceiling heights the same in both? That's a big deal for me at 6'5" and why I'm in an Imagine and not an Imagine XLS or Transcend as my first camper.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Search the web for comparisons between 150 and reflections. This forum has had previous discussions. The 150 has the turning point hitch. It looks like the Reflection has a higher carrying capacity. Lighter is not always better in a trailer unless you have a truck that will not pull the bigger trailer. With a 3500 you have plenty of truck. Good luck with your search.
    I've come across previous comparisons but they seem to be a bit outdated due to the 150 Series getting some of the features the regular reflections got. Plus I was more interested in the finer details people usually don't really pay attention to and maybe someone here has and could give more insight on what I'm looking for. As for going for the lighter trailer, it's not so much the weight that's my concern, it's more opening up my options and not spending money if I don't have to. If I'm not gonna miss out on anything from getting the 290BH, why spent the extra money fro the 28BH?

Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Ceiling heights the same in both? That's a big deal for me at 6'5" and why I'm in an Imagine and not an Imagine XLS or Transcend as my first camper.
    The height for the 31MB is only an inch taller than the 290BH. Granted, that doesn't mean the ceilings are any different, but I'd assume it would be. But considering I'm a foot shorter than you, that's not much of a concern. :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely out of curiosity, why 2021 models? Is it because they don't offer the 290BH in 2022? It seems they offer a 278BH that's similar in style to the 2017 to 2019 28BH.

IF you're really looking for 2021 models the few additional differences I saw between them are:

28BH is:
    Slightly longer (7 inches)
    Slightly taller
    Has 21ft awning vs 20 ft
    Has a porcelain toilet and not a plastic one
    Has corner shower with glass/plastic doors vs just a shower curtain
    Has 539 more lbs cargo carrying capacity

There may be other finite differences but those are what I found.

Jason
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    Purely out of curiosity, why 2021 models? Is it because they don't offer the 290BH in 2022? It seems they offer a 278BH that's similar in style to the 2017 to 2019 28BH.
    Just for a more simple apples-to-apples comparison. But yeah, I prefer the 290BH over the 278BH. I wouldn't mind a 278BH, but I'm also open to used models as well and am willing to drive a bit for a good deal so figured I'd keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    IF you're really looking for 2021 models the few additional differences I saw between them are:

28BH is:
    Slightly longer (7 inches)
    Slightly taller
    Has 21ft awning vs 20 ft
    Has a porcelain toilet and not a plastic one
    Has corner shower with glass/plastic doors vs just a shower curtain
    Has 539 more lbs cargo carrying capacity

There may be other finite differences but those are what I found.

Jason
    Interesting, didn't know about the porcelain vs plastic toilet. That makes a lot of sense, especially considering that should be part of the 416lb reduction on the hitch weight. Definitely going to be something I pay attention to when I check it out again. Honestly didn't even think about looking at the toilet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast