Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Batteries

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries

I know this has been covered, and probably by me talking about going with Lithium batteries, but for now.....
    I am going to put another 12 volt deep cycle in the camper. Since I have a 2022, I have a newer Continental battery in it. I can spend $90 right now on another continental and either do two 6 volts or Lithium later on.
    I don't boondock so believe it will serve my purpose. I just don't want anything to happen to the single battery and (perish the thought), have to manual crank my feet up.
    I think this is best idea for now but, man, still thinking about the two 6's hard.
    Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're almost always connected to shorepower, then another 12v will suit you just fine. The ONLY reason, IMO, to go lithium if your are constantly hooked up to shore is if you don't want the maintenence required with lead.

Two 6 volt are better, but again, if you're in power nearly all the time, don't matter much.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    If you're almost always connected to shorepower, then another 12v will suit you just fine. The ONLY reason, IMO, to go lithium if your are constantly hooked up to shore is if you don't want the maintenence required with lead.

Two 6 volt are better, but again, if you're in power nearly all the time, don't matter much.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4
    Thanks Yankee....pretty much my thoughts.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot, if you're always connected to shore power, one good 12V is sufficient. It's rare you're so far away from civilization that you can't pick up a different battery if your old one would bite the dust for some reason. Perhaps if you're running a residential, or 12V fridge, and do long travel days, it might be a thought, but otherwise, spend the money on a couple gallons of gas and go camping. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I know this has been covered, and probably by me talking about going with Lithium batteries, but for now.....
    I am going to put another 12 volt deep cycle in the camper. Since I have a 2022, I have a newer Continental battery in it. I can spend $90 right now on another continental and either do two 6 volts or Lithium later on.
    I don't boondock so believe it will serve my purpose. I just don't want anything to happen to the single battery and (perish the thought), have to manual crank my feet up.
    I think this is best idea for now but, man, still thinking about the two 6's hard.
    Thanks

When we got our 2 6 volts we kept all three batteries. I put a second box for the two 6 volts next to the original box. The cables reached the two batteries and all I had to get was a wire to go between the two batteries. Left the 12 volt sitting in its box not hooked up. If for some reason we have a problem with the 6 volts it will be a simple matter to hook back up to the original 12 volt. Good back up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a 12v fridge? Will it ever happen to overnight in a Walmart or truck stop? Maybe need the furnace?
    Just because you don't boondock doesn't mean 1 LA 12v will do the trick. Maybe 2 x 12v or 6v will suffice as oppose to a lithium. Everyone's needs are different.
    For us, it does happen to overnight without hookups and we do not have a 12v fridge but we do travel when nights can get cold enough to require the furnace. With the furnace, 1 12v LA is not enough. Then there's the battery weight that's important for some. We're close to payload and have to keep an eye on our tongue weight so 2 6v on the A frame is not really an option. With lithium, I'll be able to eliminate the LA on the A frame and move the lithium inside over the axles. Then there's cost. Up front and long term.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Whittle....I would be a little concerned with weight.....but, good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    When we got our 2 6 volts we kept all three batteries. I put a second box for the two 6 volts next to the original box. The cables reached the two batteries and all I had to get was a wire to go between the two batteries. Left the 12 volt sitting in its box not hooked up. If for some reason we have a problem with the 6 volts it will be a simple matter to hook back up to the original 12 volt. Good back up.