Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattress weight

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattress weight

Does anyone know the weight of the standard mattress in a grand design. Looking at upgrading and wanting to see how much weight it will add

Thanks

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattress weight

The 12 in Queen size Ortho that I bought a couple of months is about 80 lbs. I am going to assume since the stock is much thinner and less substantial than anything we would replace it with it would say a good 15 pounds plus is being added. King adds about 10 pounds more to that number.

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an RV king (72X80); i never weighed anything, but just looked at the memory foam I ordered on Amazon, and they list it as being 90 pounds. I do not know the weight of the original, but it did feel VERY light coming out. I can say that the original struts that hold the bed up to access under bed storage were no longer adequate.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @davehtutk,

It helps folks answer your questions if they know what RV you have - there's a lot of variation in bed sizes and mattress grades across the lines. You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

May I ask why you're worried about weight?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 8in queen Zinus that we got is listed at 42lbs. I didn't weigh the original mattress but it was lighter then the Zinus.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding in the signature would give alot more detail I do not want to put on the web in one searchable location, I choose not to do this to keep my profile at a certain level of reduce risk. I would rather not make my vehicle, prior jobs, trailer or travel history searchable to the World Wide Web at this time. Yes it can be found from other posts, but it makes it more difficult for people looking for information.

For the most part most GD come with a queen bed and im just working on a generalization. I accept that there will be some things that are not as specific and I accept that.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost any good mattress will be quite a bit heavier. We got a Verlo residential mattress, and I don't know what it weighs, but I changed the struts for the bed storage from 80lbs to 150 lbs and it's perfect. I think I got that advice from this forum.
    JK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV mattresses that come with most trailers and motor homes are pretty vile things. Most people either add a memory foam mattress topper or replace the mattress altogether. We’ve had both a mattress topper and a new mattress in the past. For us, a mattress topper wasn’t enough to overcome the plywood like feel of the factory mattress in our previous GD trailers. We currently have a Wilderness hybrid RV mattress and love it. It’s actually more comfortable than our mattress at home. It weighs about 70 lbs. Not the heaviest, but not as light as the 40 lb GD mattress it replaced.
    Last edited by Cenerus; 05-05-2022 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Typo

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really worried about the mattress weight, I think there's a more fundamental problem here that we need to talk about. Yes, a good mattress might add 30-50lbs. So will 5 gallons of water in the tank. Or a 2nd battery. Adding a generator, if you don't have one, adds a few 100 lbs.

If you're that close on either pin weight (on the truck) or axles on the RV; you might need a broader examination of the whole system. Adding <50lbs to your total weight should really not be something to worry about. Think about traveling with full tanks, that can easily add 1000lbs. Traveling with everything full, water, something in the waste tanks, fuel tanks (on a toy hauler), you can be 2000+ lbs.

There is one thing that you should keep in mind about a heavier mattress though; the struts that hold up them up typically need to be replaced or another system to hold the bed up. I just built a simple prop rod, but you could also change out the gas assist to something heavier. But that's about the only consideration that you should be worried about.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davehtutk View Post
    Does anyone know the weight of the standard mattress in a grand design. Looking at upgrading and wanting to see how much weight it will add

Thanks
    Another way to figure it out is to see the shipping weight of the new mattress if ordering online, it's usually included in the item description. The factory mattress doesnt weigh much, so you'll have to estimate that portion of the equation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast