User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Dripping in Through AC - Winter Storm

We have what is by my standards a mild winter storm with extreme cold (single digit temperatures). Now sitting in my living room, and water started dripping in through the AC unit vent. The trailer humidity is low (29%). Could it be condensation against metal components or should I be looking for a roof leak?
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    We have what is by my standards a mild winter storm with extreme cold (single digit temperatures). Now sitting in my living room, and water started dripping in through the AC unit vent. The trailer humidity is low (29%). Could it be condensation against metal components or should I be looking for a roof leak?
    Just an internet opinion, worth what you're paying for it, but my guess would be condensation. My logic, such as it may be:

Such low temps outside would make melting of rooftop snow and ice unlikely unless there's also a pretty serious heat leak in your ceiling/roof. There are four screws accessible from inside that hold the A/C to the roof... you could ensure that those are tight.

OTOH the air conditioner space just above the plastic grate that you see is mostly formed of sheet metal, something that could pick up cold from parts above it and act as condensing plates for the moisture - modest though it may be - in the air inside your trailer.

I'd probably look for a cheap cushion to stuff into that space (wrapped in plastic first), or a batt of glass insulation if you can find one without buying a bale of it, or a plastic bag of rags or old clothes, or some other form of batting / insulation.

Advice is yours to accept or discard at will. Hope the problem works out easy for you.
    Last edited by boyscout; 02-16-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also guessing condensation. Having had 3 different rigs over the years, I have never had the AC Leak. We have only camped in cold conditions a few times, and only with the new rig. Using the furnace we had a lot of condensation around windows and so on. Again just a guess.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it doesn't leak when it pours rain (when outside temperatures are normal) then my guess is also condensation.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are running heat and furnace I would suspect condensation as well , which will normally collect on the coldest areas of the rv such as windows, ac vents etc.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like boyscout said, pull the cover off inside and check the 4 mounting screws. I had a leak develop in mine and that's what it was.
    2022 Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500 HD
    2018 Momentum 328
    2018 Polaris RZR
    2005 Polaris Sportsman 500

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others said, check those four bolts inside your ac cover on the ceiling. There is a torque recommendation for these, maybe 40 inch lbs, but I’m not positive. These loosen up as some have reported, causing leaks.
    Last edited by Steve7; 02-17-2021 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed to inch lbs
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not over tighten the a/c bolts,there is a foam gasket between the roof and the a/c unit,too loose, yes they could leak and
    too tight they will destroy the gasket and leak.The nuts have to be torqued.My experience, the nuts are not much more
    than finger tight.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    As others said, check those four bolts inside your ac cover on the ceiling. There is a torque recommendation for these, maybe 40 foot lbs, but I’m not positive. These loosen up as some have reported, causing leaks.
    Sorry,but,it is inch lbs in this case,I found out the hard way.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison