User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about 390RK-R

Hello. I am not a Solitude owner yet.... I joined this forum to get a few answers and feedback. I appreciate your help / guidance in advance. My wife and I are experienced RVers and have been doing this for nearly 20 years (we started young...). We are on our 3rd RV - a Heartland Big Country 3650RL (40 foot).

We are considering trading our Heartland 5er for a Grand Design Solitude 390RK-R. We have not been to visit one in person yet for a myriad of reason but I wanted to get some feedback from current owners of that model before we go to the dealership.

Can someone post a photo of the inside of the coach -> looking from the door back to the kitchen with the slides IN? I can't see to find a photo of that anywhere.

Are you able to control the slides individually? Since the refrigerator and kitchen are all the way in the back (which we think we like), it kinda makes it a little more difficult to stop by the side of the road for quick lunch if you have to run out all the slides.

We are not full timers (weekenders trending towards anytimers) so our unit has to sit in a covered storage facility for a few months at a time. Due to size/width restrictions at my storage facility, I have to store my RV with slides IN. On my current 5er, we are able to leave the refrigerator doors open to help with ventilation, mold, sell, etc. while the coach is not being used and is not powered up. Is this even possible with the 390RK?

Last question - tell me things you don't like about your 390RK.

Much appreciated Grand Design Community! :-)

Thank you.
    Chris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaskins View Post
    Hello. I am not a Solitude owner yet.... I joined this forum to get a few answers and feedback. I appreciate your help / guidance in advance. My wife and I are experienced RVers and have been doing this for nearly 20 years (we started young...). We are on our 3rd RV - a Heartland Big Country 3650RL (40 foot).

We are considering trading our Heartland 5er for a Grand Design Solitude 390RK-R. We have not been to visit one in person yet for a myriad of reason but I wanted to get some feedback from current owners of that model before we go to the dealership.

Can someone post a photo of the inside of the coach -> looking from the door back to the kitchen with the slides IN? I can't see to find a photo of that anywhere.

Are you able to control the slides individually? Since the refrigerator and kitchen are all the way in the back (which we think we like), it kinda makes it a little more difficult to stop by the side of the road for quick lunch if you have to run out all the slides.

We are not full timers (weekenders trending towards anytimers) so our unit has to sit in a covered storage facility for a few months at a time. Due to size/width restrictions at my storage facility, I have to store my RV with slides IN. On my current 5er, we are able to leave the refrigerator doors open to help with ventilation, mold, sell, etc. while the coach is not being used and is not powered up. Is this even possible with the 390RK?

Thank you.
    Chris
    Hello and welcome to the forums from another Chris. I can only answer one of you questions. The slides can be operated individually on the Solitudes. The Schwintek slides have separate buttons on the convivence center (not sure about the One Control app as we do not have that). The hydraulic slides only have a single control button, but there are hydraulic lock out valves in the curb side propane compartment that can be use to lock out (in or out) the individual slides. Sounds harder than it is, really pretty easy. Have the dealer show you where they are (black knobs in the back of a black, unlit compartment can be hard to see at first. On your unit (when you get it) make sure the valves turn easily. They are a needle valve and do NOT require a lot of force to close (or open).

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgaskins View Post

Thank you.
    Chris
    We have the 390rk.
    You cannot access the refrigerator without opening the lr slides(operate in tandem, unless you screw with the valve controls, which is a PITA) and you have to open the door side kitchen slide. I do both with my phone and the one touch app as I approach the trailer if I need access. Pretty quick process. So far, not a big deal.
    When stored, the right side refrigerator doors stay in the open position for ventilation, etc. No problem.
    We LOVE ours, and have no regrets. The rear kitchen is a bit bouncy going down the road, so the things in cabinets and the fridge get tossed about a bit, but nothing serious. I think it's cool to find the egg carton upside down, but intact on each trip. Makes me respect the engineering of egg cartons.
    2021 GD Solitude 390rk
    2021 Ford F350 Lariat Superduty DRW
    2015 Wildcat max 310rl
    2005 Newmar Dutch Star 39ft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lgleaves View Post
    We have the 390rk.
    You cannot access the refrigerator without opening the lr slides(operate in tandem, unless you screw with the valve controls, which is a PITA) and you have to open the door side kitchen slide. I do both with my phone and the one touch app as I approach the trailer if I need access. Pretty quick process. So far, not a big deal.
    When stored, the right side refrigerator doors stay in the open position for ventilation, etc. No problem.
    We LOVE ours, and have no regrets. The rear kitchen is a bit bouncy going down the road, so the things in cabinets and the fridge get tossed about a bit, but nothing serious. I think it's cool to find the egg carton upside down, but intact on each trip. Makes me respect the engineering of egg cartons.
    Good to know! Thank you so much... Keeping that fridge from getting mold and smell is big concern when storing in the Texas heat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums from another Chris. I can only answer one of you questions. The slides can be operated individually on the Solitudes. The Schwintek slides have separate buttons on the convivence center (not sure about the One Control app as we do not have that). The hydraulic slides only have a single control button, but there are hydraulic lock out valves in the curb side propane compartment that can be use to lock out (in or out) the individual slides. Sounds harder than it is, really pretty easy. Have the dealer show you where they are (black knobs in the back of a black, unlit compartment can be hard to see at first. On your unit (when you get it) make sure the valves turn easily. They are a needle valve and do NOT require a lot of force to close (or open).

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Excellent. Thank you Chris.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good walk through here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BFDioJAGk

My only concern is so much weight in the back end. I have experienced a problem on my Splendide washing machine that I attribute to being on the back wall of my very large 5th wheel. Long story short, the drum on this washer broke from the supports. 5 year old machine, in my opinion caused by all the bouncing that goes on back there (I don't exceed 65mph). Just looking at how far the back end goes beyond the axles.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a 2020 390RK-R and have lived in it full-time since March 2020.

First let me say that you will (and probably have) experience(d) issues with ANY RV due to the nature of the vehicle.

While the 390RK is a beautiful layout it does come with issues. Others have mentioned the bouncy rear kitchen. The fridge is in the very back so it gets whipped pretty good when hitting any sized bump. We have to pack our R-fridge full of packing material (towels) to prevent breakage and/or violent shifting about. Everything in the cabinets has to be secured with bars or packing material as all the cabinets are subject to the earthquake for every trip.

While stored, the right side fridge door can stay open if needed but the freezer and left side door are blocked with the slides in. Kitchen access is typically not possible once the slides are in. You can do it with a little squeezing but it's not easy.

WATCH YOUR WEIGHT! We were all doe-eyed with the available storage space but almost immediately blew away the documented 16.8K GVWR. If you're not full-time then you'll probably be ok with a very limited amount of "stuff" in the rear storage area. Be careful with the weight you place in the door-side kitchen slide as it has the pantry, stove, and oven. Ours sheered off one of the gear block gib rivets and the motor retaining screw all with less than half full pantry...

If you can get an 8K axle package, do it. We have upgraded our 7k axles to the 8K IS from MorRyde and it has helped some with ride but not capacity.

The water, propane, hvac systems work well and the wet bay is well designed and easily accessible.

The storage is crazy big but again watch your weight.

The installed furniture is typical RV quality and comfort.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like more of the gory details of our experience. Good luck!
    Joe and Beth - Not in Kansas anymore…
    2018 Ford F350, 6.7L Diesel, DRW, CC, LB
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]