Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings from Asbury Park

Hi all!
    Just came back from our 3500+ mile/ 28 day maiden voyage. New to GD and new to RV life (other than five days in a rental class c for my 50th bday almost nine years ago). We had an amazing time. I've since learned that most people take their new rigs out for a local weekend on their first trip. Oh well, live and learn. Lol. I'll credit this forum for helping to make the first outing a booming success. So thank you all! You have all helped us with some organization tips, what to pack tips, and things to look out for tips.

We made it from NJ to Florida and back again with relatively few issues. We did have a problem with cycling "check trailer brakes" and "trailer brakes connected" messages when we came to a stop at a rest station on day three. After an hour on the phone with our dealer's service department, we were fairly confident it was not an active safety concern but more a communication issue between the truck and trailer. (Upon arrival in FL, we brought our new truck in for it's first service and they said we needed an adapter because it is a trailer issue... doubtful, but I'd love input if anyone else has had this problem.)

We arrived home yesterday and parked in our driveway. We extended the slide-out to empty everything from the bedroom and then... the slide-out would not retract! I can hear the motor making noise, but no slide movement happens. We felt lucky that this happened after our 28 days on the road and 10 stops at different campgrounds. But then our dealer said that they couldn't send a mobile service crew to us because we were NOT at a campsite. Really? Hopefully we will get some better news tomorrow. Should we contact GD CS?

The sour ending did not dampen our spirits and we can't wait to get out there again. The road is calling and we must go!
    Maryanne & Lori - Asbury Park, NJ
    2021 Transcend XPlor 221RB
    2021 F-150 Platinum hybrid engine, max tow pkg
    2021 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax (quickly retired)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Are you plugged into shore power? Wonder if it's a weak battery causing your slide problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not plugged in, but battery monitor reading is 'full'.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would plug it in and see if that changes anything.

Those "battery monitors" on the switch panel are not really battery monitors. If you have a dealer installed lead acid battery and let the battery level decrease to what those stock battery monitors are labeled at, you will most likely have battery damage at some point. Might be worthwhile to put a meter on the battery and see what it reads if you're curious. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210503-211033_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	33877

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justmar View Post
    Hi all!
    Just came back from our 3500+ mile/ 28 day maiden voyage. New to GD and new to RV life (other than five days in a rental class c for my 50th bday almost nine years ago). We had an amazing time. I've since learned that most people take their new rigs out for a local weekend on their first trip. Oh well, live and learn. Lol. I'll credit this forum for helping to make the first outing a booming success. So thank you all! You have all helped us with some organization tips, what to pack tips, and things to look out for tips.

We made it from NJ to Florida and back again with relatively few issues. We did have a problem with cycling "check trailer brakes" and "trailer brakes connected" messages when we came to a stop at a rest station on day three. After an hour on the phone with our dealer's service department, we were fairly confident it was not an active safety concern but more a communication issue between the truck and trailer. (Upon arrival in FL, we brought our new truck in for it's first service and they said we needed an adapter because it is a trailer issue... doubtful, but I'd love input if anyone else has had this problem.)

We arrived home yesterday and parked in our driveway. We extended the slide-out to empty everything from the bedroom and then... the slide-out would not retract! I can hear the motor making noise, but no slide movement happens. We felt lucky that this happened after our 28 days on the road and 10 stops at different campgrounds. But then our dealer said that they couldn't send a mobile service crew to us because we were NOT at a campsite. Really? Hopefully we will get some better news tomorrow. Should we contact GD CS?

The sour ending did not dampen our spirits and we can't wait to get out there again. The road is calling and we must go!
    Welcome to the forum. Glad your trip was a success, glad you posted your positive experience.

You might look into something like this for your truck trailer connection. And research Chevy/GMC trailer brake issue; I think you will find you are not alone with what you experienced.

oh - and I agree with the others about the battery; it's best to check that first.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=FT4NOW;367408]I would plug it in and see if that changes anything.

Those "battery monitors" on the switch panel are not really battery monitors. If you have a dealer installed lead acid battery and let the battery level decrease to what those stock battery monitors are labeled at, you will most likely have battery damage at some point. Might be worthwhile to put a meter on the battery and see what it reads if you're curious. Click image for larger version. 

Thank you for the guidance. I'll try it today. As a newbie, just checking, I can run a cord from a household outlet and use a 30amp adapter to plug into the TT? Yes?

I don't have a meter for the battery, but I will look into getting one.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I would plug it in and see if that changes anything.

Thank you for the guidance. I'll try it today. As a newbie, just checking, I can run a cord from a household outlet and use a 30amp adapter to plug into the TT? Yes?

I don't have a meter for the battery, but I will look into getting one.
    Yes a house outlet will work with an adapter, just be mindful if large electrical loads like AC, microwave, electric water heater, etc. No issue running thr slides or charging the battery off the house outlet. Even a basic multimeter is very useful for an RV. Take your measurements at the battery.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might look into something like this for your truck trailer connection. And research Chevy/GMC trailer brake issue; I think you will find you are not alone with what you experienced.

Interesting. This is the adapter the GMC dealer told me to get. https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...rt/C57003.html He said that seemed to solve the problem for others. I had researched the trailer brake issue before I brought it in and told the GMC service manager that it seemed to be an issue with the truck's wiring connection itself (although I also saw other folks talk about loose connections on the trailer that they fixed themselves). GMC was adamant that it was not a truck problem, but rather a trailer problem. Trailer dealer pointed the other direction. I am unfortunately stuck in the middle.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: connected to shore power, slide made the same motor noise but no movement. It's like the motor is running but the gears aren't turning.