User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 351MS vs 397THS?

We are in the process of narrowing down the list of potential rigs to buy and are looking for some insight.

A little history: We have never towed a fifth wheel nor anything this big and would like some insight on the real vs perceive limitations. We are in the process of planning to retire and do some traveling but want to take the Bikes and other toys.

When we first started researching which RV we ran across several YouTube channels and fell in love with the floorplan of the 397TH. However, I am starting to question the ability to travel with such a long rig. So, I started looking at the 351MS which is 4 feet shorter. One of my questions, does the 4 feet really make a difference with finding a campsite? Maneuvering in the campground, etc? We will be pulling it with a 2022 F450 which is currently on order as well.

Dual Pane windows: Are they worth it? I am told that they add ~600# to the rig weight. That can potentially really limit the CCC of the 351M unit which is already only 2100# with 7K axles.

One of the glaring differences between these 2 units is the CCC. I want to be able to carry a SxS at some point down the road but it seems that the weight could really become a limit for the 351MS. I am told that by ordering the 8K axles added 1200# to the CCC which for the 351MS would get it to 3300#.

Residential vs RV refrigerator?? Advantages? From what I have learned the residential is a better especially in hot climates, but how do you figure out the power needs? It is my understanding that the factory solar is not adequate to maintain power to it if boondocking.

TIA

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfowens View Post
    We are in the process of narrowing down the list of potential rigs to buy and are looking for some insight.

A little history: We have never towed a fifth wheel nor anything this big and would like some insight on the real vs perceive limitations. We are in the process of planning to retire and do some traveling but want to take the Bikes and other toys.

When we first started researching which RV we ran across several YouTube channels and fell in love with the floorplan of the 397TH. However, I am starting to question the ability to travel with such a long rig. So, I started looking at the 351MS which is 4 feet shorter. One of my questions, does the 4 feet really make a difference with finding a campsite? Maneuvering in the campground, etc? We will be pulling it with a 2022 F450 which is currently on order as well.

Dual Pane windows: Are they worth it? I am told that they add ~600# to the rig weight. That can potentially really limit the CCC of the 351M unit which is already only 2100# with 7K axles.

One of the glaring differences between these 2 units is the CCC. I want to be able to carry a SxS at some point down the road but it seems that the weight could really become a limit for the 351MS. I am told that by ordering the 8K axles added 1200# to the CCC which for the 351MS would get it to 3300#.

Residential vs RV refrigerator?? Advantages? From what I have learned the residential is a better especially in hot climates, but how do you figure out the power needs? It is my understanding that the factory solar is not adequate to maintain power to it if boondocking.

TIA
    Welcome to the group.
    Those are 2 pretty big rigs. Anything over 35 feet you might run into issues in parks. Private CG can usually accommodate either one. The F450 will be a great match. If you can, go with the 8k axles I'd do that. Even though DP windows add a few hundred pounds, the benefits outway the cons. More insulation from heat, cold and noise. When cold camping, you won't see any condensation on the windows. Residential fridge will out perform rv fridge and are cheaper to replace/repair. Also more room. However, if you plan on boondocking, you need a larger battery bank. I'd look at multiple lithium batteries and increase your solar array.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. When when we were looking at rigs, we were debating between the 351 and the 395. We were a bit worried at first of buying an almost 44ft toy hauler, having never towed anything ever previously, but many RVers pointed out the minimal difference between 40 and 44ft. In our experience so far we have not encountered much trouble with our rig, and we plan the RV parks according to its size.

We have opted for dual pane windows and enjoy the increase insulation as well as reduced noise. You will find that most people who have dual pane windows enjoy them.

If you go with the 351, it would make sense to choose the 8k axle.

We have chosen the RV refrigerator because we want to have the option to run it either on propane, or electric, depending on the situation.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Steph. You mention a larger battery bank for boondocking, but what about just traveling. I am not familiar with how much the "standard" RV rig current draw is. Any insight would be appreciated. I assume as long as you are connected to the tow vehicle (traveling) or to shore power everything is great, but can you go a couple of days without either? Maybe run the generator to charge up the battery bank during the evening when prepping dinner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alkbch,
    Thanks for the insight. How are you liking your RV refrigerator so far?

Dwayne

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alkbch,

Dwayne
    Dwayne ( @dfowens ),

Welcome to the forum. Here are a few hints:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alkbch,

Dwayne
    For the most part is has been serving us well. Norcold fridges are notorious for some small quirks, and I had to add a couple small nylon washer under the bottom doors to lift them up slightly in order for them to latch properly. The fans on the back of the fridge gave away and I replaced them with sturdier computer fans. Since then I have an easier time keeping the fridge cool even in hot summer. There are a couple of tweaks for winter camping as well, for example covering some of the air vents.

Having said that, if I had to pick again, I would still go with the RV fridge over the residential fridge.
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    For the most part is has been serving us well. Norcold fridges are notorious for some small quirks, and I had to add a couple small nylon washer under the bottom doors to lift them up slightly in order for them to latch properly. The fans on the back of the fridge gave away and I replaced them with sturdier computer fans. Since then I have an easier time keeping the fridge cool even in hot summer. There are a couple of tweaks for winter camping as well, for example covering some of the air vents.

Having said that, if I had to pick again, I would still go with the RV fridge over the residential fridge.
    ... And I'll play devil's advocate and take the opposite view. Our first 4-1/2 years full-timing were with a Norcold 1210 absorption refrigerator. It was nothing but trouble. We had three major failures and had to replace the entire cooling unit once. We ordered our new Solitude with a residential fridge (and solar with LiFePO4 batteries) and couldn't be happier. The fridge and freezer never vary one degree from their set temps and we are now at two years with it with nary a problem. Of course, if you plan to boondock a lot, you would need more solar and batteries, but our batteries are still fully charged at the end of a long travel day.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll like either of those units and I really love having my toy hauler. I can't ever see being without one because of what I do with it.

When we were picking a toy hauler a year ago we crossed off anything with a triple axle. We travel more than sit still, we boondock or overnight @ rest stops/parking lots/truck stops about 40-60% of the time, and for work I have to pull it down sketchy dirt roads into BLM and USFS land. In the past with my other haulers, I've had to fix more leaf spring/shackle/ hanger/equalizer problems than I can remember. So another axle just seemed like adding more problems.

Also because of boondocking, rest stops, etc. I didn't want to get >40'. Even with my shortish 349M, I have to pay attention to turning radius and tailswing in tight lots, narrow roads, and forests. If you're going to travel between in RV parks most of the time, like @alkbch said, it's probably not a problem.

Kind of the same goes for the refrigerator. If you're going to be at places where you can plug in most of the time, a residential would likely be good like Rob said. I have an RV Norcold and had to do the washer door adjustment trick that @alkbch mentioned, but since then it's worked perfectly. I like having the dual fuel option.

Finally, going with 8k axles and disc brakes is always an option well worth it (unless it's always going to be parked).
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 02-22-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an experienced 5th wheeler yet. However, we ordered our 351MS on Feb. 7th, 2022. Our main motivation for this unit over the 381MS was the fact that anything over 41' is illegal in British Columbia. We added all of the options except for the paint and upgrade to the stereo. The 8k axles with disc brakes is a solid upgrade giving you more CCC. And a SXS should fit in there, but it depends on actual measurements, as they vary in size.

Welcome, and GLW your choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast