User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class Action Lawsuit Over Fire Danger

Not specifically Grand Design but I was curious if GD installs protection between the batteries and the 12-volt distribution point in the trailer.

https://www.rvtravel.com/fifth-wheel...uit-rvt-1098b/
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class Action Lawsuit Over Fire Danger

Only in Merica

All of my trailers always have had a fuse on the batteries
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to understand this issue specifically.... This is what that article said.....

"...The fire broke out in the electrical junction box that connects to the rig’s 7-connector wiring that umbilicals the trailer to the tow vehicle wiring. Nelson contends the fire was the result of improper wiring and that Forest River didn’t have a circuit breaker in the wiring that ran from the house batteries out to the junction box. A short in the wiring led to too much current, and the wiring caught fire...."

So, which wire going from the RV to the 7 pin junction box, which I assume is actually in the pin box, wasn't fused?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Trying to understand this issue specifically.... This is what that article said.....

"...The fire broke out in the electrical junction box that connects to the rig’s 7-connector wiring that umbilicals the trailer to the tow vehicle wiring. Nelson contends the fire was the result of improper wiring and that Forest River didn’t have a circuit breaker in the wiring that ran from the house batteries out to the junction box. A short in the wiring led to too much current, and the wiring caught fire...."

So, which wire going from the RV to the 7 pin junction box, which I assume is actually in the pin box, wasn't fused?
    I was curious about that also, my battery feed does not go to the 7-pin junction box but to the 12-volt busbar. I will add an inline fuse on that line as it goes through some holes in the chassis where it could rub. Fuse as close to the positive battery post as possible.
    Last edited by Cahriad; 04-01-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

I suspect the 12 volt charge lead which is a hot wire from the tow vehicle going to the trailer. If it grounded in the junction box where the umbilical connects to the trailer wiring it could cause a fire.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I suspect the 12 volt charge lead which is a hot wire from the tow vehicle going to the trailer. If it grounded in the junction box where the umbilical connects to the trailer wiring it could cause a fire.
    Could be but my 12 volts from the truck is fused at 12 amps.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    Yes, the truck side is fused but the trailer side may not be. If there were a short in that box the RV battery could overload the wiring by back feeding on that wire and cause the fire even after the truck fuse blows.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    The charge lead is fused on the truck end, but everyone should check whether it’s fused on the trailer end where it ultimately terminates near the batteries. Mine was NOT, meaning any fault in that charge wire will be fed from the coach batteries until it burns open. I posted about this a few weeks ago… 1/9/23 “Charge wire not fused at the coach”.
    Last edited by LMagelitz; 04-02-2023 at 06:56 AM.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I posted about this a few weeks ago… 1/9/23 “Charge wire not fused at the coach”.
    Worth a link ..
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...d-at-the-coach
    signature

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a YouTube about this issue and it started all kinds of speculation and comments on their channel. I even read someone said it was caused by wiring in the truck 7 way plug. Just what caused the fire. At least one would need a qualified person to inspect and determine what caused it? Once you got a mass ball of burned up wiring in the pin box, can you really tell?

Was it the charge wire, or was it the emerg breakaway ckt? Now I was under the impression that the emerg breakaway ckt was not supposed to be fused just in case the RV separated from the TV. Now if it was the charging wire pin 4 of the 7way there is a fuse in the TV but where does the ckt run from the pin box to the battery / ies? There are no electrical wiring diagrams that I have ever seen or heard about with our GDRVs. I think we all know the wiring in most all RVs is atrocious!!

People out there can really go bonkers with speculation. I don't know what really happened or how it will end for the poor owners, hope it gets all sorted out. I must say I would have thought twice before I bought the same brand even if it was newer.

But I say this, I'll get in the front storage compartment and take a look around the battery and buss bar area. But then again I have no idea what wire is the 12V charge wire at the battery area, or what color it is , or where it goes. I do have a meter so I'll go poking around. I do know when I replace the pin box for the MORryde I took the cover off the wiring box and it looked really good, neat and well organized in there.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-05-2023 at 07:08 PM. Reason: additional
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast