Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merk44 View Post
    ok newbie question coming at y'all. Why not just use google maps on your phone? I get you don't always have cell reception but the phone always has GPS. I'm sure y'all have a good reason and like i said were new willing to take any advise.
    Thanks
    Google maps will route you like you are driving a Yugo. It will put you on some roads that you really should not be on, think about some of the ways it has taken you, and now think about it pulling a trailer. Small roads, and such, much less the low bridges. It isn't so bad on the west coast, but I learned my lesson on the east coast. Wise investment in a Garmin 760 was made shortly after one such trip.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I have a Garmin RV770 GPS.

Using a GPS designed for RV use will, most of the time, keep you out of places where towing an RV is not a good idea such as low bridges and narrow streets. It doesn’t always work perfectly but it will be better than a standard GPS and much better than any Cell phone based system I have tried.

I use RV Trip Wizard to plan the route. It can be a bit of messing around to get the route into the GPS but, for me, it’s worth the messing around because I really like the routing and planning that is available in RV Trip Wizard.
    So does garmin just use your trip as planned through rv trip wizard or does it tweak it further. Just wondering why put it into the gps (other than the fact that you have it) rather than just use it through the rv trip wizard app? Full disclosure...I also use rv trip wizard for planning as it shows low bridges, etc. but have found that the navigation sometimes leaves something to be desired. Had a recent instance where it took me in a big circle wasting about 5 extra miles where google maps would have taken us directly to the destination. The direct route was fine, btw. We used it on the way back.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS350 View Post
    So does garmin just use your trip as planned through rv trip wizard or does it tweak it further. Just wondering why put it into the gps (other than the fact that you have it) rather than just use it through the rv trip wizard app? Full disclosure...I also use rv trip wizard for planning as it shows low bridges, etc. but have found that the navigation sometimes leaves something to be desired. Had a recent instance where it took me in a big circle wasting about 5 extra miles where google maps would have taken us directly to the destination. The direct route was fine, btw. We used it on the way back.

I prefer to have my route on the GPS up on the dash. I load the RV Trip Wizard through Basecamp which takes some manipulating but I have time to do it so for me it is no big deal. EVERY GPS or routing software that I have ever used will sometimes send you someplace weird or the long way around. Always review the route and make changes where you see they would be needed.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I prefer to have my route on the GPS up on the dash. I load the RV Trip Wizard through Basecamp which takes some manipulating but I have time to do it so for me it is no big deal. EVERY GPS or routing software that I have ever used will sometimes send you someplace weird or the long way around. Always review the route and make changes where you see they would be needed.
    I do the same. There are some gotchas but with workarounds. Once it is on the Garmin, I review each leg the night before travel and compare to RVTW. For long trips (over 29 VIA points which is a hard limit in the Garmin), I have to do some juggling or Garmin will split the trip. But I've gone as high as 40 campsites plus a dozen or so fuel stops.

FYI, I just opened BaseCamp for the first time this year and was very surprised to see an update pushed.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Google maps will route you like you are driving a Yugo. It will put you on some roads that you really should not be on, think about some of the ways it has taken you, and now think about it pulling a trailer. Small roads, and such, much less the low bridges. It isn't so bad on the west coast, but I learned my lesson on the east coast. Wise investment in a Garmin 760 was made shortly after one such trip.
    That is the reason I bought Mine. We were almost stuck at a low bridge in Niagra Falls Ny a few years ago. I say almost because we made it through, but the bridge was marked almost 1/2 foot below my rig height. We had a couple of inches to spare, but I vowed not to have that happen again. I held up traffic for a short time while scoping out the situation.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use Co-Pilot GPS. Its a RV and truck navigation APP that runs on our cell phones and costs RV users $30 per year. It keeps us off Parkways (there are lots of these in the Northeast), away from low bridges, bridges that can't support our weight, etc, It also tracks and offers route adjustments based upon current traffic conditions.

We downloaded the North American map into the phone so it doesn't rely on cell service, it only needs that for traffic conditions. We also run Google maps at the same time just to be safe. The two APPs usually agree on the route we are taking. When they don't agree we usually find the Co-Pilot is avoiding something. I just could not see spending $300 or more for a GPS and have yet another device sitting on my dash board.

We've been using it for 4 years and have logged over 20,000 miles towing with it and we've had no serious issues thus far.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    That is the reason I bought Mine. We were almost stuck at a low bridge in Niagra Falls Ny a few years ago. I say almost because we made it through, but the bridge was marked almost 1/2 foot below my rig height. We had a couple of inches to spare, but I vowed not to have that happen again. I held up traffic for a short time while scoping out the situation.
    I think I found that bridge several years ago myself...Like you...we had about 2" of clearance....went about 3mph through there.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I think I found that bridge several years ago myself...Like you...we had about 2" of clearance....went about 3mph through there.
    The funny thing about this for us was we were sitting around the fire the night before having a few relaxing carbonated beverages and talking about different things. We were camping with Several of my wife's bros and sisters (large family). Two of her brothers brought up bridge heights and the one, who lives in NY, and the oldest, who was a truck driver said that bridges in NY are marked about 1' under their actual clearance to accommodate for road re-paving and such. Once we scoped it out I felt pretty good about going through, but I don't want that again.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Happened to us following google maps in Ohio. Even though we had the Garmin as we exited for a fuel stop to our chagrin an overturned heavy equipment trailer was sitting on the ramp we needed to get on once fueled. Either we found another route, backtracked, or waited for hours for a crane to arrive and right the equipment. Garmin didn't know about the accident so I used google maps that showed what I thought was an overpass of the highway we needed to get back on. Nope. Under a bridge with no markings on a very narrow country road so I figured it was 13'6" which would give us a half inch. Came to a dead stop and couldn't find any restriction in Motor Carriers Road Atlas but it sure looked like we might take something off the top. DW got out and walked ahead as I inched forward the distance between her hands getting smaller. About 2 inches and a lot of cars lined up behind me - but no trucks. Learned three lessons. Don't rely on google maps - stay with the trucks - go back from where I came and follow the Garmin.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Happened to us following google maps in Ohio. Even though we had the Garmin as we exited for a fuel stop to our chagrin an overturned heavy equipment trailer was sitting on the ramp we needed to get on once fueled. Either we found another route, backtracked, or waited for hours for a crane to arrive and right the equipment. Garmin didn't know about the accident so I used google maps that showed what I thought was an overpass of the highway we needed to get back on. Nope. Under a bridge with no markings on a very narrow country road so I figured it was 13'6" which would give us a half inch. Came to a dead stop and couldn't find any restriction in Motor Carriers Road Atlas but it sure looked like we might take something off the top. DW got out and walked ahead as I inched forward the distance between her hands getting smaller. About 2 inches and a lot of cars lined up behind me - but no trucks. Learned three lessons. Don't rely on google maps - stay with the trucks - go back from where I came and follow the Garmin.
    I have never used google maps for anything. Prior to out first Garmin it was maps and Road Atlas - wife navigating. It took a little for her to get used to reading a map, but she became expert. Her biggest issue was keeping the map oriented to the direction of travel. (Her sense of direction is terrible).
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast