User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CL & EC View Post
    I was just rereading your post, and have a question. What do you mean by, "The hangers needed some corner relief ground to clear the wider long leaf"? Lew told me the springs would fit in my existing leaf spring hangers.
    Lew is probably right, but I did a measurement of the spring eyelet to wider-leaf area ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hangerspace.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	45643

And I thought that there could eventually be some interference with the corner of the hanger (maybe from too much bushing wear).
    On my stock springs, there was some scuffing from the hanger on the spring - probably from when I took it on some questionable dirt roads and got some lateral load.

Name:	20220619_rightside_scuff.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	45644

So I asked the guy installing the springs if he'd chamfer the hanger corner a little to add some extra clearance.

Name:	hangerclearance.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	45642

It just gave me a little piece of mind ...
    Last edited by jjbbrewer; 03-31-2023 at 03:14 PM.
    signature

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. I am hoping to get some feedback/advise from any of you who have replaced your original leaf springs that came with your trailer. I own a 2018 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS with 2 6K axles and 4 stack leaf springs. Apparently Lippert does not make a 5 leaf double eye option for whatever reason. I was speaking with one of there techs and he was saying going to there 6 leaf, 3,500 lb leaf springs would be a good fit for my unit. I thought they only advised going 1 leaf up but I guess they base it off of their allotted weight so these 6 leaf would be the next size up. Have any of you made this change in your suspension?What has been your experience? Did it add much height? I am estimating about a 1” increase? Also, the Lippert tech said the additional 500 lbs in leaf springs wouldn’t affect my Equq Flex’ either which was a concern of mine with not wanting it to ride to rigid. Ok, thanks for reading any feedback you can provide.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    I just upgraded from 4 leaf 4K springs to 5 leaf 6k springs, I had one of the OEM springs fail while I was on the interstate. Not pleasant. While I was at it I upgraded to the MORyde CRE3000 and heavy duty shackles. The difference is vast when compared side by side. I have yet to tow with the new springs but I will tell you the sway I was experiencing before was very noticeable and the suck back from big rigs was difficult. I initially attributed this to a new tow vehicle which was lighter, however seeing how worn my springs were I believe they are the culprit. I got all my parts from etrailer.com good prices and fast delivery. I will look into American made next time now that I know there is a custom option. The springs I ordered were of course Chinese. I also will be very diligent with my greasing given how deformed the bolts were and my lack of greasing before.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lippert put 3000 lbs springs and v clips on my 2014 303.
    No problems, no cost rides good.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linndoren View Post
    I just upgraded from 4 leaf 4K springs to 5 leaf 6k springs, I had one of the OEM springs fail while I was on the interstate. Not pleasant. While I was at it I upgraded to the MORyde CRE3000 and heavy duty shackles. The difference is vast when compared side by side. I have yet to tow with the new springs but I will tell you the sway I was experiencing before was very noticeable and the suck back from big rigs was difficult. I initially attributed this to a new tow vehicle which was lighter, however seeing how worn my springs were I believe they are the culprit. I got all my parts from etrailer.com good prices and fast delivery. I will look into American made next time now that I know there is a custom option. The springs I ordered were of course Chinese. I also will be very diligent with my greasing given how deformed the bolts were and my lack of greasing before.
    Hey, I’m curious how your install went? These 6 leaf 3500 pound springs I got that were custom American made are legit! I just started as it looks like the MORryde 4000 I got is not compatible and I am going to have to return it. Did all the measurements, double checked with one of there reps and what do you know, put the first spring on and it doesn’t work with it. Anyway, you state you went from a 4 leaf 4K to a 5 leaf 6 K. I believe your 4 leafs should have been rated higher than 4K, no? Have you towed it after going to the higher rated springs? I’m starting to worry this upgrade of mine may cause it to be too stiff but the truth is, I don’t think I’ll even know either way when I’m going down the highway.
    CL & EC
    2017 F-250 CC Diesel
    2018 Grand Design 311BHS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I’m curious how your install went? These 6 leaf 3500 pound springs I got that were custom American made are legit! I just started as it looks like the MORryde 4000 I got is not compatible and I am going to have to return it. Did all the measurements, double checked with one of there reps and what do you know, put the first spring on and it doesn’t work with it. Anyway, you state you went from a 4 leaf 4K to a 5 leaf 6 K. I believe your 4 leafs should have been rated higher than 4K, no? Have you towed it after going to the higher rated springs? I’m starting to worry this upgrade of mine may cause it to be too stiff but the truth is, I don’t think I’ll even know either way when I’m going down the highway.
    Could you expand on the difficulties with your spring compatibility with the MorRyde?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Lew is probably right, but I did a measurement of the spring eyelet to wider-leaf area ..

Name:	hangerspace.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	45643

And I thought that there could eventually be some interference with the corner of the hanger (maybe from too much bushing wear).
    On my stock springs, there was some scuffing from the hanger on the spring - probably from when I took it on some questionable dirt roads and got some lateral load.

Name:	20220619_rightside_scuff.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	45644

So I asked the guy installing the springs if he'd chamfer the hanger corner a little to add some extra clearance.

Name:	hangerclearance.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	45642

It just gave me a little piece of mind ...
    You weren’t kidding about these Alcan springs being better quality. My goodness, they are heavy duty! So I put the first one on today. Long story but I had to stop after discovering the MORryde All Trek 4000 I ordered isn’t compatible. I took all the measurements, double checked with one of there reps and here we are 🤦**♂️ Anyhow, I noticed you have a Momentum anc looking at the pictures you posted of the Alcan springs installed, it looks like you have the 6 leaf? I’m starting to second guess myself and worry these may cause the ride to be to stiff because it was a pain in the butt to get that first one on. The others I ended up returning to E-Trailer were easy to put on and take off. You could tell they were not good quality and compared to these Alcan springs, wow, what a difference! Lew did tell me they were rated for 3500 lbs and from what I have researched, a lot of people have done this upgrade and for the better. I’m just wondering why mine would be the same number of leafs as yours when you have a much heavier unit? Were yours rated for 4K or higher? I’m just hoping Lew was being honest with me and that these are just some serious heavy duty springs. This is my first time doing any of this and so I don’t have anything to compare it to from experience.
    Last edited by CL & EC; 04-11-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You weren’t kidding about these Alcan springs being better quality. My goodness, they are heavy duty!
    Yep, there's a noticeable difference between these and any other springs I've bought from standard trailer suppliers.
    Long story but I had to stop after discovering the MORryde All Trek 4000 I ordered isn’t compatible. I took all the measurements, double checked with one of there reps and here we are 🤦**♂️
    That's a bummer - especially after you have everything already apart. Ugh!! I have the CRE3000 on mine and everything fits. Can you describe what isn't compatible - I'm really curious.
    I’m just wondering why mine would be the same number of leafs as yours when you have a much heavier unit? Were yours rated for 4K or higher? I’m just hoping Lew was being honest with me and that these are just some serious heavy duty springs. This is my first time doing any of this and so I don’t have anything to compare it to from experience.
    Mine are indeed rated at 4K. Just a guess, even though they have the same number of leafs, they might have different thicknesses to get the different spring rate. If you want, I'll take my calipers over to my rig and measure the thicknesses of mine so we can compare.
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Could you expand on the difficulties with your spring compatibility with the MorRyde?
    Once I put the first of my new springs on, it was apparent the equalizer would not fit. I lowered the spring, raised it as you do to try and position it but unfortunately, it’s not going to work. I thought maybe it was the new spring so I put one of my old ones back on and same thing. I must have messed up somewhere when taking the measurements when going through the qualifier MORryde provides although I did double check all my calculations and even went over each step with one of there reps before ordering. I sent them (MORryde) an email earlier and am going to follow up with a phone call in a bit to see what they say. I ordered the All Trek 4000 TG2-35 so for the 35” wheelbase. I am trying to post some pictures to show what I mean but am not seeing an option how to do so.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for expanding on the problem. It does sound like the equalizer was for the wrong axle spacing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Yep, there's a noticeable difference between these and any other springs I've bought from standard trailer suppliers.

That's a bummer - especially after you have everything already apart. Ugh!! I have the CRE3000 on mine and everything fits. Can you describe what isn't compatible - I'm really curious.

Mine are indeed rated at 4K. Just a guess, even though they have the same number of leafs, they might have different thicknesses to get the different spring rate. If you want, I'll take my calipers over to my rig and measure the thicknesses of mine so we can compare.
    Sure, that would be great! By the way, how do you post pictures? I’ve tried but can’t seem to figure it out.
    CL & EC
    2017 F-250 CC Diesel
    2018 Grand Design 311BHS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast