Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: driving apps

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

driving apps

Pulling a 30' tt with an f250. I am looking for a current driving app that will give me a safe route for turns, bridges and such. Found some old threads but was wondering what the current and best stuff is. With the way technology changes. Looking for some real world opinions.
    2016 f250 turbo diesel
    2017 GD reflection travel trailer

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planedrvr View Post
    Pulling a 30' tt with an f250. I am looking for a current driving app that will give me a safe route for turns, bridges and such. Found some old threads but was wondering what the current and best stuff is. With the way technology changes. Looking for some real world opinions.
    RV Trip Wizard. It's $50.00 a year and well worth the money.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the CoPilotAPP, it costs $30 per year. It works on either android or Apple phones.You can download maps (we downloaded North America) into the phone so it still works when you lose cellular service. It keeps us away from low bridges and Parkways. It has current traffic info. We typically also run Google maps at the same time, just to be safe. When they differ we check the route looking for a Hazzard of sorts. It isn't perfect but no gps is. Overall we are happy with it and have driven over 20,000 miles with it over the past 4 years. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 05-18-2023 at 02:08 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planedrvr View Post
    We primarily use Sygic. It's a trucker program mostly, but they also do RVs. It's around $86 for 3 years. It's worked great for us - routing us around low bridges, and narrow roads.

I also use the basic Google maps for traffic conditions. Also use Trip Wizard, but mostly just for locating campground, not so much for actual travel.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like our Garmin RV 890 GPS. Use it to preplan routes and save them to the device. If you're patient, they go on sale a few times a year for $399
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV Trip Wizard (discussed above) and a Garmin 785. The Garmin also has a built in dash-cam, campground locator, real time traffic (when bluetooth connected to phone), places of interest up ahead. Sometimes there is a conflict in directions in which case we prioritize the Garmin. Both have input for rig size and weight profiles, and route around hairpin turns, low overheads, weight restricted bridges and propane restricted routes.
    2020 Solitude 373FB-R,
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 DRW Long Bed,
    TST 570 TPMS, MORryde IS, B&W 25K Companion, Garmin RV785MT

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Garmin 2539, Route 1 Low Clearance, and Basecamp for selecting, and planning routes. I'd never rely on a GPS to take me on a trip I hadn't planned out in advance.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MccNeo View Post
    RV Trip Wizard (discussed above) and a Garmin 785. The Garmin also has a built in dash-cam, campground locator, real time traffic (when bluetooth connected to phone), places of interest up ahead. Sometimes there is a conflict in directions in which case we prioritize the Garmin. Both have input for rig size and weight profiles, and route around hairpin turns, low overheads, weight restricted bridges and propane restricted routes.
    Are you loading your routes from RV Trip Wizard into the Garmin or entering manually? I tried creating a GPX file and loading it into Garmin and couldn't get it to work. Thanks.
    Michael Dilday - Suffolk, Va.
    2024 Solitude 376RD - Body paint, 3rd A/C, slide toppers, solar upgrade, 8k axle upgrade
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Crew Dually, B&W Companion hitch
    35+ years camping

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
    Are you loading your routes from RV Trip Wizard into the Garmin or entering manually? I tried creating a GPX file and loading it into Garmin and couldn't get it to work. Thanks.

It does take some messing around to get the routes from RV Trip Wizard into the Garmin. The full instructions were on the RV Trip Wizard site. It involves downloading the GPX file then importing that file into Garmin Basecamp. It will Import as a track, you then convert the track to a route using the tools in Basecamp, then upload the route to the GPS.

An alternate method is to use RV Trip Wizard to create the route, then you can search your waypoints in Basecamp or in your GPS and build a route from them.

Neither is quick, easy, or intuitive but the end result has been worth the messing about for me.

My new truck has Apple Carplay in it and I tried using the RV Trip Wizard app to navigate a route the other day and found it to work pretty good, I can use the app and the phone screen if i want or connect it through Carplay and use the screen in the dash. I will be tying it on a longer route next month and will compare how well it works compared to the GPS.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast