User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailun Tire - Important Update

For those of you using or considering Sailun Tires, I felt that this information might come in handy and save you some aggravation down the road.

Sailun makes great trailer tires - I love mine and wouldn't have another brand. That said, their S637 (a very popular fiver tire) ONLY comes in two sizes that are suitable for trailers. I posted this in another thread that was about a guy who has had three blowouts on Sailuns. Turns out they were the wrong tires.

S637 only come in two sizes that are designed for trailer use - I suspect they have stiffer sidewalls. These two sizes are: ST235/80R16* and ST235/85R16* and those tires specify 110 PSI, so you are 15 PSI or 12% too high if you have these tires.

Other sizes of S637 are rated at anywhere from 110 psi to 130 psi max depending on size. If you have an S637 in any other size but the ones stated above, you do not have the correct tires for your rig - you should definitely get rid of those tires

To summarize, you are either running too high of a tire pressure or you have the wrong tires for a trailer. Here's the Sailun data sheet:

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 10.18.25 AM.png 
Views:	364 
Size:	984.4 KB 
ID:	14054
    I hope this solves your problems.

As stated by the manufacturer: * All steel construction specifically designed for Trailer application only. Requires special high load capacity wheel. Consult wheel manufacturer for proper application.

Bottom line - check the specs very closely before buying any tire.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to this, I contacted Lionshead, the maker of our wheels. They stated our wheels will work with the higher pressure tires but metal stems MUST be used.

Sailun used to provide a tire inflation chart. We've had some back and forth discussions about whether it is appropriate to inflate to the max pressure or run the pressure that is appropriate for the load.

In my case I run them at 100 psi cold. Over the last 4500 mi, I've seen pressures as high as 123 psi.

IMO it is imperative that one uses a TPMS when trailering to keep an eye on the pressures.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    To add to this, I contacted Lionshead, the maker of our wheels. They stated our wheels will work with the higher pressure tires but metal stems MUST be used.

Sailun used to provide a tire inflation chart. We've had some back and forth discussions about whether it is appropriate to inflate to the max pressure or run the pressure that is appropriate for the load.

In my case I run them at 100 psi cold. Over the last 4500 mi, I've seen pressures as high as 123 psi.

IMO it is imperative that one uses a TPMS when trailering to keep an eye on the pressures.
    I run 110 cold and have seen mid 120' @ 90+degrees. Absolutely no problems. I have an EEZTire TPS that does PSI and temp.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading enough posts about Sailun tires to get several headaches ..... I have not found any posts that indicates anyone has considered whether the wheels they are using with the S637T HD ST trailer tires meet the tire design preferred width of 6.50". Surely someone in all numerous posts has addressed this, but I can't find it.

The question I have is whether anyone is using 16x6.5 wheels with a 6-5.5 bolt pattern, and if they are, where did you get the rims?

I ask this because the EOM Jaguar wheels are 16x6 with 6-5.5 bolt pattern. Per several peoples discussion with LionsHead reps, the wheel will accommodate 110 lb pressure, but the 6" width means the S637T will not have a flat footprint if inflated to 110 psi max. I do realize that matching the inflation pressure to the load requirements can result in the most desired flat footprint, but doing so just runs against my many years of perceived best practices. It is my perception the Sailun S637T tire available in the USA is made like no other trailer tire, thus it has some unique capabilities. Even though an extremely knowledgeable Sailun representative has advised to match the pressure to the load in order to prevent scrubbing and cupping over long term usage, it still gives me an uneasy feeling.

I am listing to the port side with favor toward Sailun tires as a replacement to the EOM WestLakes even though I have had many years of great service from Maxxis M8008's.

I hate to ask the question just because the debate over tires can go and go and go longer than the Energizer Bunny ! Thanks in advance for info.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't read the other thread completely so it took a while to find out what this line meant:
    "These two sizes are: ST235/80R16* and ST235/85R16* and those tires specify 110 PSI, so you are 15 PSI or 12% too high if you have these tires."

Looks like it referred to the 17.5" tires with 125 PSI cold air pressure.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reality, Sailun makes 6 different "lines" of tires for trailers of which the S637 is one; however, the preferred product line for 5th wheel trailers is the S637T.
    The S637 with 17.5" wheel does have a max inflation of 125 psi.

While the S637 tire is an "all position" tire and recommended for "low platform trailers" and "tractor trailers" they are not specifically recommended for RV travel trailers nor 5th wheel trailers. Since it is not an all steel construction, I assume the S637T is more suitable for tight twists which are more prevalent with RV travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers vs 50-ft box or flatbed trailers. It is not very obvious why the S637 would not work for 5th wheel trailers other than the fact they don't make it in the popular 15" and 16" wheel size. Many brands of ST tires are not all steel construction.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...deleted post...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish someone at Sailun would take note and make a 15" tire for all us non-fivers. I've heard great things about their tires, but they do not have my size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailun Tire Inflation Table for my new Sailun ST235/80R16 tires

I recently replaced my Goodyear G614's with Sailun ST235/80R16 (using my own rims from previous trailer). The S637ST tires (including the ST235/85R16) is substantially different than my old Goodyear tires and even the Westlakes. They are a heavier tire (about 60Lbs), have a higher load rating of 4,080 Lbs, and have an all steel side wall rib construction.

The stiffer side wall should withstand the twisting forces of tandem wheels better and because they will be running well below the max weight load, they should theoretically last longer.

Because of the higher weight rating, I run them lower them my previous tires at 100PSI (see inflation table I obtained from Sailun).

Name:	Load Inflation Sailun Tires ST23580 ST23585.pdf 
Views:	243 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	14255
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased the Sailun's a year and a half ago and had it weighed last year at the ind. rally. After getting the reults from the weighing I asked the people doing the weighing what air pressure I should run on the trailer tires. I explained to him the original tires were e rated with max air pressure of 80#'s and that I now have g rated tries with max air pressure of 110#'s. His reply was always run max air pressure. After reading all the talk on the forum of running by the charts rather than max air pressure I reduced the air pressure to 90#'s. According to the charts it should have gone down to 80 or 85#'s. Checking the tires the other day they all show excessive wear on both outside edges of all the tires indicating they are underinflated. I am increasing the air pressure to max as I was told to do.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast