User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdresser View Post
    My brother has Sailuns on his fiver and thinks highly of them. Unfortunately I don't think they make a trailer tire for a 15" rim.
    They don’t I checked I would love to have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve found the Westlakes to be a great tire and have had no issues. The one tire I would never touch again would be the PowerKing Towmaxx. Absolute garbage. They were so bad, most people call them “Blowmaxx”.

Happy trailering!
    2020 GMC Denali 3500HD
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310-GK
    TST - TPMS
    B&W Companion 20k hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdresser View Post
    We have over 8,000 miles on our Westlakes and have had no problems with them. I have no plans to change them simply because they are Westlakes. I've read very few reports of people having actual problems with them. I've also seen a few reports of people having issues with the Goodyears. I do use a TPMS. Personally I think that is more important than the brand of tire.
    OK, this post saved me a bunch of writing !! I was going to add to the thread with almost the same post......even our trailer mileage is the same.

I am a big believer in a TPMS. I think many times a tire goes flat, then starts giving up parts, and people think that it blew out when it just went flat.

Someone also commented that Goodyear Marathons were not good. I ran many miles with Marathons without a problem. I also had Carlyles when they were notorious for “blowouts”, and those served me well, also.

Hmmm, it looks like I still wrote a bunch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had two blowouts while using TPMS. They do not alert to a blowout only high temp or low pressure. TPMS didn't even alarm after tires blew out. I still use TPMS (different brand) but can't rely on them for crappy tire blowouts.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrol60 View Post
    I've had two blowouts while using TPMS. They do not alert to a blowout only high temp or low pressure. TPMS didn't even alarm after tires blew out. I still use TPMS (different brand) but can't rely on them for crappy tire blowouts.
    Exactly why I didn’t invest the money in one.
    I just check tire pressure before each trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have one either. Have thought about it but I really don't like sticking things on the dash or anything else. Another thought about them is it is another distraction to take your eyes off the road when driving. Most people don't realize how far you will travel in just a few seconds. At 65 you will travel about 95 ft. So a few seconds you will have traveled nearly the length of a football field. Every time you add something to your truck (or car) that you are supposed to monitor you are increasing your chances of getting into an accident.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The eyes off the road is a serious risk we all deal with anytime we drive. It seems to get worse and worse. Most TPMS systems have alarms you set for high temp and pressure so you don't really have to visually monitor it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more data point for you. Almost 10k (miles ) on the E-rated Westlakes with our Solitude. No issues. We don't run heavy, and check the axle weights periodically. Did I stress about the tires giving out every time I drove? Yes. Will I stress about the Goodyear or Sailuns I replace them with? Likely also yes. It's just the nature of towing a trailer I guess. I will replace them this year, but not because the name, more because of the age.

We also run a TPMS. I don't personally find it distracting, but I tend to only look at it when stopped. The alarm sound it makes when there is a problem is plenty loud to get your attention (scared the bejesus out of me one time when I forgot to turn on the signal booster and it lost connection). Is it a necessary piece of equipment if you're vigilant about your tires? Arguably not. I personally prefer to use one if only just as one more source of info... Also, tech gadgets are cool.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the E or G rating on the tire sidewall?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    Is the E or G rating on the tire sidewall?
    Yes, should be. On the Westlakes we have, is specifically says "LOAD RANGE E".

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast