User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always good to be thinking about things like this, to try to identify mitigation strategies. One of the reasons that I was successful in my stint in the security industry many years ago is that I like to think like a bad guy. Not just the "steal something for myself" kind of bad guy, but the "just wants to see the world burn" bad guy. Some folks lack the capacity to think through the consequences of their actions. Those are the type that would do exactly what you are looking to defend against.

The question then becomes, what can I reasonably/practically do to prevent it? If you are willing to go all out, you could do things like removing your ladder, rigging your ladder up to fail, or placing booby traps on the roof, such as some of the tripwire devices designed to launch 12 gauge marine flares. Is that reasonable or practical? Not really.

About the best you can do is to make your trailer a more hardened target than the guy next to you. The majority of theft-type criminals are lazy. They don't want to expend much effort unless they know the reward is worth the risk. As long as they can't see anything in or on your trailer that they think they can make money off of, that's step 1. If they can't see it, they have to decide if it's worth the risk to get inside in the hope that they found the honeypot.

Eliminate the CH751 locks on your trailer and lock up all of your external compartments, propane, etc. If they are the type to try to get in quietly and carry one around (seen it in various campgrounds), that will keep them out. The step involves more noise, time, and risk than they are usually willing to take. They will look for an easier mark.

If you run into the guy that wants to do damage because all of the meth he used 30 minutes ago is telling him that the CIA agents that are following him are using your trailer, and he decides to destroy it to keep them from using it, you won't stop him unless your are physically present, physically equipped, and mentally prepared to do so.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's [email protected]. I knew someone else had thought of this scenario happening. You are also right in the fact there is only so much you can do to stop anyone from vandalism. Rooftop damage would be a real disaster if not found before a rain or snow storm. A lot of openings on the roof of a trailer.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw^2 family View Post
    @papermakermd,

Maybe you could just store your portable waste tank fastened to your ladder:

https://www.thetford.com/product/tot...-ladder-mount/

Someone would have to go through the effort of removing the tank before they would be able to climb the ladder.
    LOL. That would deter me for sure! I agree that most ppl would be looking for items to take like the propane tanks, batteries, bike/bike racks, prying open storage doors or the main door., There's nothing on the roof that I'd waste my time for if I were of criminal intent. I doubt pawn shops take in too many rv ac units or antennas.
    Last edited by RangerTX; 07-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a very secure storage but of course theft always crosses our minds it’s natural, that being said we have locks on our tanks and batteries a locked cover on our hitch and a cover on trailer. It would take them a minute to do too much damage and hopefully by then the cameras or on site security would catch them. Fingers crossed ��
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Barbed wire

Get the Kevlar gloves before trying to install. Not a joke - installed at lot of fencing in my days, but this would work well. Problem is you could not climb to the roof either - would need another ladder.

Just trying to help.

If you have power available consider electric fencing too, but that can be defeated by most gloves, and once on the ladder not effective (no ground).

Good luck in your search
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    We have a very secure storage but of course theft always crosses our minds it’s natural, that being said we have locks on our tanks and batteries a locked cover on our hitch and a cover on trailer. It would take them a minute to do too much damage and hopefully by then the cameras or on site security would catch them. Fingers crossed ��
    Same set-up as mine. A safe place and locks one all those items is about all we can do.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Store it in the basement, unused space on the basement ceiling. I have an 8’ step ladder up there, you’d scarcely notice it there. Sorry pic is upside down. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90B1E05B-B2B8-4EB2-A988-21BA452FD120.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	21269

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12