User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer on house power

My trailer is on house power right now waiting for 30 amp install can we run the lights tv and fireplace while on the house, TIA
    2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Hemi 6.4 4x4
    2019 GD Imagine 2250RK
    Companions: VinDiesel & Luna

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have on my 2670MK but I used a heavy extension cord. Might not be a good idea to leave the fireplace on when out of the trailer. Check your extension cord temperature every once in a while.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    My trailer is on house power right now waiting for 30 amp install can we run the lights tv and fireplace while on the house, TIA
    No problem, just don’t fire up the AC or microwave.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This could be dangerous. Not all extension cords are the same. Your typical orange 100’ for cord is only rated for 10 amps. That heater might be 12-15 amps. My suggestions

Pick the shortest cord that works

Make sure it’s outdoor rated/UL rated

Most cords are 16/3 guage use a 14/3 if you have one.

A 14/3 cord 50’ long is rated at full 15 amps

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer on house power

I would be very cautious of the extension cord you use. You can buy a 10 gauge extension cord from your big box stores, and that will handle the full 30 amp load. You may be able to run all of the mentioned items on the cord you currently use, but it could heat up and melt the insulation. This can, and will, cause a fire if it doesn't trip the breaker due to a short in the cord. It is always important to match the extension cord to the rated ampacity of the circuit you are connected to (i.e. 20 amp breaker gets a 20 amp cord), especially on a sustained load such as you travel trailer.
    Last edited by kevinseipp; 04-27-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH
    Pulled via 2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaWells View Post
    Yes you should be able to run lights, TV and fireplace but I would not run the heater in the fireplace.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinseipp View Post
    I would be very cautious of the extension cord you use. You can buy a 10 gauge extension cord from your big box stores, and that will handle the full 30 amp load. You may be able to run all of the mentioned items on the cord you currently use, but it could heat up and melt the insulation. This can, and will, cause a fire if it doesn't trip the breaker due to a short in the cord. It is always important to match the extension cord to the rated ampacity of the circuit you are connected to (i.e. 20 amp breaker gets a 20 amp cord), especially on a sustained load such as you travel trailer.
    So true!

I learned the hard way by almost burning down a church in Oklahoma. Let me explain: I was part of a 40 person church group on a mission trip to New Orleans after Katrina. I had borrowed a 38 foot class C motor-home to live in and transport people there. On our way we spent the night in OK at a church. It was in the middle of summer so I figured I'd plug the motor-home into the church so I could run the a/c overnight. I should have mentioned that I was very inexperienced in the world of rv's. I thought I was smart by grabbing my 100 foot orange extension cord from my garage before I left, just in case. I only needed 20 feet of cord so I left the majority of the cord on a cord reel. I ran the cord through the front door of the church right to the closest outlet behind a nice leather couch. Amazingly the a/c ran all night. The next morning I had my young son unplug the cord, windup it up and put it in the storage bin, which he did.

Fast forward to a week later when we were on our way home. We stopped back at the same church for a quick overnight stay. I figured I would plug the rv back in at the church but this time I was parked a little further away from the door. I started to unwind the orange extension cord when I found the the inner half of the cord on the reel was all melted together. I then realized what had happened and how close I was to having the cord reel short out and possibly catch the leather couch in the church on fire.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimitedmatt View Post
    So true!

I learned the hard way by almost burning down a church in Oklahoma. Let me explain: I was part of a 40 person church group on a mission trip to New Orleans after Katrina. I had borrowed a 38 foot class C motor-home to live in and transport people there. On our way we spent the night in OK at a church. It was in the middle of summer so I figured I'd plug the motor-home into the church so I could run the a/c overnight. I should have mentioned that I was very inexperienced in the world of rv's. I thought I was smart by grabbing my 100 foot orange extension cord from my garage before I left, just in case. I only needed 20 feet of cord so I left the majority of the cord on a cord reel. I ran the cord through the front door of the church right to the closest outlet behind a nice leather couch. Amazingly the a/c ran all night. The next morning I had my young son unplug the cord, windup it up and put it in the storage bin, which he did.

Fast forward to a week later when we were on our way home. We stopped back at the same church for a quick overnight stay. I figured I would plug the rv back in at the church but this time I was parked a little further away from the door. I started to unwind the orange extension cord when I found the the inner half of the cord on the reel was all melted together. I then realized what had happened and how close I was to having the cord reel short out and possibly catch the leather couch in the church on fire.
    The cord reel is a very valid point here, also. Having the cord wound up caused it to hold in all of the heat, and melt faster. When using cords they should be laid out to the full length, even if you are only using a portion of the cord. Great post!! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3170BH
    Pulled via 2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Megacab