User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TWO surge protectors; Which one would you return?

Hi all - To make a long story short, I now have TWO surge protectors (and still no trailer yet). Both were on sale however I should return one of them. Which one would you return? Both have their pros/cons as discussed in other threads.

1. Surgeguard 34950
    2. Power Watchdog PWD50-EPO-H

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	27148
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	27149
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a matter of preference, both brands are well regarded. I would choose the hardwired from my experience of having used both hardwired and portable. Hardwired is one less thing to hook up and disconnect, no need to worry about theft and it will protect you from an issue with your shore power cord.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said - it's a matter of personal preference. That and a bit of finances.

I'd return both and get a Progressive Industries product as that is my personal preference. I KNOW they stand behind their product and trust them after almost 10 years of personal experience with them. I think I'd use the EMS-PT50X for portable use of the EMS-HW50C if you want to permanently install it in the RV.

otherwise - as also previously said - I'd just choose either to return.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! The Watchdog was my first choice as it was on sale w/ another 10% off from CW. A week after I ordered it, I was notified they were out of stock and not expected for another month. Thinking my trailer was to be delivered soon I ordered the Surgeguard so I'd have something to use. I tried to cancel the order thru CW multiple times over the last couple weeks then out of the blue it shows up yesterday. Now ironically my trailer is still two weeks away from delivery. Just thought I'd toss it our there for comments while I'm staring at both. Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the hardwire unit and see if you can get the dealer to install as part of PDI....

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - To make a long story short, I now have TWO surge protectors (and still no trailer yet). Both were on sale however I should return one of them. Which one would you return? Both have their pros/cons as discussed in other threads.

1. Surgeguard 34950
    2. Power Watchdog PWD50-EPO-H
    Both are decent products, but after using a pedestal-hanger for a couple of months I installed a hard-wired HW50C, very glad for it.

I like @traveldawg's advice about returning both and getting a Progressive Industries HW50C, but if you don't want to do that then return the pedestal-hanger.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pedestal Watchdog and like it a lot, especially the Bluetooth app.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400
    2019 F150 XLT 4x4, 3.5 EcoBoost

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer having a plug in model for 2 reason. One, if it goes bad, it's easy to bypass. Two, if you have a significant surge situation, it will go bang. I prefer the bang to happen outside the trailer, not inside. One of the benefits to the hardwired was it was see if there was an open neutral issue at the trailer twist lock connection. The new Surge Guard unit will now see an open neutral condition both upstream and downstream.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the Hughes Watchdog to replace a SurgeGuard that crapped out after only 18 mo.
    I like the Bluetooth features. The SurgeGuard always took at least 3 or 4 minutes to do its job, which seemed like a long time, but was comforting too, monitoring the circuit for that period of time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I prefer having a plug in model for 2 reason. One, if it goes bad, it's easy to bypass. Two, if you have a significant surge situation, it will go bang. I prefer the bang to happen outside the trailer, not inside. One of the benefits to the hardwired was it was see if there was an open neutral issue at the trailer twist lock connection. The new Surge Guard unit will now see an open neutral condition both upstream and downstream.
    Another benefit to the external unit is that it’s easy to take along with you to your next RV if, I mean when, you decide to trade up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast