User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elevation Planning.

Recently I got a PM from a member who had seen a post about The Mountain Directory and thanked me since he saw it in one of my posts. And lately I've been planning my 2021 trip figuring my 2020 trip was probably not going to go as planned.

When planning the 2021 trip I thought I try out RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) rather than my traditional planning site. Hey, why not, we get if for free for some time period for being a member of this forum.

One of the tools I use to use for elevation and gradient information was Google Earth. But now RVTW has it too (or maybe it was there all the time and I just never tried it).

Thinking that others might want some information I thought I'd write up a comparison...

RVTW allows easy access to Elevation and Gradient (slope)...
    • First set your start and stop points;
    • The click on "Elevation" (window will open on the bottom of the map) - it's one of the red arrows in the screen shot;
    • Then click on "Gradient" - it's another red arrow in the screen shot;
    • From there you can move your cursor along the Elevation/Gradient display; a small circle will show up on the graph and on the route - the blue arrows.

That's all there is to it. Here is a screen shot...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.52.29 AM.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	27673

With Google Earth it is easy to get Elevation and Gradient information too:
    • Once you have set your start and stop points right click on the route line;
    • An "Elevation" pop-up will appear;
    • Click the "Elevation" bar pop-up and a graph will open on the bottom of the screen;
    • You can move your cursor along it and the elevation and gradient will be displayed and a red arrow will show where you are on your route.

Here is a screen shot of Google Earth...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.19.40 AM.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	27674

Both Google Earth and RVTW have their advantages:
    • Google Earth provides a wealth of information and views. I use it often by printing out a screen shot of my route and marking the grades and miles to the grade from a set point; that way on my drive-day for that segment I know wheat to expect as well as when to expect grade changes or other things I marek.
    • One nice 'trick' with RVTW is that you can set a "Custom Stop" indicating on the map the information you want. Just right click on your route and enter the information in the opt-up window that appears. Then just 'insert' into you list of stops in the order it comes up on your route.

here is a screen shot of that...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.43.48 AM.jpg 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	27672

kalaka
    Last edited by traveldawg; 06-30-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Larry, that's great info.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you export the route from RVTW to Google Maps? I have a head unit in the truck that uses Android Auto, which uses Google Maps as the navigation software.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Can you export the route from RVTW to Google Maps? I have a head unit in the truck that uses Android Auto, which uses Google Maps as the navigation software.
    I haven't figured out how to do that - yet. Maybe I'll look again tonight.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Yes, you are able to forward the route from RVTW to your GPS / Google Maps.
    On the left side where you plan your trip, the top right of the box is a "wrench", click on that icon. Then click on send to GPS and instructions will pop up. I posted a part of the instructions so you can see what it looks like.

The GPS file exports above are in two file formats. The GPX export can be loaded into Google Maps and many standalone GPS units. The GPX export will export the stops, waypoints, and route selected in RV Trip Wizard. For step by step instructions to import the GPX file to Google Maps see:
    http://docs.rvtripwizard.com/importing-to-google-maps
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just be aware that it imports all the stops, not the actual routes. So the path you follow from campground A to campground B may be very different if your dashboard unit has a different routing algorithm. Build in some specific waypoints if you want to ensure a specific route will be taken. And, at least with Garmin, it gets pretty funky trying to pre-load a long many day trip. I ended up pretty much just entering the address of the campground each day, rather than deal with Garmins attempts to show the trip I had transferred from RV Trip Wizard.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Just be aware that it imports all the stops, not the actual routes. So the path you follow from campground A to campground B may be very different if your dashboard unit has a different routing algorithm. Build in some specific waypoints if you want to ensure a specific route will be taken. And, at least with Garmin, it gets pretty funky trying to pre-load a long many day trip. I ended up pretty much just entering the address of the campground each day, rather than deal with Garmins attempts to show the trip I had transferred from RV Trip Wizard.
    This is correct.... it seems each device will plot it's own route; the RVTW route is not exported.

Mostly I just use RVTW for planning. I like that I can find campgrounds easily while plotting a trip. I like that I can make notes at each stop about things to do or sites to see. I like that I can see the dates that I would be at places along the way. But I always resort to mapping my route day-to-day once underway.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Recently I got a PM from a member who had seen a post about The Mountain Directory and thanked me since he saw it in one of my posts. And lately I've been planning my 2021 trip figuring my 2020 trip was probably not going to go as planned.

When planning the 2021 trip I thought I try out RV Trip Wizard (RVTW) rather than my traditional planning site. Hey, why not, we get if for free for some time period for being a member of this forum.

One of the tools I use to use for elevation and gradient information was Google Earth. But now RVTW has it too (or maybe it was there all the time and I just never tried it).

Thinking that others might want some information I thought I'd write up a comparison...

RVTW allows easy access to Elevation and Gradient (slope)...
    • First set your start and stop points;
    • The click on "Elevation" (window will open on the bottom of the map) - it's one of the red arrows in the screen shot;
    • Then click on "Gradient" - it's another red arrow in the screen shot;
    • From there you can move your cursor along the Elevation/Gradient display; a small circle will show up on the graph and on the route - the blue arrows.

That's all there is to it. Here is a screen shot...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.52.29 AM.png 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	27673

With Google Earth it is easy to get Elevation and Gradient information too:
    • Once you have set your start and stop points right click on the route line;
    • An "Elevation" pop-up will appear;
    • Click the "Elevation" bar pop-up and a graph will open on the bottom of the screen;
    • You can move your cursor along it and the elevation and gradient will be displayed and a red arrow will show where you are on your route.

Here is a screen shot of Google Earth...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 10.19.40 AM.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	27674

Both Google Earth and RVTW have their advantages:
    • Google Earth provides a wealth of information and views. I use it often by printing out a screen shot of my route and marking the grades and miles to the grade from a set point; that way on my drive-day for that segment I know wheat to expect as well as when to expect grade changes or other things I marek.
    • One nice 'trick' with RVTW is that you can set a "Custom Stop" indicating on the map the information you want. Just right click on your route and enter the information in the opt-up window that appears. Then just 'insert' into you list of stops in the order it comes up on your route.

here is a screen shot of that...

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 11.43.48 AM.jpg 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	27672

kalaka

Hi, new at this stuff how do I get the RVTW for free?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alabloum View Post
    Hi, new at this stuff how do I get the RVTW for free?
    @Janet H

Janet, you there? Can you get alabloum set up? Is RVTW still being offered to members?
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing all this info everyone.
    At one time I used Garmin Mapsource. You could build and transfer the route to a Garmin GPS and the route would be there like you made it. That's a thing of the past for some reason. I traveled all over the great country on a Harley with a GPS mounted on the handlebar. Not haveing to pull out the paper map on the side of the road is a good thing. Being able to go off track and then get back on track was awesome. All my trip were routed OFF the interstate whenever possible.

Using the Gradient plotting on Trip Wizard, I see I have 3 5% grades and 1 6% grades on our late Sept trip.
    Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast