User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As another poster said, unless your in a high cost registration area (like I am, it can be 1000's more a year to register a 350 than a 250 here), skip the 250 entirely. And if you're going to be towing a lot, skip anything without 6 wheels. Honestly, if you can make a dually work for your normal uses for a truck, just get one. You'll be able to tow any RV you want, and when you tow a smaller trailer with a dually, it's just wonderful how much control you have over it. A dually is great towing my 16' 7K landscape trailer and it's also great towing my 20K dump trailer. You get the benefits anytime you hook up a trailer, ask yourself "would a dually be a problem for me" and if the answer is "no" or "not really", just do that out of the gate, get a better towing experience and be ready for anything you may want in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said go big if you can. I started with a Tundra and a 27 ft TT. Talked the wife into a bigger camper and purchased an F250 to pull the 5'ver. Not knowing at the time of purchase what I know now, I was overweight . Just upgraded again to an F350. Wish I had this group to seek advice from before I bought the F250.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what the difference in price is between the 2500HD and the 3500HD but if I had a choice, I'd use the price difference to buy a diesel 2500HD. I own a Chevy 2500HD Duramax and I tow a 320MKS (16,000 lb) easily. I can pass people going up mountains. That Allison transmission is just something else. It always has a gear available. I set the cruise and it engine brakes with a Jake Brake automatically as needed going down hill. I barely have to touch the brakes. It's just absolutely a joy to tow with. And it's quiet and doesn't smell like Diesel. What else could you ask for? Anyway, I know we all have our brand preferences. I've never towed with a Ford or a Dodge so I don't know if the experience is similar but I LOVE my truck. I'll probably never sell it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdwaver View Post
    I don't know what the difference in price is between the 2500HD and the 3500HD but if I had a choice, I'd use the price difference to buy a diesel 2500HD. I own a Chevy 2500HD Duramax and I tow a 320MKS (16,000 lb) easily. I can pass people going up mountains. That Allison transmission is just something else. It always has a gear available. I set the cruise and it engine brakes with a Jake Brake automatically as needed going down hill. I barely have to touch the brakes. It's just absolutely a joy to tow with. And it's quiet and doesn't smell like Diesel. What else could you ask for? Anyway, I know we all have our brand preferences. I've never towed with a Ford or a Dodge so I don't know if the experience is similar but I LOVE my truck. I'll probably never sell it.
    The price difference is just a few hundred dollars. Not even close to the price of a diesel...... And a diesel adds so much weight that a 2500 typically has its payload reduced close to that of a capable 1/2 ton.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear end ratio makes huge difference in towing; go with 4.10.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the auto manufacturers have raised prices consistently over the years, and 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks are now priced out of sight.

I was shopping for a new truck 2 mos. ago and ended up with a F150 with the 2.7 Ecoboost. It's certainly more car like and driving my F250 tow vehicle is like a log wagon in comparison. I towed my 24' tritoon boat yesterday, and found the rear suspension a little bouncy.

My dealer did have a F250 XLT with the 7.3 Godzilla engine for $45K. I thought it was a good value.

I've noticed that 3/4 ton-1 ton trucks on dealer lots are either too nice (and expensive) or they're stripped down commercial use trucks. I would want a truck in the middle. Right now, it's a 12 week turnaround time for Ford SuperDuties. If you have time to wait, I suggest you special order a truck that exactly fits your uses. Your RV will weigh about 9000 lbs. after loaded, so your decision to stay with a gas engine is okay.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsickler View Post
    Ok getting ready to pull the trigger on one of the following 2 trucks. Pulling a 260 RD, just the wife, a small dog and I.

GMC Sierra 2500 SLT
    6.6L V8 Direct Injection with Variable Valve Timing Gas engine
    3.73 rear axle ratio
    10,650 lbs. GVWR
    Integrated trailer brake controller
    Integrated with the antilock brake system (ABS)
    ProGrade Trailering System
    Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
    Trailering wiring provisions for camper, 5th wheel and gooseneck trailer

Ram 2500 Laramie
    6.4L Heavy Duty V8 HEMI® with MDS
    8-Speed Automatic 8HP75-LCV Transmission
    GVWR Packages: GVW Rating - 10,000 Pounds
    3.73 Axle Ratio
    Towing Technology Group
    Blind-Spot w/Tag Trailer & Cross-Path Detection
    Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Should I look at a the 4.10 rear end or is the 3.73 fine? I do live in Denver, CO and for vacation we mostly head west over the mountains.

They are pretty similar, I like the Ram maybe a bit more styling wise but that shifting dial is killing it for me. First and foremost let me know if I am missing anything. I had posted earlier on the GMC and most people thought it was totally appropriate for a 260RD.

On a side note, my wife and I were out shopping for trucks yesterday and 4 of the 5 GMC/Chevrolet dealers we went to had zero heavy duty trucks on the lot.
    Did you get something yet? What did you decide?

fwiw - I've pulled all over in the western mountains with gas and diesel. There is no substitute for a diesel. I don't care what brand - they all will get the job done, I chose based on 'creature comforts', features/accessories and overall feel of the truck. And I would never again get a 3/4 ton instead of a 1 ton - costly lesson to learn the hard (and expensive) way.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure i have decided on the Chevy Silverado 2500 with the Gas 6.6. Basically the same truck as the GMC but with the options I want it works out a couple thousand cheaper. A few weekends in the summer camping and a longer trip now and then I cant justify the diesel. Now I just have to sell this to pay for it:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4498339550440/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ‘19 Ram Laramie, my brother has a ‘20 GMC SLT. The Ram has a nicer interior by far.
    Jay VT

2019 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins
    2020 Imagine 2670MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram has a nicer interior, GMC has a nicer transmission and is a quieter overall package. Either way I would buy a 1 ton instead of a 2500. I bought a 2500 and while it does what I need today, I will be buying a 3500 once they are available again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast