User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Westlake tires?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I believe they are if they are mounted on too heavy of a trailer like a Solitude or Momentum. On the lighter trailers they should be fine. I have no data to back up anything that I have printed but based my beliefs from reading reports from others here on the forum and our own personal experience. We had the E-rated Westlakes and ran them for 3years and many miles. We have a Reflection 303. I do have to say after 3 years of running on them we did have a separation on one of them. We didn't have it inspected as it was out of warranty. The damage could have been a bad tire or it could have been caused by some kind of impact during our travels. With everything being said when we replaced them we did go to the Sailun's. Part of that decision was they have a higher speed rating our Westlake were E-rated and only rated for 65mph. The G-rated Westlakes have been in use for a little while now by GD and we are not hearing of people having problems with them. At the Ind. rally Lionshead had the G-rated Westlake on display net to the Goodyear Marathon. I could not tell any difference between them. Same specs with # of belts. Even the weight of them was the same.
    We own a Transcend 26RLS with E rated Westlake ST225/75R15 and I run them at 80 lbs. Our trailer GVWR is 8495 lbs (worst case) and our tongue wt is 900 lb, so 8495 - 900 = 7595 lbs and 7595/4 = 1,899 lbs per tire. On the tires it says that the max load is 2470 lbs when inflated to 80 psi. So we should okay? At the very least we're planning to purchase a TPMS just to be safe.

I was shocked when I noticed a while ago that our trailer tires aren't balanced. So I did some research and learned that trailer tires aren't normally balanced. Why is that? I'm guessing that the trailer manufacturers don't want to pay for it. Wouldn't it be better for the tires overall not to mention the trailer, not to have the tires bouncing around when moving? I would have to think that would help improve the tire life by reduce cupping (wear), tire separations and blowouts. No???
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 07-19-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We own a Transcend 26RLS with E rated Westlake ST225/75R15 and I run them at 80 lbs. Our trailer GVWR is 8495 lbs (worst case) and our tongue wt is 900 lb, so 8495 - 900 = 7595 lbs and 7595/4 = 1,899 lbs per tire. On the tires it says that the max load is 2470 lbs when inflated to 80 psi. So we should okay? At the very least we're planning to purchase a TPMS just to be safe.

I was shocked when I noticed a while ago that our trailer tires aren't balanced. So I did some research and learned that trailer tires aren't normally balanced. Why is that? I'm guessing that the trailer manufacturers don't want to pay for it. Wouldn't it be better for the tires overall not to mention the trailer, not to have the tires bouncing around when moving? I would have to think that would help improve the tire life by reduce cupping (wear), tire separations and blowouts. No???

Yes, on all counts.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiefblueman.....You are a man of few words!

I'm going to use Centramtic wheel balancers on the trailer and maybe even the truck.

Thanks again!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Chiefblueman.....You are a man of few words!

I'm going to use Centramtic wheel balancers on the trailer and maybe even the truck.

Thanks again!
    Fingers fat, keyboard small, type slow I do!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments. I truly appreciate it.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Balancing

Use to own a 3000 lb pop up trailer. First few trips loose screws, broken cookies, crumbled
    Crackers and sparks coming from the toaster ( shorted heat filaments ). Turned out the tires
    Were way out of balance and I assume they were shaking the trailer. Had them balanced, no
    More broken chocolate chip cookies. I hate that !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calnca View Post
    We purchased our Momentum 376th in November 2018. Since then we have put on 8,538 miles on the Westlakes.....including running across AZ/CA desert in 115 degree temps. I run a TPMS that includes temp so I can monitor both.

Knock on wood, we have not had any tire related issues, but I'm a bit anal when it comes to making sure pressures are where they are supposed to be. So far no wear issues.....but have to tell you watching the back tire (third axle) lean when making a 90 degree backing movement is alarming.
    E or G rated tires?
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G Rated tires
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory 235x80x16 G rated 14 ply Westlakes have been holding up well on our '18 377MBS Solitude. I keep them aired to 105 psi and they've been doing great. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck and camper 002.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	21648

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in a park with another reflection 29 RS that had a blowout on this trip

If you have load e west lakes on a 29 RS replace them before you get damage

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast