User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    Agree with almost everything. My only difference was that “Out-the-door” was inclusive of everything. That is the price that I will be paying, so I wanted to see everything, including taxes, license fees, everything. Did this for both the truck and the trailer. When I got to the signing point for the trailer, the price was $500 more than what had been agreed to. I don’t remember where the discrepancy was, but I stuck to my guns, and they re-wrote it so that it was the agreed to “Out-the-door” price. When you negotiate with that price, they can’t add anything else at the end.
    I'd do that too if the dealer was in-state. When buying out-of-state, the dealer doesn't collect my state's taxes. I have to settle up with my DMV to get in-state temp tags as the out-of-state temp tags aren't recognized a week after I get home.

When the dealer did try to add on a documentation fee, I made them net it out of the purchase price so the out-the-door price didn't change. That's probably what your dealer tried to do too. Next time I buy from a dealer, I'm going to have a copy of the sales contract with their signatures before I leave home.
    Last edited by Luv2Ski; 07-23-2019 at 02:33 AM.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Update: negotiations were done without having the down deposit and final price was good enough for us to buy “locally”. Next week is when we scheduled the PDI and final signing of paper.
    Last edited by Denisf; 07-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    I'd be walking out of the dealership with that request.

We found the best way to get a lower price was to do an internet search and requests quotes for the lowest price they are willing to take. Then, if you find a price that works, taking that quote to the nearest dealer and asking them to match it. Worked for us. We got about 23% off MSRP that way.

If they don't match it, be sure you're willing to actually go to the dealership that did give you the best offer. We were, but we didn't have to.
    That's exactly what worked for us near Houston, Tx. We got several quotes from dealers in writing near the build plants of the 5r we wanted. Finally took it into our dealer and they matched it to within $400 after negotiating with DW. Part of the reason they came down $9 grand from their starting price was at the end of October in 2017, they had not made their Keystone quota yet. We signed the papers on Oct. 31.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCZhome View Post
    You can click on this link and see the MSRP and the dealer's invoice for all the Imagine models....start from the invoice and work up, not the MSRP and work down! https://seedealercost.com/recreation...vel%20Trailers
    Wow, awesome site. I'm about to buy my fourth travel trailer and I never knew this existed.

The site doesn't include the several costly "required options," but just knowing the differential in the base price is still very helpful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feeling that “not many GD dealers In AB” struggle. We walked away from a large, well known dealership based on customer service. Happy to have purchased a used unit another dealer took on trade in, knowing the dealership we dealt with will be there if needed. You have to feel comfortable with the people taking your business...trust is a thing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was toldby 2 dealers that they would not give me an out the door price unless I would give a deposit up front. I walked out on both of them, the next 2 dealers gave me that price without the deposit, so then it was time to hagle over interest and trade in. the one guy had low interest and a higher trade in so I went with him. I never deal with anyone not willing to give me a price.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite line is do you know who is worse than a car salesman? A RV salesman! They all play games to get a bigger commission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denisf View Post
    Presently in the early stage of negotiation for a 2020 imagine. I told the sales person that I was willing to seal the deal if they come down $3000 from their advertised price. He is now asking for a “refundable” $1000 deposit before he asks the sale manager to consider my offer. I have to say that I’m disappointed with this practice and strongly considering walking away from these guys. What’s your take on this ?
    Please consider a different approach to this kind of purchase. Shop it around. Know exactly what model and options you want. Ask several dealers to email you a quote listing all options and their best price. Distance should not matter to you at this point as the warranty work can be done anywhere.

Once the quotes are all in go back to each one of them and tell them to beat the lowest price with the options you want.

Once you are convinced you have the lowest quote no matter the location then ask your local dealer to beat it. Most likely they will and if they don’t then travel to get it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
    Wow, awesome site. I'm about to buy my fourth travel trailer and I never knew this existed.

The site doesn't include the several costly "required options," but just knowing the differential in the base price is still very helpful!
    Are you sure? It did when we used it in 2016.

Here's the math for options in 2016 and is probably the same today: Take the MSRP for the particular GD provided option, multiply it by 0.7092 and you'll be within pennies of the invoice price on that option.

From my notes:
    Margin as % of MSRP: 29.08%
    Markup as % of Dlr Cost: 41.01%
    Last edited by Luv2Ski; 08-06-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Ski View Post
    Are you sure? It did when we used it in 2016.

Here's the math for options in 2016 and is probably the same today: Take the MSRP for the particular GD provided option, multiply it by 0.7092 and you'll be within pennies of the invoice price on that option.

From my notes:
    Margin as % of MSRP: 29.08%
    Markup as % of Dlr Cost: 41.01%
    It ended up being an issue on my side. I have an adblocker installed in FireFox, and that somehow didn't let me get past the model selection page. When I tried Chrome, it worked perfectly and I saw all the options!

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for sharing your notes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast