User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWood View Post
    In Texas, many of the U-Haul places sell propane... here is what they say on the matter... https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/...l-Vs-Exchange/ .
    +1 for U-Haul pay at the pump. Very easy and convenient, and actually refills. The only time I’d ever do an exchange is if my tank is expired (12 years from manu) because they do check that
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2021 Ram 2500 Laramie - 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel

BattleBorn LiFePO4 - Renogy/Victron Solar - SumoSprings - SeeLevel II

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    To be fair, exchanges are a good place to off load tanks past the ten year mark. Worth the 5LBS to get a newer one.
    I learned if you take an expired tank to a commercial propane outlet such as Amerigas or a privately owned enterprise like I have locally they will do an exchange with a full tank that has been certified for 5 years at the cost of the propane only. This is dependent on condition as they take the tanks and re-certify them to be circulated again.
    A caution about using an exchange such as Blue Rhino is they don't seem to be as vigilant in examining their tanks. Last year I exchanged a tank because I had a coupon and in exchange got a tank that was painted in an amateurish way. For several months I kept smelling propane and thought it was my fifth wheel leaking which I checked over numerous times. It ending being my gas grill about 10 feet away. Although I do it as a matter of course after using the grill unless I cranked really tight on the shut off valve it would leak past the valve packing. I lost a half season on that tank and honestly I outsmarted myself because of it.
    https://www.comparepropane.com/tank-recertification/
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-10-2021 at 05:47 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I learned if you take an expired tank to a commercial propane outlet such as Amerigas or a privately owned enterprise like I have locally they will do an exchange with a full tank that has been certified for 5 years at the cost of the propane only. This is dependent on condition as they take the tanks and re-certify them to be circulated again.
    A caution about using an exchange such as Blue Rhino is they don't seem to be as vigilant in examining their tanks. Last year I exchanged a tank because I had a coupon and in exchange got a tank that was painted in an amateurish way. For several months I kept smelling propane and thought it was my fifth wheel leaking which I checked over numerous times. It ending being my gas grill about 10 feet away. Although I do it as a matter of course after using the grill unless I cranked really tight on the shut off valve it would leak past the valve packing. I lost a half season on that tank and honestly I outsmarted myself because of it.
    https://www.comparepropane.com/tank-recertification/
    It's really not that hard to get a tank re-certified.

It is also not too expensive to simply buy a new tank, I like knowing that I have two brand new tanks on my coach. I don't like not knowing how much the tank has been abused before I picked it up from the Exchange bin.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It is not Expansion that is keeping them from being filled, it is simply GREED !!!!

A 20lb tank is designed to hold 20 lbs of Propane.

Any expansion requirement is calculated in the design of the tank.

You are simply getting 20% less Propane for the price when you choose to exchange your tanks.

Greed is alive and well !!!
    I worked doing home delivery of propane at one time and they were all about making money. We did not fill the cylinders to 100% of capacity to allow for the changes in temperature which would lead to expansion. Also with propane, which is a liquid in your cylinder, it is not burned as a liquid but as a gas. By allowing extra "room" in the cylinder is allows a certain amount of gas when full.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costco..... filled 2 5lb empty tanks.... $16. Blu Rhino swap at Lowes... $19.95
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234