User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    All the bridges in MD give me the creeps - the one 95 crossing the Susquehanna, 301 over the Potomac, 50 from Annapolis. 301 used to be one lane each way and it is so high I couldn't see the road over the hood of the truck as we reached the top. 50 used to be 3 lanes with middle lane open in one direction depending upon rush hour commute. No barriers between either of them and a lot of truck traffic.
    Again, I feel ya. I'm a pilot but also have acrophobia - doesn't bother me in an aircraft but I don't tolerate high bridges, drop-offs on mountain roads, the rails at the edge of the Grand Canyon, etc. I've planned a number of routes and activities differently in order to avoid these situations.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Again, I feel ya. I'm a pilot but also have acrophobia - doesn't bother me in an aircraft but I don't tolerate high bridges, drop-offs on mountain roads, the rails at the edge of the Grand Canyon, etc. I've planned a number of routes and activities differently in order to avoid these situations.

Rob
    That's the darndest thing. Same here. Forget elevators in a high rise, ladders, or looking over the edge -don't even watch on TV but I love to fly. Why I watched all the YT videos I could on traveling to GNP and YNP and deciding on which route I would take.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    A couple of years ago I went over the Bridge to Wesley Island (St Lawrence seaway) in NY. One lane each way, and they want heavier vehicles about 200 feet apart if I remember correctly. My brother in law told me I would not like the bridge... I didn't. I really don't like heights either.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    A couple of years ago I went over the Bridge to Wesley Island (St Lawrence seaway) in NY. One lane each way, and they want heavier vehicles about 200 feet apart if I remember correctly. My brother in law told me I would not like the bridge... I didn't. I really don't like heights either.
    High bridges with guard rails I can take..... been through the Brenner Pass from Austria to Itally many times accross the Europabrücke bridge. Its when you can look over the edge of a roadway that has missing guard rails (where a truck or car carcass lies at the bottom.....) that freaks me out a little!

That and landing on a plane in Aviano AFB Itally at the foot of the Dolomites, and the AF pilot (and hes not John Glenn) tells you to hold on due to a steep decent made me a little nervous too.. not to mention the wind sheers near those Alps!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you ever get the opportunity (assuming it re-opens) to take the Cairo Mississippi River Bridge between MO and IL followed by the Cairo Ohio River Bridge between IL and KY- DON'T. Had to fold my mirrors in on the first one. They closed it for safety reasons about two weeks after Garmin sent me that way. Heavy truck traffic both directions.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw an email from RV Life that details all aspects related to traveling the area of the bridge collapse for those needing to get around it will larger rigs, propane, etc. I'm not familiar with the area but first time I have received this kind of notice and it seems like it would be very helpful. As follows...

Hello From RV LIFE,

We're reaching out with an important update that may affect your travel plans. On March 26, 2024, a significant event occurred - the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge on I-695 in Maryland. This incident may impact your upcoming travel, especially if your route includes this area.

For those of you in the midst of planning your travels or considering routes through Maryland, we urge you to review your itinerary. It's crucial to ensure that your planned path does not include travel along this compromised route.

We understand that many of our members, particularly those traveling with onboard propane, already navigate with caution around this bridge. For travelers who have the “Carrying Propane” setting disabled in their Trip Settings, it's now more important than ever to seek an alternative route to ensure your safety and the smooth continuation of your journey.

Alternative Routes May Also Have Restrictions
    You cannot travel with propane through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895) or the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95). You can take I-695 around the west side of Baltimore (no major bridge crossings). Vehicles with a maximum height of 13' 6" may also take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, as long as propane valves are turned off. This route is east of Baltimore via the Maryland Eastern Shore and US 301. If you have the Francis Scott Key Bridge on your current trip and are using the RV LIFE GPS mobile app for live navigation, you may need to force a recalculation of your route by making a small edit to your trip.

Your Safety is Our Priority
    At RV LIFE, your safety and the enjoyment of your RV adventures are our top priorities. We're here to assist you in navigating these unexpected changes and to support you in finding the best alternative routes for your travels. Our team is diligently working to update our systems and maps to reflect this change and to provide you with the most current and reliable information.

Should you have any questions or need assistance in rerouting your trip, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected].

Thank you for being a valued member of the RV LIFE community. We're grateful for your understanding and cooperation as we all adjust to this unforeseen event. Let's continue to journey with confidence, embracing the adventures that lie ahead.

Safe travels,
    The RV LIFE Team
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Well if you ever get the opportunity (assuming it re-opens) to take the Cairo Mississippi River Bridge between MO and IL followed by the Cairo Ohio River Bridge between IL and KY- DON'T. Had to fold my mirrors in on the first one. They closed it for safety reasons about two weeks after Garmin sent me that way. Heavy truck traffic both directions.

Been on one in Luisianna MO on 54hwy! Used to head out to Pike County IL (Pittsville) to jeep. Believe it or not, it was alot worse 10 years ago with the old low (often flooded) narrow structure. Did not want to break down on that one for sure!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. Laura and I were trying to remember when the one time we towed across the Key bridge was and we think it was our first trip to APG (north of Baltimore on 95) in 2015. I didn't like the height of the bridge nor the narrowness of the lanes with semis a few inches from my left side. I vowed then and there we wouldn't do that while towing again and used western 695 ever since - only adds about 20 minutes.

Rob
    Yes it is narrow. I knocked off my right side mirror on my first motor home going through the toll booth.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Do they normally send container ships that tall under that bridge? I know its a port... but WOW! And dont they use a Harbor Master to get them big boys in/out? Crap happens for sure... but man.
    Yep two Harbor pilots were on board. Lost power
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12