User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Bedroom Schwintek Slide

It's been awhile since I've posted on this forum. I have been traveling Full Time in my Reflection 293RES for over seven years. It has been a great experience with few problems, but at times major ones. I might add that even now I feel Grand Design has been there for me and continues too. If I were to trade in for a new one it would be a Grand Design.

My current issue is my Bedroom Schwintek slide. The bottom of the slide is made of a wood composite with some type of weatherproof coating on it. Over the years one of the steel room rollers has damaged the bottom and it's starting to break up. Because of that pieces of wood chip off and get in the roller causing huge vibration and the room actually jumps a bit.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a "fix"?

Thanks,
    Gary

Attachment is a photo of the underside damage of the slide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shcwintek Slide Bottom Damage.jpg  
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana
    2014 Grand Designs Reflection 293RES #0477
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first thing I would do is to Bondo patch the wood decking smooth.
    It dries super fast and can be sanded smooth thereafter.
    Secondly, to address the wear in those roller areas I might glue strips of Formica laminate in the track areas or cover the entire bottom (depending on your skill set) and how easily the original covering comes off.
    You'd want to bond to bare wood.

You will use contact cement and previous experience is helpful, but is entirely doable.
    Trick is to accurately dry fit the mica to size and when gluing in place , provide a sheet of cardboard between both glue areas to properly align the laminate to slide bottom deck BEFORE making contact.
    It's high pressure material and should outlast the floor.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    Well, the first thing I would do is to Bondo patch the wood decking smooth.
    It dries super fast and can be sanded smooth thereafter.
    Secondly, to address the wear in those roller areas I might glue strips of Formica laminate in the track areas or cover the entire bottom (depending on your skill set) and how easily the original covering comes off.
    You'd want to bond to bare wood.

You will use contact cement and previous experience is helpful, but is entirely doable.
    Trick is to accurately dry fit the mica to size and when gluing in place , provide a sheet of cardboard between both glue areas to properly align the laminate to slide bottom deck BEFORE making contact.
    It's high pressure material and should outlast the floor.

Thanks for the quick response "Da Breeze" I'm not very knowledgable in this area and have done zero work with Bondo. Do you know any who have had this problem and used this process? I was wondering how it would hold up with so much weight and pressure on it.

I am stopping by the RV Dealer where I bought my unit on Monday, I just happen to be in SoCal visiting. I am attempting to gain as much knowledge as possible before I or anyone else does any work. I'm 74 this year and hoping this unit will last my remaining vagabond days

Thanks again,
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a good relationship with GD, get on the horn with CS and arrange repairs at the Factory Service Center that fit your travels. Need to pop the slide box out and re-floor it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you have a good relationship with GD, get on the horn with CS and arrange repairs at the Factory Service Center that fit your travels. Need to pop the slide box out and re-floor it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Hoping not to do that because of the cost, but it's probably the right way to fix it permanently.

I just reached out to Peter K, whom I've worked with a number of times over the years. I'm hoping to get a response early next week.

Thanks again for the response,
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gary,
    After careful second look, it appears you may have water stains on that floor !
    The FIRST THING you need to do is check the back if your slide INSIDE to check for any water intrusion.
    Also check window seals etc for breaches.
    My suggestion was designed as a quick fix. The factory has a back -up lead time of many months and IMO would cost quite a bit more than I imagine you'd want to spend.
    I've been cabinetmaker/carpenter for 40 years so am familiar wt laminates and their application.
    IT WILL hold up under pressure of rolling the weight. of your slide as is cheap.
    Any good woodworker can apply laminate up to the floor under slide rollers.

Another route cost more but will last even longer.
    Someone on this site had
    installed very thin six inch wide SS plates where the rollers run to mitigate the stresses on the wood floor.

Given the age of your coach and yourself [emoji4] , I considered the laminate a cheap fix that should last for a long time.
    The dealer you'll see will likely opt to do as I've recommended.
    Be sure to keep us informed for other's needs.

Good Luck
    Michael

Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Breeze View Post
    Hey Gary,
    After careful second look, it appears you may have water stains on that floor !
    The FIRST THING you need to do is check the back if your slide INSIDE to check for any water intrusion.
    Also check window seals etc for breaches.
    My suggestion was designed as a quick fix. The factory has a back -up lead time of many months and IMO would cost quite a bit more than I imagine you'd want to spend.
    I've been cabinetmaker/carpenter for 40 years so am familiar wt laminates and their application.
    IT WILL hold up under pressure of rolling the weight. of your slide as is cheap.
    Any good woodworker can apply laminate up to the floor under slide rollers.

Another route cost more but will last even longer.
    Someone on this site had
    installed very thin six inch wide SS plates where the rollers run to mitigate the stresses on the wood floor.

Given the age of your coach and yourself [emoji4] , I considered the laminate a cheap fix that should last for a long time.
    The dealer you'll see will likely opt to do as I've recommended.
    Be sure to keep us informed for other's needs.

Good Luck
    Michael

Thanks, I will keep you updated. I had numerous posts and answered posts years ago that have all disappeared.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure your rollers are working. If they are stuck fold some sand paper and put it in front of the rollers then move the slide in and out a few inches to break them free. Might need to do it more than once to free them up.
    Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk73400 View Post
    Make sure your rollers are working. If they are stuck fold some sand paper and put it in front of the rollers then move the slide in and out a few inches to break them free. Might need to do it more than once to free them up.
    Good luck.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks SK73400, That was my initial thought. I can see water stains over the years, but not any "wet or soft" areas. I had a mobile tech look at is last month and he said the steel roller was moving ok. He didn't have manpower or equipment to do any major slide repairs. I think I'm just going to figure out how to get it worked on in an RV Service Center, just rough because it's my primary home when I'm on the road.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredVagabond View Post
    It's been awhile since I've posted on this forum. I have been traveling Full Time in my Reflection 293RES for over seven years. It has been a great experience with few problems, but at times major ones. I might add that even now I feel Grand Design has been there for me and continues too. If I were to trade in for a new one it would be a Grand Design.

My current issue is my Bedroom Schwintek slide. The bottom of the slide is made of a wood composite with some type of weatherproof coating on it. Over the years one of the steel room rollers has damaged the bottom and it's starting to break up. Because of that pieces of wood chip off and get in the roller causing huge vibration and the room actually jumps a bit.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a "fix"?

Thanks,
    Gary

Attachment is a photo of the underside damage of the slide.
    Gary - good to hear from you again. It has been a while. Great to hear you have been happy with your 293 and with GDRV. As one of the early GDRV Reflection owners and posters on the forum, your 8 years of experiences are have some teeth to them.

As Michael, shared, the apparent water intrusion gets my attention too. I would be curios as to what the inside of your BR slide closet/dresser design looks like particularly in the corners and lower back side. In addition to possible exterior water intrusion, I suppose you have camped in freezing conditions too where the inside of the slide has had frost buildup and thawing resulting in water on the wood and possible damage from the inside out.

As Michael also shared, I too have seen videos/pictures of folks who have repaired the bottom of a slide by installing a SS plate(s) over the rollers mounted on the wall. I suppose they cleaned, removed the "fabric", resealed, and repaired as necessary too. Dealerships with more involved service areas do hyper-extend or remove slides to repair as needed. Hopefully your GDRV contact can steer you to one of these and get it repaired correctly. Maybe one of the factory service techs can be at one of these dealerships to help with the process.

Keep us posted.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast