User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to Upgrade

DFW Steve

Time to Upgrade

Hello Everyone!

My camping quest has progressed to where I am now looking at 5th wheels and motorhomes. Past ownership included a pop-up camper and a TT. I've pretty much ruled out motorhomes but I'm very impressed with the Grand Design Reflection line of 5th wheels...particulary 303RLS. Everything I'm reading tells me this is the 5-er for me. Going to look at a model this weekend. Excited to be a part of this forum...have found brand forums to be THE source for the best info!

Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. Lots of 303RLS owners here should you have specific questions.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve - Welcome to the forum! I think you'll really appreciate the 303 Reflection FW. Grand Design has put a ton of thought into the layout, features and ammentities of their products. If you buy, you'll likely have a few quality issues as you would with any other towable rig. But the customer service from Grand Design and their dealer network is top notch. That is what sets them apart from previous FWs and TTs that I've owned.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like the 303 before setting foot in one, you'll be an owner within the first 2 mins of being inside.
    We've been extremely happy with our 303

Marcy
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! We have owned our 303 since January and put over 8000 miles on the trailer. As Tusconjim said there where some issues, all things that I was able to take care of myself due to the GREAT customer support from Grand Design. In our last 4 trips, in excess of 1500 miles and 22 nites we have had one issue (shower leak) this was quickly taken care of. Our trailer has n vet been to any dealer and I hope to keep it that way. As far as the layout we love it, I call it simple elegance. We have a 146 pound water dog and the flooring looks as good as the day we picked up the trailer. We also have plenty of room, even with a large animal. I tow this trailer with a 6.0l chevy 3500. We have been at 7500 foot altitude, Truckee, Ca. Yea it was slower than the Duromax but $8000 less. I would highly recommend this company and the model you're looking at. Good luck and safe travels.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

DFW Steve

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcomes and feedback! I've got my eye on a 2015 Ram 2500 with the new larger Hemi. Any thoughts on that as a TV? I'm assuming with the proper hitch there is no issue with the shorter truck beds.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DFW Steve View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes and feedback! I've got my eye on a 2015 Ram 2500 with the new larger Hemi. Any thoughts on that as a TV? I'm assuming with the proper hitch there is no issue with the shorter truck beds.
    Looking at the 2014 Trailer Life Towing Guide (2015 is probably the same), the optional 4.10 rear ratio has a 3000# higher tow rating than one with the standard 3.73 ratio...a better choice if towing anywhere other than flatlands. There will be a small penalty in non-towing fuel mileage though...expect the towing mileage will be very similar. The diesel would be even better particularly in fuel mileage and power but the extra $10K buys lots of gas.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

DFW Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    Looking at the 2014 Trailer Life Towing Guide (2015 is probably the same), the optional 4.10 rear ratio has a 3000# higher tow rating than one with the standard 3.73 ratio...a better choice if towing anywhere other than flatlands. There will be a small penalty in non-towing fuel mileage though...expect the towing mileage will be very similar. The diesel would be even better particularly in fuel mileage and power but the extra $10K buys lots of gas.

Dave
    Oh yeah the 4.10 is a must, should've said that. I will probably custom order to get exactly what I want.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 303 and love it. Tow vehicle is 2013 Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel. Love it too. We have mountain passes in all directions from our home so the power of this truck is appreciated. I have not towed with a gas engine truck so can't speak directly to that experience, but I have had two diesel Rams and have had great performance from both. When we decided to purchase a new truck last year, I seriously considered the Hemi but just couldn't find enough reasons other than fuel cost to justify it. Yes, it hurts when we fill it up but to *me* the extra cost of diesel fuel is balanced by the ease with which the truck pulls over the passes. Again, no direct experience with a gas engine but my informal survey of friends and others with knowledge and experience indicated that diesel was the way to go for my purposes. Plus I had been towing with a diesel for 8 years so I was already biased. I tried to keep my mind open to the gas engine anyway because I was hoping to cut fuel cost and retain the same performance of the diesel. If you use the truck a lot as a daily commuter, a gas engine may be a better way to go. You will of course get many opinions on the subject of tow vehicles and you will see a wide variety of combinations on this forum alone. Everyone has their own preferences so you will have to weigh the pros and cons based on your specific needs, wants and desires. Among the the big three tow vehicle manufacturers (Ram, Chevy & Ford) you will certainly find a great truck. Happy shopping!
    Joel & Amber
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2013 Ram 3500 Diesel SRW, 4X4 Tradesman

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In 2013, I traded in a 2004 Chevy 2500HD with 6.0L gas engine. At the time, I was towing a 12,000# FW. On an 8% grade at 7000 feet, my max speed was 32 mph. I traded the Chevy for a Ford F350 6.7L diesel short bed pick up. On the same grade, I maintained 60mph, and still had some throttle left. My MPG with the gas powered Chevy was 8.5. With the diesel powered Ford, I averaged 11.3 over 8,500 miles this summer and the Reflection was about 1,100 pouds heavier.

If you don't have steep grades and mountain elevations to pull with your planned trip, you'll be fine with a gas powered 2500/F250 truck with the 303. If you want the extra torque and HP, go with the diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast