User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocking/Rolling and other questions......

We’re on our 3rd trip out with our new 312BHTS. 2 weeks this time. Have a couple of questions:
    1). Our trailer is level, we have the wheels chocked on one side of the trailer (one chock pointing towards the front axle and one pointing towards the rear axle) and our jack stands are extended direct to the ground (when they were extended they hit pavement very close to the same time so no real torque there).
    We still do not feel very stable. Whenever someone walks across the floor you can feel the trailer rocking and moving. It’s so bad that our daughter who is traveling with us the first few days almost gets motion sickness. Gets queasy! Am I missing something? We’ve had a couple of Airstreams and have never felt the motion this bad.

2). What to do with towels? Where are folks hanging their towels to dry? What are you using to hang dry for another use?

3) is there a filter or something that we’re supposed to clean for the main air vents (where the air “dump” is? It looks dusty on the grills.....

Thanks for any help offered!

Mark

PS: we love our layout and having no major issues with any systems!
    Mark & Diana
    2019 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo w/Aisin Transmission DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Previous Rig:
    2018 Reflection 312BHTS
    2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW
    Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laidback1 View Post
    We’re on our 3rd trip out with our new 312BHTS. 2 weeks this time. Have a couple of questions:
    1). Our trailer is level, we have the wheels chocked on one side of the trailer (one chock pointing towards the front axle and one pointing towards the rear axle) and our jack stands are extended direct to the ground (when they were extended they hit pavement very close to the same time so no real torque there).
    We still do not feel very stable. Whenever someone walks across the floor you can feel the trailer rocking and moving. It’s so bad that our daughter who is traveling with us the first few days almost gets motion sickness. Gets queasy! Am I missing something? We’ve had a couple of Airstreams and have never felt the motion this bad.

2). What to do with towels? Where are folks hanging their towels to dry? What are you using to hang dry for another use?

3) is there a filter or something that we’re supposed to clean for the main air vents (where the air “dump” is? It looks dusty on the grills.....

Thanks for any help offered!

Mark

PS: we love our layout and having no major issues with any systems!
    I found I got used to the "wiggle" in the fifth wheel after a while. While I don't understand the dynamics of this stuff, it seems we wiggle more if there's still a lot of weight on the tires and not on the jacks.

We hang our towels on the top of the shower rail. Does your shower go all the way to the ceiling? How about adding railing-type handle to outside of shower door? That could hold a couple of towels.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wiggles because of the flex in the arm jacks. The more those jacks are extended the more wiggle there is. We use the Anderson Jack Blocks - fancy reinforced plastic buckets that can be stacked, to go under the jacks. The jacks don't have to extend nearly as much with the Jack Blocks underneath. And we don't have to use as much wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...ler+jack+block

I noticed the fronts have significantly less sway/wiggle. But the rears still have more wiggle due to the long tail overhang - kind of like the tail wagging the dog.

I plan on installing the SteadyFast stabilizing system to help eliminate most of the wiggle. We have 3 very energetic 6 yr old boys who love to jump and run. When they're moving all about in their rear bunkhouse, our front bedroom has a lot of wiggle So hopefully the SteadyFast system with 2 of the stabilizers in the rear will help with that regard.

http://www.steadyfast.com/

As for towels, we use the Command hooks. You can get them at the big box stores. They're strong adhesive tape backed hooks that can carry 6 or 7 lbs. That's enough for us to hang our towels on - one towel per hook.

Sorry no idea why you have so much dust on your grills.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used them, but I've heard people have had great success using x chocks to eliminate the rocking.

I took two tension rods and hung them above my shower and we hang towels or bathing suits on them to dry out, works well after the last person is done using the shower.

You should be able to remove your AC grill and clean off the filter. Make sure the unit is off so you aren't collecting dust without the filter in place.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stumbled on these while walking through WalMart. Granted, only used them now a whopping three times, but I'd buy them again. (I have not used the metal version, so cannot provide a comparison.)

EDIT: After reading Rob's post below, let me add that I bought these in lieu of having standard chocks, not for a wobble issue. I like how with one device both wheels are secured from rolling in either direction.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...ellow/29764490

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sFdJQxb.jpg  
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried X Chocks and they didn't do much for us. Stabilizing the tires in the fore/aft direction does not have much affect on the side-to-side "bobble" of the trailer sitting on its springs. To stabilize this, you need solid supports from the frame to the ground. Keeping the jack extension short, with solid blocking on the ground and/or cross bracing seem to be the most effective. I would agree with livinthelife, that after a while we don't really notice the motion . . . it is sort of like getting used to the motion of a boat.

WRT hanging the towels . . . be aware that some have had Command Strips pull the wallpaper off.

WRT the A/C . . . there is (well . . . at least there should be) a washable filter on the intake.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the movement comes from the suspension. On our previous trailer, I added a third set of stabilizers just in front of the wheels. It was a night and day difference.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I stumbled on these while walking through WalMart. Granted, only used them now a whopping three times, but I'd buy them again. (I have not used the metal version, so cannot provide a comparison.)

EDIT: After reading Rob's post below, let me add that I bought these in lieu of having standard chocks, not for a wobble issue. I like how with one device both wheels are secured from rolling in either direction.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-...ellow/29764490

I’d be very nervous relying on those without standard chocks.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our auto leveling system lifts the trailer up so high that the wheels are off the ground. So bracing the tires isn't going to help.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I’d be very nervous relying on those without standard chocks.
    Getting a little OT, but I have to ask--why would you be nervous using this item? Have you used them (or a similar product) and had a bad experience? Please don't misunderstand--I am not being contentious or argumentative, I want to know the source of your misgivings in case I am overlooking something.

From my <limited> experience, the knob is easy to screw down tight and the pressure on the wheels seems very secure.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast