User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Access to Compartment Behind TV - Poor Design!

My wife and I love our 230 RL but one design feature drives us nuts. Behind the TV mount is empty space but there is no way to access it without cutting a hole into the compartment in order to run the wires from our satellite receiver to the TV. Right now they run out the front to the compartment below.

Our solution is to cut a hole into the compartment and purchase a door to match the one over the microwave so it looks nice. We spoke to Grand Design and they said they understood the problem but have never had feedback that it should be changed. We were the first to say anything. To me that is hard to believe because it seems so obvious.

Has anyone else noticed this design problem? What solutions have you come up with?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL
    2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Crewcab 4x4 with 6'4" box
    Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The space behind the TV is almost impossible to get at, we noticed the same thing when looking at Imagine TTs, the 2500RL is basically same floor plan except the bath is a walk thru to the bedroom, the 230RL 5er has a hallway. Both the 2600RB and the 2150RB have access to the space behind the TV as the pantry is not angled to allow viewing from other than the seating areas in the slides, sometimes when sitting on my throne, I wish I could see the TV.

Depending on what you plan on keeping in the space behind the TV and above the pantry, have you thought about remounting the TV on a hinged panel? Would give you access and would not require matching doors.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    The space behind the TV is almost impossible to get at, we noticed the same thing when looking at Imagine TTs, the 2500RL is basically same floor plan except the bath is a walk thru to the bedroom, the 230RL 5er has a hallway. Both the 2600RB and the 2150RB have access to the space behind the TV as the pantry is not angled to allow viewing from other than the seating areas in the slides, sometimes when sitting on my throne, I wish I could see the TV.

Depending on what you plan on keeping in the space behind the TV and above the pantry, have you thought about remounting the TV on a hinged panel? Would give you access and would not require matching doors.
    Perhaps I'm missing what you are saying as I think it would be much more complicated to do what you are suggesting as there is a power supply behind the TV as well as a mount for cable/satellite and a hole for wires to pass through. Also to remount the TV would require rebuilding the infrastructure to hold the weight of the TV. On the other hand making an opening and adding an access door avoids doing all that extra work.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been toying with ideas of what to do with that area also. I pulled the control panel by the door off to peek behind and see what the TV is mounted to and was surprised by all the wasted space. Should be easy to put an access door that matches cabinets to the left of the TV mount bracket and a shelf in the empty space. Kinda like a hidden compartment that the TV would conceal unless its pulled out. If I had an easier place to work on it than the storage lot I think I would attempt it. I do wish it looked like the new 260RD area, with less wasted space, and the extra counter space!

As far as the satellite cable, I was able to pull the radio out (4 screws), and the control panel next to the door and fish wires where I needed for the TV. I had a a wire fish tape that I was able to use or help, and since I was running a cable from the basement I was able to follow the wires by pulling the drawers out in the kitchen for access areas.
    Last edited by Pawsitive Camping Life; 07-25-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working from memory, and just trying to help. The control center is on the right as you enter the rig as I recall. Above the TV is an open shelf, that does not go all the way to the outside wall, that is the depth is shallower than the pantry shelves below the TV. Does the TV area have a cable/sat coax box with antenna booster and AC plug on the top? Might not as you have an open shelf above the TV space, perhaps your connections for the TV are mounted above the Jensen or on the TV support panel.
    I’m betting the TV mount is nothing more than a piece of solid wood, the width of the TV mount, that runs vertically between the cabinet rails, top and bottom. The areas to the left or right of the mount are likely just thin plywood.
    Below the TV your Jensen is to the left, an open shelf to the right. The open space might have an AC outlet. Assume this is where you have put your sat box. The Jensen has a cable hole above it as I recall for connection to the TV. On my unit I drilled a cable hole from the open shelf into the Jensen space to run cable from a BR player to the TV. That solved the cables being run outside the cabinet.
    Where are you thinking of cutting a hole? I assumed you meant behind the TV somewhere.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m betting the TV mount is nothing more than a piece of solid wood, the width of the TV mount, that runs vertically between the cabinet rails, top and bottom. The areas to the left or right of the mount are likely just thin plywood.
    You are correct, this is how ours is designed.
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsitivedivetraining View Post
    You are correct, this is how ours is designed.
    Thanks, assumed they were all pretty much the same. I guess because you had a peek behind your control center you have eye witness knowledge. Wasn't sure where the OP was planning on cutting, obviously it couldn't be across the panel as it would destroy the integrity of the mount.
    Judy & Larry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't sure where the OP was planning on cutting, obviously it couldn't be across the panel as it would destroy the integrity of the mount.
    I appreciate you folks taking time to help me decided the best plan of action. Let me clarify that my plan is to cut the hole behind the TV to the right of the mount since that space has nothing in it. I'm attaching a photo which should better show the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV Mount.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	21600

My plan is to order the same sized door that they currently use horizontally above the microwave and install that vertically to the right of the TV mount to cover the hole and create easy access to the entire area behind the TV. I have measured and determined that there is enough space to accommodate the door and handle with the TV stowed and locked. Incidentally, I'm thinking of having the door open to the left to allow me to be able to better access the space once it is opened.

Most likely we would also install shelves within the space to better utilize it.

It is still beyond me that GD would seal this space and not allow wires to be connected without running them outside of the unit.

Any other comments/ideas would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand your plan. You might check with @pawsitivedivetraining as he has already had his off, or just take off your control center panel to see what is behind the area you plan to use as stowage. There may be some wiring that is in the way back there. Good idea to try and get some use of the space. Like the idea of the door to keep it clean. Good luck!
    Judy & Larry

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucedunning View Post
    I appreciate you folks taking time to help me decided the best plan of action. Let me clarify that my plan is to cut the hole behind the TV to the right of the mount since that space has nothing in it. I'm attaching a photo which should better show the area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TV Mount.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	21600

My plan is to order the same sized door that they currently use horizontally above the microwave and install that vertically to the right of the TV mount to cover the hole and create easy access to the entire area behind the TV. I have measured and determined that there is enough space to accommodate the door and handle with the TV stowed and locked. Incidentally, I'm thinking of having the door open to the left to allow me to be able to better access the space once it is opened.

Most likely we would also install shelves within the space to better utilize it.

It is still beyond me that GD would seal this space and not allow wires to be connected without running them outside of the unit.

Any other comments/ideas would be very much appreciated.
    I think that is a good plan. Our wires run out the top right of that panel instead of the top left like yours. Just to be safe I would pull the control panel next to the door off to make sure you don't cut through the mass of wires that is there. There should be plenty of slack to keep them out of the way while you cut the panel.

When ours gets back from having some warranty repairs done, I think I will get a door ordered and do something as well with that area.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast