User Tag List

Thread: Water heater

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water heater

Why would a water heater work on propane but not on electricity? What do I need to check?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzfire1 View Post
    Why would a water heater work on propane but not on electricity? What do I need to check?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The electric heating element could be bad. With 110V power off and the water drained from the tank unhook the wires from the element an do a continuity check.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, you are aware that there are normally two switches involved in order to turn the water heater on using the 120VAC for it. One switch is usually inside the trailer on the control panel, and the other is located at the water heater. If both of those switches are on, then you need to start taking voltage readings.....IF you know that the 120V breaker that feeds the water heater is on and you do have voltage coming to the trailer. The logical place to check would be at the wires that are on the heating element itself. If there is no voltage there, make sure that the water heater isn't already hot and the thermostat for it satisfied. If everything points towards the water heater element should be on, check those terminals on the heating element and see if there is 120VAC at the terminals. If there is, and it's still not heating, you have a bad (open circuit) through the element and it will need to be replaced......with the same voltage/wattage type element that is the same length as the original.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rich mentioned above, I have had a bad element (in my case, the heater was turned on while the heater was empty; burns out REALLY fast).

Good news is that if this is your problem, the fix is easy (less than 30 mins) and relatively cheap (~$13). Just need the right size socket or a water heater element wrench (~$7) and a screwdriver.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at an Imagine 2500rl water heater. I could not find "the other" switch at the water heater. Where is it?

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atwood water heater do not have the second switch, Dometics do.

For the OP, couple things to look for. As mentioned above, the elements burn out quickly. People play with switches when plugged in and no water in the water heater tank.

Check the breaker to make sure it is turned on. Switch in the control panel could be bad.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Atwood water heater do not have the second switch, Dometics do.
    I will add, I have a Suburban, and I have the second switch. I had to order a new element, and went ahead and ordered a new switch at the same time, just to have a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I will add, I have a Suburban, and I have the second switch. I had to order a new element, and went ahead and ordered a new switch at the same time, just to have a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Yep, I actually meant Suburban.

Atwood and Dometic are the same.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dodged a bullet...

I just purchased a Reflection 367BHS with this exact issue. AC wire was too short and pulled from back of water heater. Quickly fixed by mobile tech and reimbursed by GD. Luckily no fire started but duct and floor show damage from live AC wire...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A7B27423-9A93-4121-9C6E-0E133DE3CA14.jpeg   0F8F587D-6ED6-4AB4-8A93-D0407A406486.jpeg  
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    I just purchased a Reflection 367BHS with this exact issue. AC wire was too short and pulled from back of water heater. Quickly fixed by mobile tech and reimbursed by GD. Luckily no fire started but duct and floor show damage from live AC wire...
    You were right about 'Dodging the Bullet'. There had to be some heat to melt thru the duct.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]