Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Ram 3500 DRW

Looking to buy new Ram since the price has come down with the employee pricing break. The issue is I am having problems finding the truck with the trim package I want. A loaded Laramie or Limited is fine. The the trucks that I have located have everything I want with the exception of either the surround camera or the auto air ride system. So far its one or the other. I want both. So if you were me, what would you choose and why?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papachiax6 View Post
    Looking to buy new Ram since the price has come down with the employee pricing break. The issue is I am having problems finding the truck with the trim package I want. A loaded Laramie or Limited is fine. The the trucks that I have located have everything I want with the exception of either the surround camera or the auto air ride system. So far its one or the other. I want both. So if you were me, what would you choose and why?
    I would take the auto air ride system. Would make for better ride and towing. Not a big fan of the surround camera's. Too much electronics to go wrong once warranty is done.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I wish I had on my '18 was the surround cameras. I don't have either on mine, but I know that I can add an after market air ride system and make it any psi I want. The last time I look at the Dodge auto air ride on them is was either on or off, and was not variable.
    Monty and Nena, with our 4 legged friend Allie

2018 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn CC 4X4 DRW Mopar M25 hitch with 90 gal Aux tank
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 376TH
    2014 Harley Tri-Glide

[SIGPIC]http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARFLGAIAKSLAMNMSMONENMNDOKSCSDTNTXsm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I would take the auto air ride system. Would make for better ride and towing. Not a big fan of the surround camera's. Too much electronics to go wrong once warranty is done.

Rob
    If it has to be one or the other I would take the surround camera because should it break the truck will still work. If there is a problem with the air bags one is not pulling a load until that system is fixed. Now, I have absolutely no knowledge about the reliability of Dodge's air bag system. I've got a 2018 Dodge 3500 DRW and I don't have an issue with how the truck rides when empty so I wouldn't pay for the air bags. I also don't see a need for the surround cameras[1]. Things break and I'm just concerned with what happens when they break and were it leaves me until fixed.

[1] I reserved the right to change my mind if I am able to experience either system first hand. :-) I didn't think adaptive cruise control was that big of a deal until driving my wife's car. Where I live the major road is a 2 lane highway and passing is rarely possible. The number of people who drive under the limit and/or can't maintain a constant speed is a constant PITA. Adaptive cruise control is a really nice feature and wish my truck had that option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ‘16 3500 with the air suspension. There are 2 settings for height. Alternative Ride Height drops the rear about 1”. Being able to drop the height certainly helps with the RV riding level. I have had no issues with this system. I also follow a few Ram centric internet sites and have very, very few posters reporting any issues at all with the air suspension.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, folks unfortunately confuse the air option on the RAM. On the 3500s it's just rear leveling. The system is very problem-free unlike the lighter RAM's 4-corner air ride. My 3500 has it, and it is what I would recommend. I have driven many a vehicle with surround view, and please take NO OFFENSE, but I feel it just further promotes poor driving habits. Relying on the gadgetry versus honing reliable skills such as muscle memory in checking mirrors all the time, knowing the size of your rig, etc. that can be taken into any vehicle you drive.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yes, folks unfortunately confuse the air option on the RAM. On the 3500s it's just rear leveling. The system is very problem-free unlike the lighter RAM's 4-corner air ride. My 3500 has it, and it is what I would recommend. I have driven many a vehicle with surround view, and please take NO OFFENSE, but I feel it just further promotes poor driving habits. Relying on the gadgetry versus honing reliable skills such as muscle memory in checking mirrors all the time, knowing the size of your rig, etc. that can be taken into any vehicle you drive.
    Does the system provide a smooth ride when empty along with ride leveling? I don't find the ride of my truck to really rough, but I've driven short bed 3/4 ton trucks for 20+ years so I'm used to a truck being a truck. I'm just wondering if the system does increase ride quality when empty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2018 Dodge 3500 DRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramcneal View Post
    Does the system provide a smooth ride when empty along with ride leveling? I don't find the ride of my truck to really rough, but I've driven short bed 3/4 ton trucks for 20+ years so I'm used to a truck being a truck. I'm just wondering if the system does increase ride quality when empty.
    I have had 3500 RAMs with and without, and my seat-o-pants meter says it does help. However, I will always say that adjusting tire pressure is the real key to a better ride with the heavy truck empty. I run equalizers on my duals so it's very easy to adjust with a single Schrader each side, and also keep a portable air compressor in the truck.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say If those options are what you want hold out for them. Don't settle for something you don't want.
    On our 2018 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn we don't have either option and don't miss them. We do have the bed and tailgate cameras and that is enough. We Do Not have the air ride suspension, we don't need it. I have been asked by other campers how we like our truck towing the Solitude and whether it has air ride or not. My answer is we don't have air ride, our truck rides great with or without the Solitude. You can see the weights we are towing in signature line. The rear duals are set to 65# of air pressure whether we are towing the Solitude or not. But like I said if you want the rear air ride suspension, hold out for it. For your specific rig you may want it. Get what you want.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2018 Laramie is great, I ordered the 5th wheel package, larger alternator and LED lights in the bed area. I also ordered the camera that shows the bed for easy hook ups.
    Dennis Dillon in Idaho was awesome, no price dealing. In person, over the phone or internet was the same price. I ordered on the phone and it was there 8 weeks later. No body beat their price, a sales guy at Dave Smith wanted to negotiate and he was not close.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast