User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extended warranty question

The original 1-year warranty on our 2020 Momentum 351 is about to expire, and we're looking into an extended warranty. Does anyone have a particular company they can recommend? Thank you!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'll use the search function at the top right, you'll find dozens of threads on this topic. BTW - they're not really warranties, but rather insurance policies... despite what many people call them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya and they cost you big $$$. After a year you already know what you got. Is it that bad? Does everything still work like when you got it? If you just put that money in the bank it could cover any big repair. With all the stories about repairs at RV places taking 3 or 4 weeks to get done, how many would you just do yourself? I personally think that these insurance policies are a scam. I would be more in the camp of towing insurance is more important if you travel.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    Ya and they cost you big $$$. After a year you already know what you got. Is it that bad? Does everything still work like when you got it? If you just put that money in the bank it could cover any big repair. With all the stories about repairs at RV places taking 3 or 4 weeks to get done, how many would you just do yourself? I personally think that these insurance policies are a scam. I would be more in the camp of towing insurance is more important if you travel.
    I agree, I think the RV extended warranties are a waste of money. Now the manufacturer backed extended warranties on these new expensive diesel trucks are a different story. I put one on my new 450 and wouldn't be without it. Do NOT buy the aftermarket ones though, only the factory ones, Ford's ESP Premiumcare for example.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    I agree, I think the RV extended warranties are a waste of money. Now the manufacturer backed extended warranties on these new expensive diesel trucks are a different story. I put one on my new 450 and wouldn't be without it. Do NOT buy the aftermarket ones though, only the factory ones, Ford's ESP Premiumcare for example.
    I've had a quite different experience. We bought an extended warranty (or insurance policy if you want to be technically correct) on our last trailer. I purchased the warranty through a wholesaler. It was not through the manufacturer. We had some repairs that were out of the two year manufacturer standard warranty while we were traveling out of town. The repairs were not something you can do in your driveway either. I had an axle go out on us during a trip to Boston. The labor alone was more than what I paid for the 7 year warranty.

Several factors here that affect buying and/or making claims on an extended warranty. Heres a couple. One. The dealership / service center you're working through. Two. Where you buy your warranty significantly varies the price. The price quoted at the time I bought the trailer and what I actually paid going through a wholesaler was 3x less.

Also, I've yet to find an RV manufacturer that sells extended warranties. Please fill me if there is one for GD. I couldn't find it when I bought my trailer.
    Last edited by MooManChu; 03-17-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't get one on my truck. Experience told me not to bother. The stuff it covers has a very low failure rate. A axle is not a normal failure. I just dont understand that you pay 2 or 3 grand for this insurance and you still have a deductible. I wonder if my insurance company that insures mine covers some of this. I will check tomorrow.
    Other than some simple repairs that I have done myself have been cheap and not worth the hassle of taking it in for repair. I did however have a frame brake on my SOB and it cost $1,500 to fix. Lousy roads did a number and I just paid to have it fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I didn't get one on my truck. Experience told me not to bother. The stuff it covers has a very low failure rate. A axle is not a normal failure. I just dont understand that you pay 2 or 3 grand for this insurance and you still have a deductible. I wonder if my insurance company that insures mine covers some of this. I will check tomorrow.
    Other than some simple repairs that I have done myself have been cheap and not worth the hassle of taking it in for repair. I did however have a frame brake on my SOB and it cost $1,500 to fix. Lousy roads did a number and I just paid to have it fixed.
    You are spot on with your comment. BTW. I paid less than 1500 for that extended warranty. It paid out about 2800 in repairs for the 3 years I had the trailer and when I traded it in last summer they refunded the other 4 years remaining which i put on my grand design momentum. I'm not selling the idea, just how things worked out for us. Let's all be real, these trailers are not remotely close to being built with the same quality as a mass production truck and dont get me started on the suppliers. I think Grand Design makes the best trailer hence I'm here, but still however they all have problems some minor, some not.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MooManChu ~ Could I ask you which company you went with and which plan? Thanks so much!!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlvn2019 View Post
    Hi MooManChu ~ Could I ask you which company you went with and which plan? Thanks so much!!
    MooManChu may not see this... forum hint: if you use the "Reply With Quote" (as I've done here) or tag the user like this: @Rvlvn2019 , they will get a notification (you can edit your post and tag him).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlvn2019 View Post
    We went with XtraRide. We had it on our previous travel trailer and had a couple claims (in excess of $3,000). Was painless process.

We ditched the hard sales pitch at the dealer where we bought our GD and purchased from an online wholesaler. Our GD dealer wanted over $4,000 for a similar plan.

Worked with Billy Lewis at Eagle Vison RV. 229-329-7099.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty