Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oh darn

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh darn

I was ready to pull the plug on the Solitude 310GK but then ran across a deal on at 2020 Keystone Avalanche 320RS for around $50,000. Now I'm stuck again on what to do. We like them both and the floorpans are basically the same. Both have king beds, auto leveling and everything else we have been looking for. Darn, now what?????

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read reviews about factory suppot after the sale, 99 percent sure GD beats the heck out of Keystone in that respect. After the sale support from the company is a high priority for us.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I was ready to pull the plug on the Solitude 310GK but then ran across a deal on at 2020 Keystone Avalanche 320RS for around $50,000. Now I'm stuck again on what to do. We like them both and the floorpans are basically the same. Both have king beds, auto leveling and everything else we have been looking for. Darn, now what?????
    Go sit in each of them for 15-30 minutes. See which "feels like home".

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots out there, and as @livinthelife says, go sit in them and see which feels like home. Watch for the lip stick on a pig glitter blinds the buyer syndrome. For example, the Arctic Fox 32-5M is a very nice well built rig, well appointed, dual pane windows for cool or hot weather use and comfort and like GDRV, excellent after sales service and support.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend and winter time resident just bought a Montana from Keystone. I thought I liked it then noticed...
    > not a wide body
    > the inverter was something you could get a Harbor Fright with some kind of separate "transfer switch" that kicked the inverter circuits on. It has only a 15amp switch and runs both the refrigerator and the 120v outlets in the RV. that's a real step down from even the WFCO thing GD uses.
    > look at the material used under the slides. I think it is not as good as what GD uses.
    > they did get day/hight shades; electric cord reel, fiberglass rear cap and a few other things.

Not going to say one is better than the other. Just sayin' - some things look nice at first and then ya start to find differences. It's up to you what you think of the differences.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought - we were considering a Cougar before we got our Reflection. Until my husband opened and closed the storage compartment doors in the Cougar. There was a definite lack of solidity in the manufacturing process there. Things just felt flimsy there. And that's what made the decision for us - Grand Design it is.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    If $50,000 is your number, then make that offer to the Grand Design dealer, (be sure to make that the bottom line plus taxes, otherwise they will stick all kinds of dealer fees on to that number), and see if the dealer will take it. Also, be willing to travel to get your deal (we traveled 200 miles for our 310GK). I think if the dealer has a unit on the lot, I think they might just jump at that $50,000 offer, if not, they might get darn close.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will start by saying, i did not look at Keystone, and know nothing about them. If the Keystone Avalanche is a comparable unit, then I really like SolarPowered's advice above; offer GD the same price. See how close they come.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with my Solitude, but there is nothing magical about Grand Design. Their product is typical for the price point. As I said, i like my GD fifth wheel, but wouldn't pay a premium for it.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Another thought - we were considering a Cougar before we got our Reflection. Until my husband opened and closed the storage compartment doors in the Cougar. There was a definite lack of solidity in the manufacturing process there. Things just felt flimsy there. And that's what made the decision for us - Grand Design it is.
    We had the same type of experience of the flimsy feeling with the VanLeigh's but it was with their cabinet doors. When you opened them they had a bad wobble because of how thin and light they are.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go take a look at the suspension on each. Take note of the axle weight ratings as compared to the GVWR and what they use for suspension. Also check the tire and wheel load ratings. I had an epiphany while shopping and all these items I mention on a Keystone Cougar. I felt they relied to much on hitch weight and underrated their axles and tire loading. They weren't the only ones but it changed my priorities. I think just recently they began using the Lippert Equa-flex equalizer.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 05-05-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast