User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    We pull a 2020 2450RL, the published weights are inaccurate. our trailer loaded for travel has a 920 lb. tongue weight, the hitch and bars weigh approx. 100 lbs.
    The 920 lbs is with all tanks empty.
    Bob A.
    The published weights are averages, that’s why the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet is important, it is accurate. Your loaded tongue weight of 920 is pretty much exactly what I said.
    The holding tanks can be pretty much ignored as far as tongue weight goes. Virtually all that weight is on the axles. The dry tongue weight as spec’d by GDRV includes empty propane tanks and excludes the battery.

If you measure the distance between the coupler and the centre of the stowage, and the coupler to between the wheels, the weight on the axles and on the tongue can be determined if you know the weight of everything you put in the stowage and wardrobes. Considering the stowage weight placed on the tongue, an estimate for most Imagines is about 2/3rds on the hitch, 1/3 on the axles. In your case, I estimate you probably have about 250 pounds in stowage and wardrobes. That’s about 170 pounds on the hitch and about 80 pounds on the axles. 580+175+170= 925 pounds, close to you scaled 920.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    The published weights are averages, that’s why the Vehicle Weight Information Sheet is important, it is accurate. Your loaded tongue weight of 920 is pretty much exactly what I said.
    The holding tanks can be pretty much ignored as far as tongue weight goes. Virtually all that weight is on the axles. The dry tongue weight as spec’d by GDRV includes empty propane tanks and excludes the battery.

If you measure the distance between the coupler and the centre of the stowage, and the coupler to between the wheels, the weight on the axles and on the tongue can be determined if you know the weight of everything you put in the stowage and wardrobes. Considering the stowage weight placed on the tongue, an estimate for most Imagines is about 2/3rds on the hitch, 1/3 on the axles. In your case, I estimate you probably have about 250 pounds in stowage and wardrobes. That’s about 170 pounds on the hitch and about 80 pounds on the axles. 580+175+170= 925 pounds, close to you scaled 920.
    I can tell you that when we had our Imagine 2950RL, and I believe the 2970RL is the same way, the fresh water tank was right up front, right under the bed about 3.5 feet from the tongue. I have the GD engineering drawings of where the holding tanks are located. Loaded with fresh water it put 300 pounds + more weight on the hitch. So a lot will depend on the model of the RV.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your 250 for stowage is right on, thanks for the formula
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I can tell you that when we had our Imagine 2950RL, and I believe the 2970RL is the same way, the fresh water tank was right up front, right under the bed about 3.5 feet from the tongue. I have the GD engineering drawings of where the holding tanks are located. Loaded with fresh water it put 300 pounds + more weight on the hitch. So a lot will depend on the model of the RV.
    I agree completely, the model will determine tongue weight if loaded tanks are not over the axles. Good point. The OP’s discussion was regarding the Imagines smaller than the 2600RB.

By under the bed, I assume you mean under the foot of the bed? Usually the pass thru stowage is under the head of the bed. The centre of the pass thru to coupler is about 70”, a fresh tank right behind the stowage wall would have a center possibly in the 80-90” from coupler range. You are absolutely correct that a full fresh tank could put 300 pounds on the hitch and 100 or so on the axles depending on distance from coupler to centre of axles. I tend to think it might be 50/50 split, but what is a hundred pounds or so when dealing with 1000 pounds?
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely, the model will determine tongue weight if loaded tanks are not over the axles. Good point. The OP’s discussion was regarding the Imagines smaller than the 2600RB.

By under the bed, I assume you mean under the foot of the bed? Usually the pass thru stowage is under the head of the bed. The centre of the pass thru to coupler is about 70”, a fresh tank right behind the stowage wall would have a center possibly in the 80-90” from coupler range. You are absolutely correct that a full fresh tank could put 300 pounds on the hitch and 100 or so on the axles depending on distance from coupler to centre of axles. I tend to think it might be 50/50 split, but what is a hundred pounds or so when dealing with 1000 pounds?
    Could be the smaller Imagines have the fresh tank in a different place. For the 2950RL/2970RL the fresh tank is most likely under the middle to foot of the bed. According to the drawing the fresh tank begins 37 3/8 inches aft of the battery. The drawing just shows the frame, battery and propane tanks and the holding tank locations in the frame, nothing above the frame. The tanks are installed with the fresh tank first, then the black tank then the 1st grey tank and lastly the 2nd grey tank. The second grey tank is over the forward axle of the coach and is parallel with the frame. The fresh tank, first grey tank and the black tank are forward of the axles and installed cross frame. It would have been better if they had switched the fresh tank and 2nd grey tank locations making the fresh tank resting in the frame over the front axle.

I ran into all this discussion with the dealership, Emily Staley of GD and Equalizer when we had our Imagine. The dealership sold me a 1000# rated hitch because they said the GD advertised tongue weight was 795# By GD's site the average dry weight was supposed to be 795#, the as built 2950RL dry weight we bought came in at 902# tongue weight, add the battery, propane, our stuff and 360# of water and we were way over and carrying 1450# of tongue weight. The dealership completely ignored the as built weight sheet. I got our as built weight sheet, then I found out where the fresh water tanks was.
    They did upgrade our Equalizer hitch free of charge to the 1400# variety. Still we had to watch our tongue weight very close, could never carry a full fresh water tank. I purchased a Sherlin tongue weight scale and kept very close track of it.

You just got to be a little careful with some of the models and where they put the tanks and measure the tongue weight.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a result most of the responses - its made me re-think my plan. Ive been a Ford guy for quite a while and would love to stick with them, but the new Ram's interior is calling me. This weekend I looked at a Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn. The dealer is looking around for a vehicle with my option choices. We'll see!! Thanks for everyone's advice and insight!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pencka View Post
    As a result most of the responses - its made me re-think my plan. Ive been a Ford guy for quite a while and would love to stick with them, but the new Ram's interior is calling me. This weekend I looked at a Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn. The dealer is looking around for a vehicle with my option choices. We'll see!! Thanks for everyone's advice and insight!!
    Good luck Steve, Rams have excellent pricing on the Canadian side of the border at this time, imagine it is same a couple hundred miles south. It is a personal taste, and if the Ram is whispering in your ear, might just be a match made in heaven.
    Judy & Larry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345