User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added a twin cooling fan and control this past weekend. I have a Norcold 18 cu. ft. 4 door frig in my Momentum and it struggles sometimes in the heat, especially when the slide that it's in is facing the afternoon sun. I resolved the door flap issue that is quite common on those models (2118) and that helped quite a lot, but I still feel like it wasn't cooling as good as it should. The 2118 has two fans in the rear that move air across the condensor, but they don't move much air. Combine that with the fact that the thermistor that senses and controls what temperature that the fans come on, is preset to 130 degrees....and .....it is located on the far outside of the cooling fins, and the tube is at least 2" away from the thermistor mounting location. This is the fan setup that I just installed. Two 120mm fans side by side and capable of moving 120 cfm of air. The control unit is located inside the trailer and can be set to manual operation or automatic operation and has 6 speeds. In auto, it sense the temperature of the compartment that the back of the refrigerator is and starts the fans on low speed at 68 degrees. If the temperature continues to rise in the compartment area, the fan speed automatically increases to move more air. It has a remote temperature sensor that you place in that compartment....and the rest of the control is in the trailer. Here's a link to it....
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed it on the upper vent/grill and it blows outward. This action sucks up air from the bottom of the compartment and causes that air to flow across the heat exchanger or condensor.....and then exhaust that hot air out the top grille, just like it is designed to do.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-25-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I just added a twin cooling fan and control this past weekend. I have a Norcold 18 cu. ft. 4 door frig in my Momentum and it struggles sometimes in the heat, especially when the slide that it's in is facing the afternoon sun. I resolved the door flap issue that is quite common on those models (2118) and that helped quite a lot, but I still feel like it wasn't cooling as good as it should. The 2118 has two fans in the rear that move air across the condensor, but they don't move much air. Combine that with the fact that the thermistor that senses and controls what temperature that the fans come on, is preset to 130 degrees....and .....it is located on the far outside of the cooling fins, and the tube is at least 2" away from the thermistor mounting location. This is the fan setup that I just installed. Two 120mm fans side by side and capable of moving 120 cfm of air. The control unit is located inside the trailer and can be set to manual operation or automatic operation and has 6 speeds. In auto, it sense the temperature of the compartment that the back of the refrigerator is and starts the fans on low speed at 68 degrees. If the temperature continues to rise in the compartment area, the fan speed automatically increases to move more air. It has a remote temperature sensor that you place in that compartment....and the rest of the control is in the trailer. Here's a link to it....

I installed it on the upper vent/grill and it blows outward. This action sucks up air from the bottom of the compartment and causes that air to flow across the heat exchanger or condensor.....and then exhaust that hot air out the top grille, just like it is designed to do.
    That looks interesting. Now go somewhere really hot and let us know how it works for you. LOL

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikec557 View Post
    That looks interesting. Now go somewhere really hot and let us know how it works for you. LOL
    Well, I'll to do just that, although this part of the country (E. TN isn't quite as hot as some of the locations y'all have been talking about.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did the same mod. So far no significant change but still gonna keep tweaking it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A5E33480-C7D5-4F4F-BCA8-9B8B8A759975.jpg   6F5E2F59-16F4-4D2E-A0DA-08321C09049F.jpg   9232EDA2-9819-427B-901B-DF12B222146E.jpg  
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    Just did the same mod. So far no significant change but still gonna keep tweaking it.
    Did you install it on the upper vent to blow hot air out, or on the lower vent to bring outside air into the space behind the frig?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you install it on the upper vent to blow hot air out, or on the lower vent to bring outside air into the space behind the frig?
    Upper vent.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upper vent.
    What kind of temperature are you experiencing outside.....90s...100s...???
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also....what model is the frig in your trailer?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of temperature are you experiencing outside.....90s...100s...???
    Today was about 90 degrees out. Fridge gets sun from above most of the day. I have a Dometic RM 1350 (4 door 12 cubic feet). So far what I have noticed is now that the upper exterior compartment is staying cooler the 4 exterior fridge fans aren’t coming on like they used to. I actually think they still need to come on. I will probably switch out the fridge fan sensor to an 85 degree one and see if that makes a difference. Supposed to be 110 degrees on Thursday so I’ll know more then lol.

12:45 today vs 8pm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 748C1D89-935E-4847-B942-0C9B1373508F.jpeg   E55AEA1B-C87D-4882-A63B-DCBFB704D2C2.jpeg  
    Last edited by Justa5th; 05-25-2020 at 09:03 PM.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was about 90 degrees out. Fridge gets sun from above most of the day. I have a Dometic RM 1350 (4 door 12 cubic feet). So far what I have noticed is now that the upper exterior compartment is staying cooler the 4 exterior fridge fans aren’t coming on like they used to. I actually think they still need to come on. I will probably switch out the fridge fan sensor to an 85 degree one and see if that makes a difference. Supposed to be 110 degrees on Thursday so I’ll know more then lol.

12:45 today vs 8pm
    Holy Cow....110 degrees. That's brutal. I'm hoping that mine will really make a difference. On the Norcold 2118 that i have, the thermistor that controls the fans is preset to not kick on until it senses 130 degrees. By then, it's too late and the frig never catches up....plus the fans really don't move that much air anyway. They also located the thermistor on the very outside edge of one of the fins on the condensor.....way too far away from the tube that is carrying the amonia...so no telling how hot it is there. I started to just try and move the thermistor mounting location, and that may have helped somewhat, but when I realize how little air the fans were actually moving, I just went ahead with the fan mod. We get some mid 90's here in TN so hopefully, I'll be camping one of those weekends and get to give it a test.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-25-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast