User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: F350 or not?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 4x4 and 18” rims. My understanding is that the 20” rims don’t raise the overall height because they use a lower profile tire, with a close to zero net gain in height. I’m on a couple of Ford forums, and hear that the FX4 isn’t really worth the extra money, as it only includes a skid plate or two and a questionable shock change/“upgrade”.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timshoemaker View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info! Do you have 18" or 20" tires on your truck? The one I'm looking at is the FX4, do you know if that adds height? Do you happen to know your back tailgate bedrail height? I'm going to maybe get the truck today but am going to measure the bedrail height first.
    I have the 18" rims but with the optional 275/70-R18 tires which are 1" larger in diameter then the standard 18's so 1" smaller in diameter then the 20's. This only equates to 1/2" difference in height then the 20's so not enough to worry about. The FX4 package has different shocks, skid plates and hill assist which don't affect the height. My height at the middle of the tailgate (highest point) is 60 1/2". This is empty except an about 200 lb B&W Companion slider hitch. Good Luck.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I have the 4x4 and 18” rims. My understanding is that the 20” rims don’t raise the overall height because they use a lower profile tire, with a close to zero net gain in height. I’m on a couple of Ford forums, and hear that the FX4 isn’t really worth the extra money, as it only includes a skid plate or two and a questionable shock change/“upgrade”.
    Ford does not use the lower profile tires on their HD trucks so the 20's will raise the truck 2" over the stock 18's.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome thanks!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    Ford does not use the lower profile tires on their HD trucks so the 20's will raise the truck 2" over the stock 18's.
    Hmm...this is definitely a concern.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Like I said I have the optional 18" tires with only 1/2" less in height then the 20's and I'm level. 1/2" is not enough to worry about.

Edit: Oh! I see I misspoke about 2" greater in height with the 20's. They are 2" greater in diameter which is 1" in height.
    Last edited by HighFive; 09-27-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 1 inch, right? The axle is half-way up the tire.

@HighFive beat me to it
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    Well, 1 inch, right? The axle is half-way up the tire.

@HighFive beat me to it
    True. Maybe nothing to worry about. Just hate to drop this kind of money on a truck and have to end up modifying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailers weighing 2500 lbs and up pin weight are in dually territory. Our Solitude loaded grosses out at close to 17K pounds with close to 3K pin weight. Dually's are great for full timers or people who tow a lot but they can be a little hairy for daily drivers. I'm retired and live out in the country so parking most of the time is no problem as I use mine for a daily driver also. When towing it's hard to beat the DRW's with the 8' bed and with the 176" WB you get the 48 gallon fuel tank which is real nice. Truck rides fairly smooth even on our crappy Louisiana hwys! The SWB F350 is a great towing vehicle if you don't mind the smaller fuel tank and less bed space. Stick with the smaller and lighter 5th wheel and you should be OK.
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

2017 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW...FX4...4.10's...White Gold/Caribou with Black interior. Curt Q20 hitch. BakFlip MX4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
    I have the 18" rims but with the optional 275/70-R18 tires which are 1" larger in diameter then the standard 18's so 1" smaller in diameter then the 20's. This only equates to 1/2" difference in height then the 20's so not enough to worry about. The FX4 package has different shocks, skid plates and hill assist which don't affect the height. My height at the middle of the tailgate (highest point) is 60 1/2". This is empty except an about 200 lb B&W Companion slider hitch. Good Luck.
    So this one is about 60.75" completely empty to the highest point on the tailgate with the 20s. So if I get the right hitch, it looks like I shouldn't have a problem. I'm likely going to take the plunge and switch out the truck today. I'll hate to say goodbye to the amazing ride and features of the 2019 Ram 1500, but at this point it's more about safety for my family, and spreading an extra 20k over a 6 year note isn't that big of a deal in the scope of things. Plus I got such a good deal when I bought the RAM the Ford dealer is actually giving me what I paid for the Ram a few months ago plus about 10k off MSRP on the F350. Still hurts though haha.

I'm totally new to 5th wheels. I'm not sure if I'm going to switch right away, we do like our 285BHTS TT, but it seems like there are a lot of advantages to 5th wheels and since I'll have a truck that's setup for it, I should probably just do it.

Is this the best option for a hitch with a 6.7ft bed? EDIT Fixed Link: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...VK3400-5W.html

I'd like to get a smooth of a ride as possible. I've read that you should replace your kingpin with something better to help with chucking. Any kingpin and hitch recommendations for my setup to get a smooth ride?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Empty bed tailgate height.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	766.0 KB 
ID:	22824
    Last edited by timshoemaker; 09-28-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast