User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

290BH Upgrades--What do you think?

I have a 2018 GD Reflection 150 series 290BH, and have a couple questions. After de-winterizing this spring, I plan on inspecting and (potentially) repacking the bearings and checking the brake components for overall usage.

Last year, we traveled (roughly) 2000 miles, so I believe the 5er is due.

I'm considering upgrading to the CES3000 suspension system and heavy duty shackle kit. Granted, the rig weighs 9995#, but the peace of mind would be nice.

First question, is this overkill?

I read that upgrading to disc from drum brakes are the way to go.

Next question, should I consider this on my 5er?

Third, I've been eyeballing the Goodyear Maxx tires as an upgrade.

Are these worth the investment?

And lastly, how often should I be checking the brakes and repacking the bearings? Once a year enough, or at the start and end of the season.

We typically don't plan on traveling more than 2500 miles a year, but this year is different. We have reservations at Ft. Wilderness (Michigan to Disney) in late September, and I'm putting together my maintenance strategy now.

This is my first 5th wheel, and I don't want to miss anything as an owner.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    I have a 2018 GD Reflection 150 series 290BH, and have a couple questions. After de-winterizing this spring, I plan on inspecting and (potentially) repacking the bearings and checking the brake components for overall usage.

I'm considering upgrading to the CES3000 suspension system and heavy duty shackle kit. Granted, the rig weighs 9995#, but the peace of mind would be nice.

And lastly, how often should I be checking the brakes and repacking the bearings? Once a year enough, or at the start and end of the season.

We typically don't plan on traveling more than 2500 miles a year, but this year is different. We have reservations at Ft. Wilderness (Michigan to Disney) in late September, and I'm putting together my maintenance strategy now.

I think we should move this to its own thread , maybe another mod can help with this, @howson @Cate&Rob, @TucsonJim.
    Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made your own thread based on@Brian's request. It is in the Reflection General Discussion sub-group.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts or help on this is appreciated.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some will argue that these upgrades would be money well spent. I think the tires would be the best investment if you have to make one.
    Brakes at 2000 miles, I would check this spring and repack bearings, this will give you a good idea if they need it each spring or every 2 years, I seen it posted on here to do this around 5000 miles. I will be checking mine this year , after 1 year of use, just to make sure there is no manufacturing problems, then I will do every other year unless I do more traveling.
    The disc brakes would be a big help over the drums, but not sure how much on a 10000# trailer, I am battling this myself with a 11000# trailer.
    I hear great things about the morryde and having never used it I can not give an opinion. Having the wet bolts would be a great upgrade.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts or help on this is appreciated.
    Wetbolts, bronze bushings and shackle kit without question IMHO. Lippert shackles look like they came off a HF utility trailer. The CRE3000 is a nice upgrade. I notice an improvement in ride, no more drawers and such fly open while underway. Not a need, but if you're changing the shackles/ bushings, that's a good time to install the CRE.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are my thoughts on disc brakes. All units built by GDRV with 5,200# to 7,000# axles have the same size drum brakes which are 12" x 2". The trailers and fifth wheels that use these brakes range from 9,995# to over 15,000#. My current trailer is a Reflection 297RSTS with a gross vehicle weight of 9,995#. Your unit has a GVWR of 10,195# which is almost identical to mine. My brakes work very well and I've never had a problem with them. But, as you start going up in weight, those same 12" x 2" brakes start to lose their ability to stop a trailer effectively. On my trailer, if I set the brake controller high enough, I can lock up the trailer brakes by manually activating them. Most people can not do this on a larger unit. If your trailer brakes are working well for you, you might be better served by doing some of the other upgrades that are mentioned above.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Here are my thoughts on disc brakes. All units built by GDRV with 5,200# to 7,000# axles have the same size drum brakes which are 12" x 2". The trailers and fifth wheels that use these brakes range from 9,995# to over 15,000#. My current trailer is a Reflection 297RSTS with a gross vehicle weight of 9,995#. Your unit has a GVWR of 10,195# which is almost identical to mine. My brakes work very well and I've never had a problem with them. But, as you start going up in weight, those same 12" x 2" brakes start to lose their ability to stop a trailer effectively. On my trailer, if I set the brake controller high enough, I can lock up the trailer brakes by manually activating them. Most people can not do this on a larger unit. If your trailer brakes are working well for you, you might be better served by doing some of the other upgrades that are mentioned above.

Jim
    So would you say a trailer with a GVWR of 12k is in the gray area for need of disc brakes, or would be be a definite need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    So would you say a trailer with a GVWR of 12k is in the gray area for need of disc brakes, or would be be a definite need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a tough one for me to answer Tom. I know my 337RLS at 13996# had room for improvement. If your brakes are sketchy in a panic stop, then it's a mod worth considering.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Jim about the lighter trailers being able to handle braking better than the larger trailers. Same as tires, no way the larger trailers should have had E-rated tries where as on the lighter trailers they worked. We have a 303 which is lighter and we have had to make panic stops more than once. These stops would have worried me about being able to stop even if we weren't towing. Yet even towing with drum brakes we were able to make those stops. This is why (especially with the high cost) that we haven't put the discs on. Now if we were to upgrade to a larger trailer I could see us making that switch to the disc brakes.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/