User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    Interesting, so you find it’s easier to back up with the slider vs the turning point? Doesn’t the turning point make the pivot at 22” vs the Blue Ox at 11”, yet seems more like a travel trailer?
    Hi Fishwater,

You make a good point that the turning point hitch already has the benefit for backing, of the pivot point being behind the rear axle as described by johndeerefarmer.

A manual slider hitch has other benefits that have been discussed on previous threads. To quote from those discussions . . .

Many say that it is too much work to move the hitch, but I find it easy to throw the single lever and position the trailer pin either directly over the axle for towing or 10” back for maneuvering. This does bring the pinbox wings close to the tailgate in the maneuver position, but I can open the tailgate to remove this potential interference if the ground is uneven.

There are some other benefits to the fixed pinbox and manual slider hitch which I think make maneuvering and hitching/unhitching on uneven ground much easier. I always hitch in the maneuver (aft) position because I can see the hitch out the back window of the truck. This also gives me lots of room to open the front compartment of the trailer while setting up. There is also lots of clearance to open/close the tailgate of the truck at any angle. Auto slider and turning point hitches usually require careful alignment of the truck to the trailer when hitching/unhitching. Manual slider hitches can be hitched/unhitched at any angle.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had the dealer order a B&W Companion for my Ford with the puck set up. Picking a hitch was almost as agonizing as picking a camper!
    Last edited by Fishwater; 03-18-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 290BH & a small part of the decision was based on the fact that it has the turning point pin box since we have a 6.75’ bed. During my research for a hitch I decided on the Blue Ox slider since it can be removed easily due to breaking it down into multiple pieces plus it’s supposed to ride great due to the internal springs. Now that I’ve put the deal together at the dealership & had them include the hitch as a part of the deal I finally read the fine print on the part# 7200 version that mounts on the ISR rails, it states that it can’t be used with any pin box that rotates. I saw the warning on the part# 6200 that mounts to a gooseball so I specifically went with the ISR version ASSUMING that it would be ok. To be sure I called Blue Ox & unfortunately it can not be used with the turning point. I neglected to ask them if it’s still safe to use as long as I keep the turning point feature locked out so I will have to call back tomorrow before I assume anything else.

I was pretty excited thinking that I could try to turning point vs using a slider to see which I prefer but now I’m not sure if I can keep the Blue Ox. So at this point I’m thinking I either have to make a decision to go with another hitch or if it’s still possible use the Blue Ox without the turning point feature. How many who purchase a 150 Series are using the turning point? I’m not sure where to go from here so any thoughts are appreciated.
    We have a 150 series 290BH, using a standard bed on the 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD TV, and have never used the turning point. The rig is short enough to maneuver into very tight spaces.

We are also using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch (with absolutely no complaints against it, whatsoever!).

I suppose we could use the turning point, but I haven't seen a need, thus far.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    We have a 150 series 290BH, using a standard bed on the 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD TV, and have never used the turning point. The rig is short enough to maneuver into very tight spaces.

We are also using the Anderson Ultimate Hitch (with absolutely no complaints against it, whatsoever!).

I suppose we could use the turning point, but I haven't seen a need, thus far.
    I don't think you can use turning point with Anderson Ultimate Hitch. You have to use a Wedge to lock it.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    I don't think you can use turning point with Anderson Ultimate Hitch. You have to use a Wedge to lock it.
    Yes, that is correct. From what I have read you can not use a wedge with the Anderson or Pullrite super lite because there isn't a place for the wedge to lock out the kingpin rotation. What I have also learned is that you can not use the turning point with the Blue Ox Super Ride (in any configuration, ISR or gooseball) or the Demco Recon gooseball version, the rail mount Recon seems fine for use with a wedge though. Basically what I can gather is that there isn't a gooseball mounted hitch that is acceptable for use with the turning point. B&W does make a wedge for their hitches but those are only to be used in rail or puck mounted applications, again not with a single point (gooseball) attachment.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had the dealer order a B&W Companion for my Ford with the puck set up. Picking a hitch was almost as agonizing as picking a camper!
    You’ll be very happy with the B&W. It’s a great hitch. Easy to operate and removes easily.

Bob

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How many use the turning point feature?

Keep in mind fellas, you don’t have to remove the hitch by hand, there is a simple method.

I see a lot of people buying a lighter weight hitch like the AUH solely for the fact that they don’t want to have to move around a big heavy duty one.

I don’t like having to lift anything heavier than my small Honda generator so I just leave my hitch connected to the trailer, if I need a bed storage.

All you have to do is disengage the hitch from its mounts, which for my B&W is just four large cotter pins, then leave it connected to the king pin on the trailer, raise the front jacks up kinda high and pull away. You can even lock it on there with a big padlock.

Here’s an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 03-18-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummm, hate to be the bearer, and probably too late to this thread...but.....
    B&W as of a couple of years ago used to explicitly warn against using any extended wedge type pin box with their hitches. I see no reference on their site anymore, but it would really be worth the call....

I had a Reese Revolution, which is almost a duplicate of the Turning Point. Truck had a 6.5 box. I still have ruts in my yard where I inadvertently did 90's while backing into the drive, so it worked very well!
    Wedge adjustment is critical - it has to be firm, but it is possible to be too tight, which makes hitching/unhitching hard to very hard to do.
    After unhitching, the pin box may be slightly angled off from the trailer. No problem, usually, as long as you back straight in to the pin box, and not the trailer. BUT, if you drop your tailgate, watch the corners. I learned how to repair the fiberglass skin of my fifth after a slight angle back in. After that, I would back in until almost hitched, then put up the tailgate, and finish the backing.
    ALWAYS check when picking up the trailer at the dealer (or anyone else who may move it) and make sure the locking bolts are removed. My dealer forgot, and had me drive away when I was a newbie. Kinda bad if the fifth has no way to pivot at all. Dealer had to send a tow truck, replace the entire pin box, replace the hitch, and pay for a frame shop to inspect the truck.
    Last edited by sande005; 03-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Ummm, hate to be the bearer, and probably too late to this thread...but.....
    B&W as of a couple of years ago used to explicitly warn against using any extended wedge type pin box with their hitches. I see no reference on their site anymore, but it would really be worth the call....

I had a Reese Revolution, which is almost a duplicate of the Turning Point. Truck had a 6.5 box. I still have ruts in my yard where I inadvertently did 90's while backing into the drive, so it worked very well!
    Wedge adjustment is critical - it has to be firm, but it is possible to be too tight, which makes hitching/unhitching hard to very hard to do.
    After unhitching, the pin box may be slightly angled off from the trailer. No problem, usually, as long as you back straight in to the pin box, and not the trailer. BUT, if you drop your tailgate, watch the corners. I learned how to repair the fiberglass skin of my fifth after a slight angle back in. After that, I would back in until almost hitched, then put up the tailgate, and finish the backing.
    ALWAYS check when picking up the trailer at the dealer (or anyone else who may move it) and make sure the locking bolts are removed. My dealer forgot, and had me drive away when I was a newbie. Kinda bad if the fifth has no way to pivot at all. Dealer had to send a tow truck, replace the entire pin box, replace the hitch, and pay for a frame shop to inspect the truck.
    Thanks for the heads up, I’ll give them a call just to be safe. What I did see is that they have a warning against using with their gooseball single point set up, there’s a clear descriptive warning against it in the owners manual but nothing in the OEM puck mounts like I plan on using in my Ford. Still worth a call though either way.
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is correct. From what I have read you can not use a wedge with the Anderson or Pullrite super lite because there isn't a place for the wedge to lock out the kingpin rotation. What I have also learned is that you can not use the turning point with the Blue Ox Super Ride (in any configuration, ISR or gooseball) or the Demco Recon gooseball version, the rail mount Recon seems fine for use with a wedge though. Basically what I can gather is that there isn't a gooseball mounted hitch that is acceptable for use with the turning point. B&W does make a wedge for their hitches but those are only to be used in rail or puck mounted applications, again not with a single point (gooseball) attachment.
    I have been using the Blue Ox slider (gooseball version) with the kingpin locked out on my 220rk for about a year with no issues or interference. I also used it with the AUH several times with no issues.

What the manufacturers are saying is that you can't use a rotating hitch with the gooseball mounted fiver hitches if the pin is rotating as long as the wedge is in place there isn't a problem
    Last edited by johndeerefarmer; 03-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast